Why are you happy right now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Faine, Apr 18, 2012.

1. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

on that topic, the main problem with reddit is the voting system. if you don't have the "right" opinion on something, no one will see your post. the worst part is, subreddits have the ability to turn off comment voting. i used to slum the aspergers subreddit(which is extremely depressing btw) cause im a bit of a sperg myself, and due to the sometimes sensitive nature of autistic people, they disabled voting all together. you could see everything, no one was cool for making an epic joke or reference.

2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Maaaaan do I want to pick your brain. Been looking at the Synergy system for a bit.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In fairness, I don't know that this is a reddit problem so much as just the state of the world/internet at the moment. Things are very politically touchy right now. I was "called out" the other day for having things in my youtube recommendations that someone didn't like - the whole "dude, that's really not cool" treatment because a controversial youtuber showed up in my recommendations at all - as if that must mean I share that youtubers politics.

On a more positive note - I think I finally got a Saturday off to myself, without having to ask for it or make people cancel their plans or have some other reason to feel bad about it.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

Oh don't worry, I'll add to the synergy thread with my detailed thoughts/ demo vids in a week or two.

Mathemagician likes this.
  5. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel I keep my dad jokes in a dad-a-base.

My NGD is here!! Probably not going to do an "official" NGD for it because pretty much everyone has one of these and there are pics out there everywhere, unless you guys are interested enough...got myself a Jackson JS22-7 in satin black with the Amaranth fingerboard, and holy hell, this one is so much better than the last one I had (the Musician's Friend special with the maple board) that I am still having a hard time believing this thing is really mine. Anyways, off to go bludgeon the strings of doom, hope you guys are happy too! :D

119095213_3419277944760144_8901166819482490756_n.jpg 119235736_336028957514406_3178250303274343561_n.jpg

6. MFB

MFB Banned

Happy's not quite the word, more just like relieved, since after making this post about three weeks back, I'm back up to 3 miles in a hair over 9 minutes each. This week is going to be rough for getting to do, well anything besides work - one deadline every day as the only drafter on them for my trade - but if I can keep my every third day pace going, I've got probably another week before I can start adding more time on without dying.

7. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

someone from the michigan chapter of the world metal scene was at our show on friday. they messaged us after and said they want do a segment on us. pretty fucking awesome.

playing a show this weekend with a bunch of country bands. i was and still am skepitcal of the reactions we will get but the guy who wants us to play really loves metal so whatever. hopefully after we play our set we get a lot of stares and you should find jesus comments. hahaha.

8. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Boss knows I’m about ready to quit, offers me 3 weeks out of state to train guys. Easy days, maybe 3-4 hours, $100 per day diem and $2.5k per week for 3 weeks.

Plus I get to see family while I’m out.

I’m still quitting after lol

9. KnightBrolaire

10. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

I want that. And that huge Schecter sticker.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw it was "oooooh, spicy!"
    I don't know why. I like it though.

12. MFB

MFB Banned

Managed to get myself to a consistent 3-mile pace at no more than 27:30, so now I'm moving back up to working on my 4-mile pace; came in yesterday for the first time this year at 35:37, so that's not far off from my old pace, just feels much worse with the mask covering nose/mouth.

13. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian Contributor

The new Alpha Wolf record finally dropped and it is just as bone-crushing as I was hoping.
    Which was...extremely. The singles were so good I was scared this was gunna be another classic case of "Yeah the singles go hard but the rest of the disc is kinda weak."

It was not.

14. KnightBrolaire

I saw a meme comparing Greg Doucette (an IFBB pro) to Puri Puri Prisoner. Probably the hardest I've laughed in a while

15. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Started a new project at work that's supposed to be done by the beginning of December. I Immediately thought to myself I'm never gonna make that deadline, because I have no experience in VoIP, which is the core of the app... But to my surprise, three working days into the project I already have the VoIP part fully functional :cheers:

16. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Posting now since depression quickly surfaces and fucks me back into that hole.

But yeah... It's my wife's birthday today and as a dude who has always aspired to make sure that my sentiments are sincere and unique, I expended a good deal of thought and subsequent anxiety to achieve that again this year. It's just been so hard lately... depression, financial woes, lack of enthusiasm, etc. But I've never half-assed her special day and needed to make sure that this year would be no exception.

