Why are you mad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

NDAs keep me from saying anything very specific. I've started some threads before ranting about the things that annoy me about gaming, but the conversation doesn't go very far. There's not too much to really say about it. I can recommend something like Blood Sweat and Pixels - it's probably the most accurate / representative reading I've come across so far, even given the author.

lewis likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I thought as much re. The NDAs.
    I will give that a read though for sure..
    Ive always been so passionate about the gaming industry. Think its why i full on enter rant mode.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Even if it wasn't my job, I do still just really enjoy / appreciate games. I realized at one point that the industry as a whole doesn't really target my kind of gaming anymore. Maybe it's just that I'm not a teen or "young adult" anymore, so many things just aren't really targeted at me anymore.

lewis likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

went for a short hike, rolled my ankle and got soaked by a squall.

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Lady I'm seeing was supposed to come over early for breakfast, but instead breakfast got cancelled because there's no time anymore, and her roommate got invited to my bands jam for some reason?

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Who is the roommate?

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ It's a long story, and not super relevant to anything. I was just kinda grumpy in the morning. All is well.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

well since we don't have an unpopular opinions thread anymore....
    The VHT UL sucks.

9. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Cars DPF clogged again after having it unclogged 2 weeks ago.

Looks like it'll need a new one. :facepalm:

10. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Toilet seat at home is starting to give up. First it started making this dripping sound when flushing, then I opened it up and cleaned some parts and put it back together, and now it's leaking :wallbash: Luckily not onto the floor though, just into the water that's sitting in there, and just a few drops every now and then. I guess the gasket or whatever has dried up. Not a big fix, but we decided we'll replace the whole seat, since our current one doesn't have the large/small flushing options... Sucks either way.

Ozzfest likes this.
  11. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Dude, I hear ya! Our new house is about to do me in. We're having to replace BOTH of our toilets. Not sure what that cost would be in euros but in US dollars it's gonna be a total of $900. Then last week our garbage disposal took a shit on me... literally... like a smelly black shit all out the bottom of it and into the cabinet under the sink. Luckily I got it cleaned up immediately and we were able to utilize our home-warranty company to get a new one installed for only $75 ( the cost of the service call) but still... just dumping so damn much time and money into this place... never ending it seems. Add to that a garage door sensor went out yesterday so now I have to deal with that mess. I'm just tired of all this shit. As much as we loved this house at closing, it seems like as soon as we got in here that we've had nothing but problems. Hard to get excited about improvements and aesthetics when shit keeps breaking or needing replaced before we can even get to it. sorry... didn't mean to piggy-back on your rant.

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

In my experience, unless you get a new build (<10 years old), it takes about six months for every 25 years old the house is to get most things sorted to the point that it's more about "fun" than "have to" when it comes to putting work in.

Good work milking that home warranty. Get them to do as much as possible before time runs out. It can be stressful and take some run around, but it can save you $$$$.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

No worries... That's what it tends to be like.

The good part with our toilet is that my wife wanted to replace it anyway (because it's old and hard to keep clean), so now we have an excuse to do it. Looks like the seat itself will cost around 200€ and I'll have a plumber I know install it, so total price probably around 250€, which is not that bad.

EUR and USD are approximately the same right now, by the way.

14. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Thanks, Max. Yeah... I think that we came into this with an ignorant mind-set that it would be more about wants as opposed to needs. I knew some of what would need to be done at the time of inspection back in August but as the list grows, it's become a bit overwhelming. This house was built in 2001 and I guess that since we were used to living in a home built in 1942, we looked at this one as being practically brand new lol... sigh.

We're definitely going to try to utilize the home warranty co as much as we can. I would've installed a new disposal no problem but this particular one was $120 at Lowe's so it did save us a little. I put in the call around 11pm Thurs and we had the new one up and running by about 10am Friday. We're happy with them so far although when I tried to get them to replace our toilets they wouldn't budge. They would've replaced the internals but we want complete units so it's gonna come out of our pocket... win some/ lose some.

15. Spaced Out Ace

Agreed. I've never owned a house, but if I did, I would milk the home warranty of every dime you can. A friend of mine who owns a home had some issues after moving in and said the home warranty rigmarole was a lot of hoops to jump through, but was worth it for the money it saved.

16. Spaced Out Ace

Just a heads up: Just hope the place was built properly when it comes to replacing stuff. You really don't want to end up in a situation where you need to replace an entire floor just because you need to replace a relatively cheap pipe or something. I've had friends who were glad they rented because the kitchen floor needed to be completely redone as a result of idiotic construction.

17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

that's certainly an opinion.

18. MaxOfMetal

The downside to newer builds is they could have cheaper out with stuff.

You made the right call with the toilets, I've replaced the guts on a few in my time and for whatever reason it never works just right again. There are always part substitutions that a just the tiniest bit off.

Go over your home warranty paperwork. Sometimes there are options to buy into better coverage. If the projects are stacking up, it might be worth paying a couple grand upfront.

What I do is make a master list of what needs to be done and rank it by importance. Get estimates (they're free) and work out what can be done right away and what is going to be a major job. Always get at least three estimates, and compare what their notes. If one omits something, ask why. If one adds a job that others didn't recommend, talk to the other contractors about it.

19. MaxOfMetal

The one downside to home warranties, at least the few I've gotten over the years, is they like to use their own contractors. It's good from a cost savings standpoint, but I've had to pass on work because I didn't trust who they sent.

Always assume the contractor or trades person is trying to screw you, because a lot of times they are.

20. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I'm mad that we have a production candidate version of our software at work going out the door on Friday to the client, and the idiots over in QA keep raising stupid visual items as functional issues, despite being repeatedly told not to do that and to practice better judgement.