Why are you mad right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. MARKMYWORDS

MARKMYWORDS SS.org Regular

I hate my neighbors. And I broke my damn arm

2. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Old Spice deodorant destroying armpits.

3. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

interesting. what kind of problems is it giving you?

4. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Started irritating the hell out of me and gave me a rash. I looked up my symptoms after I started having the problem and found there's all kinds of lawsuits in the works against Procter & Gamble for Old Spice giving people what resembles chemical burns recently.

Luckily I got off with just minor irritation because I stopped using it at the first sign of a problem, but some people ended up with permanent scarring from whatever the hell old spice is putting in their anti-perspirant

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Getting super tired of hearing variations of "it's a shame you don't switch to a 'good genre' for a while". Why does anyone think it's appropriate to say that to someone? Would you walk up to a painter and say "it's too bad you don't paint flowers, cause your talent is wasted on the sh*t you actually like to draw"? I'll bet people do that. 'Cause people are that sh*tty. :noplease:

6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

And what are these "good genres" that these people are talking about?

I guess I'm lucky that the folks I know just ignore/disregard my interests instead of belittling them.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Usually what they mean is either country or radio friendly/dad-rock kind of stuff. Either that or whatever they happen to like. Worst part is half the time it's family. They seem to be convinced that switching to radio rock and "making it big" is the point of music.

It's like they don't understand why someone might want to play music outside of money or making a big popularity contest out of it. I'd rather play super niche tunes to 5 drunk people who are vaguely actually interested, than play something I'm not interested in to 100 people who "like anything with a good beat maaan."

I got excited about a cd I'm putting out soon- it's already done and CDs have been ordered and digital distro is setup and scheduled etc- so I was excited about having a good finished product out there, so I showed it to my uncle when he came by, and that's the response I got. "Too bad you didn't put the effort into something people would like." It's not even a heavy album by most standards.

Then I visited my parents around the same time and mentioned I had new stuff (because they had forgotten of course). They asked why I didn't give them a copy of the existing CDs.... but I did. One was never opened, none of them were ever listened to, and one (the first one) had been put up on a wall- then covered up a month later with a crayon drawing done by a 3 year old. I get wanting to put stuff up that your grandkids give you, but it stings to put it right over the cd. And it stayed like that for years. I'm pretty sure it's still there with something covering it.

I want to be exciting about putting out new music but this is the kind of response I get from people. Completely ruins any sense of excitement.

8. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I mean, I can see the logic in the sense that there's really talented folk in certain genres I'm not a huge fan of, and I'd be interested in hearing them try their hand at stuff I like.

For example: Victor Wooten isn't someone I seek out regularly, but I acknowledge his talent, and it was a real nice surprise to hear him suddenly playing Progressive Metal.

BUT, I think I know the kinds of people you're really talking about...

The people who don't quite seem to understand that, MAYBE the artist in question is playing what they want to play? And POSSIBLY- if you can believe such a preposterous idea- making music people other than them want to hear???

9. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

Best Buy should just start cattle prodding people at the door, and then charge $200 for the privilege.

10. MFB

MFB Banned

Sunburnt all over my head (again), and two blisters on my left foot so I'm walking funky. Bandaid won't stay in place either, so I had to tape it in place.

Hopefully they all go away as quick as last time

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I feel like I keep saying this, but it keeps happening.

Once again, plans keep getting cancelled at the last minute by people just not answering messages. I made some plans, texted on the day of, got an answer or two back, then as soon as I ask "so, we still doing something today? whats the plan?", all of the sudden no more messages. How does anyone think that's an ok way to bail? The two seconds it would take to say "nah not today, thanks", so that I don't have to wait all day to eventually not get an answer, when I could have been doing anything else, would be appreciated. That's what I get for trying to be social.

Maaaaan I hate people.

12. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I've found that people are generally .... at keeping plans these days. You might find a couple of people who adhere to them, but as lazy as people have gotten, more often than not, they cancel. I don't know if you're married or what have you, but I suggest making your home area a little more comfortable for yourself and start noticing the little things in your life. It helped me with this problem. Once I started making everything more convenient for myself, like here's an example. The wife and I moved our bed mattress into the floor of the living room and sometimes, we sit on the couch, sometimes we lay on the mattress. You'd not believe how comfy it is. Live life a little. .... people these. Most of them will just let you down.

