Why are you happy right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

[​IMG]

♪OOOOHHHHHH it's beginning to look a looooot liiiike CHRIIIIIISTMAAASSS♫

SD83, Mathemagician, Millul and 2 others like this.
  2. MFB

MFB Banned

Revised my resume so I can start looking for new jobs. Hitting 5 years at my current employer on Monday, and roughly 3.5 years in my current role that I'm now entirely over doing; tired of having to be the one holding everyone's hand when we're all working on the same jobs that are always the same things. I want to go back to doing something I actually felt comfortable doing and know how to do well.

Mathemagician likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

daft punk makes excellent lounge music.

4. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I'll try to keep this "happy moment" brief. Generally speaking, my wife had a fairly shitty childhood. But one of the bright spots was Christmas at her grandparents. That's the backstory. Fast fwd to a couple weeks ago and we were looking thru her old photo-album and as she was looking at one particular Christmas pic, she exclaimed something to the effect of "OMG I remember these ornaments! I used to love touching them!" I was like "Cool!" but kinda shrugged it off as far as she could tell.

Next day I went into sleuth-mode to see if I'd be able to track down anything similar to it. Keep in mind that it was a pretty crappy pic to begin with. Looked everywhere that I could think of and although I found some that were similar, I couldn't find the exact ones and figured they just don't make em anymore. but before giving up I decided to give etsy a shot and after scanning thru a couple pages... success! ( maybe lol). They not only looked similar but pretty much exact so I grabbed 10 of em hoping they'd be close to what she remembered.

Fast fwd to a couple days ago when we were putting up the tree. As we started hanging ornaments, I stopped her and brought in the package that I had gift-wrapped. She was like "Huh??". She opened it up and immediately started bawling... just flat out bawling. Shit... she was actually trembling a little bit. I mean, needless to say, she was overjoyed and said that they were identical to the ones that she'd remembered as a kid.

Anyway... I think that what resonated with me even more than her visual memory of these ornaments, was her tactile recollection. Seeing something that you experienced as a kid is one thing but the other senses are just as stimulating... ( sometimes even more-so I guess). Seeing her run her fingers over these ornaments as she so mindfully placed each one on the tree was so absolutely cool. Here's a pic of one of em. They really are lovely and they sparkle like crazy. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and I sincerely hope that all of you have a good Christmas this year despite all that 2020 has thus far put us through.

Oh, and I honestly did condense this as much as I could lol.

[​IMG]

5. MFB

MFB Banned

Ran a 40:23 time for 5 miles, curious to see how my legs feel tomorrow. Keeping that 7.5/8mph pace after the 2 mile mark started to feel like a real grind.

SD83 and Seabeast2000 like this.
  6. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Great story, HPD! Thank you for sharing it with us!
    It made me happy just reading it :)

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

You should have the slanted neck pocket and slanted frets and then just do straight scale.

Goddamn that is adorable. You rule. I wanna be this cool. (That is not sarcasm- just adding this to be safe.)

Jelly. You’re going to feel like jelly. Running is the woooOOOOOoooOOOOrst!

Millul and High Plains Drifter like this.
  8. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

Dude that was pretty incredible. Such stark contrast to so many guys that are just emotionally incompetent or even use whatever emotional understanding they have as leverage over women. Thanks for posting, it's a great example for folks out there who might need a little inspiration to take things up a notch in their relationships. Not just the thoughtfulness of the gift, but the way you experienced it with her.

9. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Not sure if you guys realize how much your kind words mean but thank you. I've spent a great deal of my life not really fitting in nor feeling comfortable expressing personal experiences like this so the receptiveness here is quite humbling and welcome to say the least. My wife came along at a time that was otherwise fairly dark and uncertain for me. To love and appreciate someone so genuine, compassionate, and positive as her, comes very easy. It still amazes me that healthy relationships can develop even within the most broken of hearts and although I often feel that I will never measure up to what she deserves, what's so incredible to me is that to this day, she has never made me feel that way.

She absolutely loves Christmas but this one will be very different due to the pandemic, financial strain, etc. I was hoping to have my PRS S2 sold by now so that I could've gotten her a few things that she wants but sadly that hasn't happened yet. Fortunately she's not at all materialistic lol so I'll just continue doing what I can to hopefully make this holiday special for her. And despite not having much of a Christmas this year, we've got a roof over our heads and food to eat and we have each other. And right now, that seems like a lot... especially when we consider those that are far less fortunate right now. Let's hope that 2021 will be much better for us all. Thank you guys again. I sincerely appreciate your kindness and support.

10. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Woah, easy boss- I'm not a satanist :lol:

Literally the spirit of the holiday. Preach, man- having good people in your life is all we can ask for.

High Plains Drifter and Millul like this.
  11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I fumbled slanted pickups and typo’d “frets”. Ugh. But yeah. Optical illusion time!

12. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Well, the other guys here expressed it much better than I did, but I think everyone who read could relate to the kind of feelings that both your wife and you experienced when she saw and touched the decorations you got her - these epiphanies can be super intense and some times overwhelming, and what really hit home for me was your level of "connection" with your wife, which transpired from your actions and from your words, how you told us this tale.

That's relationship-goal stuff, mate - thanks for the inspiration!

13. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

A song by my band got played on BBC radio one's rock show this evening.

14. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I bought these as my studio shoes. I regret nothing.

[​IMG]

15. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

16. MFB

MFB Banned

See what happens when you take on anyone?

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

His last comment I saw was about 15 year old boys and 25 year old women not being "pedophilia." What a twat.

18. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  19. John

Yeah, it was absolutely full of cringe, and they finally got their Twitter account suspended from the aforementioned. What makes that even more pathetic and awkward was their one hit blunder song "Headstrong" was part of the Kidz Bop album compilation.

20. John

"This is not where you belong."

-FB, Instagram, Twitter

XPT707FX likes this.