Why are you happy right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Epic Riggs ftw.

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

BenjaminW likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

TIL that you can make Amazon alexa do fart noises. No idea why it's a thing, but it is and it had me in tears

4. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I soldered pickup wiring for the first time....and it actually worked lol

It was easier than I thought it would be. I just need 3 hands is all.

5. KnightBrolaire

buy a helping hand/ wiring octopus. They're perfect for holding wires in place and helping with soldering ime.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  6. thebeesknees22

doc_ock.0.jpg

That could work! Maybe!

ImNotAhab likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  8. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

Having electricity that's not dying out (at this time anyway) and running water again after this winter storm is something to be happy about and not take for granted.
    It's a positive change of pace in the midst of some negative tripe ranging from menial matters such as encountering a few lousy folks, other inconveniences in the meantime, to more substantial issues such as the joke of an infrastructure and dismal leadership that made way for this situation.

watson503 likes this.
  9. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

Co-signed. Today is the first day we've had power all day and after going without power for 34 hours straight and most of the time since this all started early Monday, it's nice to finally be somewhat warm.

10. thebeesknees22

11. thebeesknees22

Geez dudes. Happy ya'll got some power and heat running now. Stay safe down there.

12. thebeesknees22

bah double post

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

14. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Found a cocktus in the garden

a.jpg

15. KnightBrolaire

They are extremely helpful. I use mine all the time

p0ke likes this.
  16. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I left SSO a few days before my first covid vaccination Feb 2nd. Since that time, life has been a bit challenging but here I sit... alive and kicking ( sorry to those that hoped I was gone for good) and I guess this is as good a place as any to share some of the highlights of the past week. And hey... I haven't posted on SSO in a while so this was bound to be a long one!

Sun Feb 14- Just a chilly day like any other late-winter day. My wife left for work and because we knew that some seriously cold temps and possible precipitation was coming, I went ahead and wrapped a couple layers of foam insulation around our outdoor pipes. After that, I wrapped/ insulated our water heater in the garage and made some additional provisions to prepare for the incoming cold. By midday we began seeing sleet/ freezing rain but it wasn't all that concerning to me as I figured it wouldn't stick. But it did stick and throughout the day came down harder and harder. By evening, I contacted my wife and told her not to try to drive home in her car.. that I'd pick her up in my Jeep. By 1:30 a.m our electricity shut down but luckily we have gas heat and that was still working so we went to bed warm... although a bit restless.

Mon Feb 15- I didn't sleep much Sunday night and continued to monitor the precipitation which by midnight was coming down as snow and it was heavy... like I've never seen in central Texas. By sunrise it looked surreal outside... everything blanketed in deep snow and along with some significant wind, a good deal of drifting. So as I started to open the garage door, something malfunctioned, leaving me to have to operate it manually. No biggie... just an inconvenience but aggravating nonetheless given the circumstances. Roads were solid ice with 6" of snow on top and at least in our county, we have no city plowing services and there was no sign of any salt trucks operating. By the time that I picked her up later that evening, roads were as bad or worse with continued lack of maintenance. Fortunately it was like a ghost town as travel was treacherous and there were almost no businesses open. My wife by that time had been there over 10 hours and because almost all managers/ associates had called in, she was left to pick up a LOT of slack. Needless to say, she was exhausted and stressed by the time we made it home. We still were without power but were acclimating to the increasing inconveniences and staying appreciative of the things that we did have... warmth, limited food supply, water, working toilets, and each other.. strange combo but these things stand out in situations like this.

Tues Feb 16th- Another day similar to Monday but driving was a bit more dangerous due to melting and refreezing on the roadways. The Jeep performed like a champ but during the increasingly cold temperatures, I had to do some automotive maintenance that put my bare hands and achy joints to the test. By this time we were seeing low temps around 7 to -2 degrees ( -13 to -16 Celsius ) and highs in the low to mid 20's ( -6/ -3c). I think that the lowest windchill that we'd had at this point was -13 ( -25c). We left her car abandoned another day and decided to bring it home whenever it felt safe enough to do so.