Whatever you do, don't start blaming yourself for the actions of other people. When people say they have anxiety and start thinking things like: "I'm not good enough for other people, what are they saying about me, did I do something wrong?" I find that there's usually a reason for those feelings and it isn't you, it's them. When someone bails on you or gives you the cold shoulder, that's their problem unless you actually did something, and if you didn't and know you didn't, .... them.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ That's probably the most depressing answer I could have asked for. :lol:

I'm just a single dude who already basically just "lives for me". My apartment is little more than a "man cave" with guitars and video games everywhere, so that's a non-issue. And I absolutely don't blame myself- I've done everything in my power to be decent to people and I actively reach out to people to go out and be social and do things- cause that's something my life is lacking sometimes- and I would expect that given how much people like to complain about their lack of friends and how online has become a poor substitute for real socializing, etc. that people would be really receptive to that kind of thing. But I guess not. Seems like people are more interested in staying home and posting memes about how they're sad about not going out, than actually going out.

It's just incredibly frustrating. I'm putting legitimate effort in to try to connect with people on some level, but I end up treated like an after thought.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I don't know if my situation relates at all, but I feel like I've had a sort of similar issue recently. I have normally been the type of person to have a couple real close friends and that's about it. A couple years ago I felt like I needed to expand my circle of friends and started hanging out with more "social" people. While doing this, I found myself constantly encountering the types of situations you're describing, where I was constantly getting blown off or just ignored and it really got to me. I found myself constantly competing for people's time and often got blown off because they were doing things they found more exciting or tired from doing things they found more exciting.

For me, the solution was a matter of figuring out my "real" friends and just sticking with a small group of people who actual give a .... about me. It's a shame because some of the people I've grown apart from I really enjoyed spending time with, but they were just so flaky and inconsiderate when trying to make plans it eventually wasn't worth the headache.

15. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I highly recommend Aziz Ansari Live At Madison Square Garden comedy routine. He pretty much covers this phenomenon perfectly. Basically we've become so much more connected that we aren't willing to actually commit to ANYTHING anymore as a culture. It was surprisingly insightful on the matter.

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think I've seen that one before, I'll have to rewatch it sometime.

Funny enough, I've been watching that show Aziz created - Master of None. The first season had some great examination of a lot of these modern kinds of complaints.

17. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

And, of course, the connected-ness eliminates plausible deniability about missed connections, so it's more obvious when you're being blown-off. "Oh, somehow I can know what your last three meals were and where your cat is sleeping right now because of FB, but my texts are invisible?!"

We all know that essentially we can't hide from each other, so maybe the overt acts of hermit-ing are kind of a perhaps-understandable reaction to that.

It's hard to not get mad even if you shouldn't, and it's hard to figure out whether you're seeing society change or the relationships change.

18. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Yeah, now we have Facebook and cell phones, so the excuse of 'missing' the message or call is an obvious lie when in the past people probably did the same we just weren't aware it was happening to some extent.

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't think "even if you shouldn't" is even part of the equation. You SHOULD be mad. I don't care if we're "living in the future", social media is not an excuse for people being anti-social d*cks. When someone treats me like sh*t, I don't look for reasons to excuse them. If anything, this extra connected-ness means there are fewer excuses.

That being said, I think I've gotten over being mad about this past weekend finally. Just had a bad weekend overall, I think. Had the one friend bail on me, but there were other things bugging me that just compounded the terribleness of the weekend as a whole. But that's done and gone, and weather is finally starting to get decent, and hopefully will be a jam night today, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo whatever, s'all good.

20. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I know what I commented earlier probably wasn't what you wanted to see or hear, and trust me, I'm not making excuses for people that bail on you. Sad as it is, that seems to be the new norm. Hell I used to just think that people bailed on me because they don't like the way I look. I've got three or four good friends these days and that's it and half the time, two of them are annoying as hell, but if I want to keep being social, I kind of have to deal with it.