Why are you mad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Kaura

Kaura biding his time

I guess so but it's kinda risky because I don't know which of the parts still work. I guess I should just get an used power supply first and see it that works.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If it's not a very old machine, it should be pretty straitforward to troubleshoot it. And if you're considering it to be a loss already, then you've got nothing to lose by trying to fix it.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  3. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

@TedEH is right- check out some YouTube videos on build troubleshooting. You can likely narrow things down a LOT just with what you have now; especially if it's a newer motherboard.

4. Kaura

Kaura biding his time

I build it back in 2015 so it's fairly new. But it's still so cryptic. The gpu and motherboard lights turn on when I plug it in but it just won't start, except for a fraction of a second.

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If it literally has no power, then look at power supply. If it turns on but just doesn't display anything, then look for things like numbers on the motherboard, or weird beeping patterns -> both are often used as error codes to tell you what's wrong.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I built my machine originally in 2013 and didn't know what I was doing. Turned out fine. Computers are not as fragile as you might think, just don't do anything ridiculous to it.

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

So apparently my 1.5 year old who loves guitar pedals has stolen my VFE Scream and the only center-positive power supply I own which goes to the Eventide H9. On top of that, I bought a Kingtone Fuzz Mini which only takes center-positive power. Luckily I have that one power supply... oh wait, nevermind.

8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Have you tried resetting your motherboard cmos? Disconnect power and remove the battery from the motherboard and wait for a while and then put them back. My PC that's built around the same time did similar stuff and the reset solved it.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I reactivated my Facebook after turning it off for a week. My anxiety instantly spiked. I re-deactivated it 20 minutes later.

watson503 and Seabeast2000 like this.
  10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've been trying to order a mechanical keyboard since early April - attempt #1: store took my money and never shipped anything, and never responded to my attempts to contact them, so after a month passed I cancelled the charges through Visa. Attempt #2 cost more money but at least managed to ship something, but they sent it through UPS. UPS in Ottawa is a shitshow right now. Canada Post? Maybe a day or two behind. Fedex? I've heard no complains, but who knows. UPS? According to the reddit, they have a backlog of something like 20-30 trucks that haven't been unloaded at the depots in Ottawa. Most people are waiting at least a week past the original deliver date for their packages.

I get that it's probably very hard on the people working there, so my complaint is not for the people working, but someone somewhere at UPS must have screwed something up to put everyone in that spot. They're the only courier that I'm aware of being so unable to handle the extra work. And I'm just immensely frustrated that my attempts to get some things to make working at home more comfortable aren't arriving until we've already started lifting restrictions and might be going back to work soon anyway. It was money spent to ease the transition to home, and now feels like a waste.

11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Goddamned Apple and their AppStore-bullshit.

<rant>
    Last Friday, we were releasing an app. We had already submitted an earlier version for review because updates go through quicker, and it had indeed passed the review, but we never released it because it was incomplete. And you can't post a new version for review before you either release or delete the previous version - and if you delete it, you have to go through full review again. So I released it and then quickly removed it from sale and then posted the new version.
    Everything OK so far.
    Then in the middle of the night on Saturday (which I noticed on Sunday morning) I got a message from the appstore saying they need A VIDEO showing how the app works. So our project leader quickly slams together a little promo video, and we post that. By the way, the form doesn't even have a video-field, I was told to put the video link in a note ... Sounds kinda fishy. Anyway, it proceeds to review again. On Sunday evening I get another message saying the test account I provided doesn't work. Oops, I had forgotten to activate the account (we didn't have email activation in the previous version so it worked then... ). My bad, fixed it and on Tuesday the app was out.

Today, I was releasing a TestFlight version of another app I'm developing, and everything went fine up until it was in the AppStore already, but then it decides that some descriptions are missing from the Info.plist. Why doesn't it check these things before I upload the file and wait for it to process? I add these things to the info.plist and then the stupid fucker won't build because according to the build system the info.plist doesn't exist. I check it out, and turns out Xcode has moved it into some localization directory and now can't find it... Copy the file to the previous location and now it builds... Let's see what happens next :wallbash:
    </rant>

UPDATE: fvck yes, it's now in Testflight...

XPT707FX, Spaced Out Ace and TedEH like this.
  12. USMarine75

When you see a well-known YouTube gear demoer selling the pedals he got for free on Reverb for $165, when the new ones are on sale for $152. And he sold two of the four already.

C'mon, man.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm very glad that I'm soon going to be moving away from mobile for a while. :lol:

p0ke likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

shills gotta pay the bills bruh

USMarine75 likes this.
  15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

idk man I saw someone selling a drumstick allegedly thrown to him by Neil Peart for 2 grand. But the ad was gone quick; I really think someone bought it.

For some reason, celebrity is worth a lot to some people. Granted, Neil Peart certainly has more celebrity than a youtube pedal demo-er

But you know what? I like that fuckin finger picker guy who says "here's my clean tone" so much, if someone told me his pedal was 10$ more I might buy it. And I'd absolutely never use it in front of someone without first making the joke.

16. USMarine75

?

17. vilk

vilk Very Regular

edit: omfg he doesn't say it in that video wtf

18. USMarine75

But... Who hates Andy? :shrug:

19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

No one? He's my favorite pedal demo guy for sure.

You know who's the worst though? Pedal Fights. It's such a great concept and presentation, but the guy's tone is just the worst on every single video. He's got no idea how to use a distortion pedal.

20. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Some of you guys know I own a company that does cognitive memory assessments for insurance companies. It's boring as fuck so I have 3 of my wife's cousins run it for me.

Having nothing else to do, I run a FedEx route for an old friend....I'm outside, and dig the exercise. I'm the corporate trainer, so he pays me pretty well and I'm usually done by noon with 150-200 stops a day.

Trainee today, baby 130 stop run, drop dude off and head home and on the way some asshole clips me changing lanes without looking and all of a sudden I'm involved in the most savage accident I've ever had. I put my head thru a plexiglass window and lacerated my face all up, and trying to get control of an 8 ton truck separated my shoulder.

The reason I'm mad is now I gotta take some time off work and get some PT, and the bitch of it all is I just bought an (SSO approved) Ibby Prestige that shipped this morning which I won't be able to fucking play when it shows.

fml