Wed Feb 17th- By Wednesday we were running out of emergency firewood due to burning it in an effort to reduce our dependence on our heating utility service. So after dropping her off at work for another hellish day, I decided to fire up the chainsaw and take down our dilapidated gazebo in the backyard. We were planning to demolish this cedar structure sometime in the spring anyway, but now seemed as good a time as any. Fortunately, a good part of it was dry so it was ready to burn. At some point on Wednesday we began to see intermittent/ erratic electricity restoration... off for 30-60 mins/ on for 10-15 mins. It proved quite frustrating especially at night but with candles and flashlights now the norm, we just continued to make the best of it. Unfortunately, our electric water heater was well below capacity with no ability to replenish enough hot water for showers and although my wife seems to never stink, my most recent shower had taken place the previous Saturday evening so I was getting awfully ripe.

Thursday Feb 18th- Roads were finally clear enough for us to go pick up her car. This was the first day that my wife was off work and she was drained and at her breaking point. She remarked to me that she felt like she wasn't even doing it for a paycheck anymore. She said that with so many people coming in in need of basic necessities, that she just couldn't abandon her feeling of responsibility to them and to her very few team members that were still braving the elements and awful road conditions to come in. Worth noting here that her company was the ONLY place that was or had been open since Sunday evening when the rest of our city completely shut down. But yeah... this crisis was now exposing her sincere commitment and humanity towards her employees and to her community. This was sobering and humbling for me to witness and only served to strengthen my respect and appreciation for the person that she has become in the time that we've been together. But now we had a new issue as our water service completely shut down. I immediately went to check the pipes and the main valve at the street and found no breakage... later discovering that our city water utility was operating under low/ no pressure. Our water was already under a boil-order for consumption due to contamination, but now... no water at all. Thankfully we have/ had several gallons of bottled water so we felt lucky.

And that brings me to this morning, Friday February 19th. All precipitation has subsided and yesterday for the first time since mid-day Sunday, we made it above freezing for a couple hours. Today we are finally seeing the sun although with a clear night last night, we were back down into the low 20's. We're expecting the sunshine to warm us up today into the mid 30's and then tonight... thankfully should be the last night that we dip below freezing. We don't yet know the collateral damage that all of this weather has caused to our home, to our pipes, to our water heater, to our garage door electronics, to our water and gas service, to our landscaping plants/ trees. But this has been the first morning that we feel like we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. And finally... I'm starting to feel some of this stress and anxiety diminishing. So did we make it through unscathed? I dunno for sure... certainly we'll never forget this unprecedented event. But I'm beyond happy to finally be at the tail-end of this physically and emotionally demanding week. And although I don't know how accurate this is, I've heard that at some point on Wednesday, we were within minutes of having the whole grid collapse... potentially throttling us into a period of weeks that we would've been without power/ electricity. Super happy that we dodged that bullet!

So to anyone still reading, Thank you! I hope that everyone is doing well. Much peace/ much love.

17. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

My bands record got released on vinyl today. Pretty cool.

Ordacleaphobia, Millul, p0ke and 2 others like this.
  18. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

wrote one of the best breakdowns i have ever come up at band practice last night. nothing my old band could have done bc i could never convince our old drummer to chill out and let things breathe some times. pretty happy right now and can't wait for rehearsal next week. music is life!!

Millul and p0ke like this.
  19. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Quite a read! welcome back, I'm glad you guys made it through all of that!
    Also, I always really appreciate the way you talk about your wife, it's refreshign to see such a perspective about one's partner - it's not common!

20. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Here's to 1,000 messages on SSO!

Who knows where I'd be now if I didn't find out about this forum almost 4 years ago?

Spaced Out Ace and BlackMastodon like this.