So with limited funds this year, I hit up Goodwill recently and found a beat-up picture frame for all of $4. I brought it home and thoroughly cleaned the glass, sanded down and filled the dents and repainted it. Then I hit up her photo-album and found a lovely pic of my wife as a baby along with her beloved aunt and her recently deceased mother. I scanned and enlarged the pic and printed it out. I then cut a mat from some old illustration board ( I used to cut mats all day long as an advertising-design student in college but it's been many years). Got it all matted, mounted, etc.. and damn... it looks GREAT!

And then out of the blue, I finally sold a couple pedals that I've had for sale for a while. So I grabbed that pittance and headed off to Hobby Lobby in a very ambitious venture for some fresh acrylics, brushes, and canvas. I haven't done any artwork ( of this kind of medium) for many many years so this was a bit daunting. But I really wanted to do this because I had an image/ idea in my head for a while now that I felt was finally time to bring to life. There's a whole story behind that but I digress. So with a blank canvas and good deal of apprehension, I gave it a shot. Well... I just finished it up and although not perfect, it came out pretty good! Hopefully it will be dry before she wakes up in a couple hours lol.

Lastly... the card. Cards mean a lot to my wife and she even waits until the actual day of her birthday to open up any cards that she's received in the mail lol. And I always make sure to get her a card that genuinely expresses how I feel and that's designed with something as beautiful as she is to me. About a month ago at the post office, I found that card but unfortunately couldn't afford to buy it at that time. But I went back a couple days ago and there was one left so I enthusiastically snagged it! It was blank inside but that was no issue as last night I just poured my most intimate and sincere feelings onto the card-stock and within minutes, I was running out of room. I wrapped up my thoughts and sealed it up just as the sun was coming up this morning... whew!

So to wrap this all up, I was able to turn a cash-poor and unsettled situation into a success and at least for today... if what I've done brings a genuine smile to her face, then it has all been worth it. I just wanted to share this cause I guess... for now... I'm happy!

p0ke, Mathemagician, XPT707FX and 4 others like this.
  17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I really enjoy how wholesome that whole post is.

18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I take notes any time High Plains Drifter posts about his relationship. :lol:

Hope your wife loved the gifts, man!

19. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Thank you for the support and kindness. I'm usually pretty apprehensive to post things like this cause... well, the babbling is just outta control!

She cried so so much.

This year has been especially stressful on her due to her job, the lurking covid, and all of the challenges that have come with our new home. And on top of these things she's still processing the loss of her mom. She works 48-50 hrs a week but is off today so I wanted her to relax in bed for however long she wanted. When she awoke, I had some relaxing meditative piano music resonating thru the house and one of her gifts sitting on the kitchen table. She opened the card first ( I told her that it must be from Jaida cause it looked like a kitty cat's handwriting). It wasn't long before the tears began to flow and as she opened up the framed picture of her mom, my eyes became moist as well. Then I told her about the vision that I had carried around with me for quite a while... and how that led to my desire to share that vision with her because in reality, she helped to create it. She hadn't opened that one yet btw as I still had it hidden in the other room. But I told her that amidst all of the struggles and hardships that we've endured and how with all of the uncertainty that we face each and every day, that the one constant solace within my heart is each night that we lie together in bed... that solitude and security... no matter what we're facing... knowing that at least in that moment, everything is okay. And that's when I revealed the abstract painting of she and I and our silly little kitty cat all snuggled together in bed... interpreted in broad strokes across the canvas... and she cried... the tears just streaming down her beautiful face. And then I cried... Shit, the cat was probably crying at that point I dunno. But she just gazed for so long at that painting... mesmerized by the sentiment and so beyond happy in that moment... no stress, no tedium, no outside influence... simply at one with everything around her and of the life that we've committed to... together... always and forever as is my devotion to her and I think, hers is to me.

Alright... I'm done. Thanks again so much for just being who y'all are. It means more than you know.

p0ke, BlackMastodon, XPT707FX and 2 others like this.
  20. JeremyJayE

JeremyJayE SS.org Regular