Why are Suhr 7s so rare now?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by oremus91, Sep 24, 2020.

1. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

I am turning 50 and like traditional shapes. I still like metal shapes if you will, stars, explorers, etc. But when these Suhr 7's were announced, I was interested because they lean traditional. My issue was for price, I will have Schecter USA build me guitars to my EXACT spec and not choose from options. Schecter USA custom is incredible value, but the Masterworks series is truly one at a time whatever you want builds. ESP custom shop Japan would be the other company, and both are owned by the same man.

I know there are boutique builders out there, but MANY of those builds are hit and miss. And I usually find the common problem NOT to be build quality, but a very sterile and lifeless tone...and pickups I don't care for.

So to me at this point in my life, I don't do semi-custom. Picking your woods, colors, pickups, neck profile to piece together a "custom guitar" is not really custom. I am very particular about my necks, and almost all the other builders do not offer a full custom guitar for anywhere near the price of Schecter...and Schecter builds a better guitar IMHO anyhow, so it's a win-win for me.

Themistocles and Robotechnology like this.
  2. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

I agree about some boutique builds being impeccably built but, sterile sounding (or in my case I usually find some TOO BRIGHT). That’s actually why I have no problems buying Tom Anderson guitars sight unseen... they are consistently the best sounding boutique guitars in my opinion. Of my 6, only 1 was purchased trying it out in person.

I have 2 Schecter USA guitars so I agree on the quality and reasonable pricing (and consistently good sounding too) of Schecter USA guitars (not sure of Masterworks pricing though).

MIJ ESP Custom however, as much as I love them, I think are CRAZY expensive. Can’t wrap my head around $6K+ guitars.

Themistocles and oremus91 like this.
  3. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I think of ESP Japan like the PRS Artist series, you're paying a premium to get the best of the best that brand makes short of going full custom shop/private stock. I've never heard of anyone who shelled out for one and got a disappointing guitar.

Shawn likes this.
  4. Roth

Roth SS.org Regular

I did not know Suhr 7 strings are as rare as they are but here is mine. Enjoy! The pics do not do the flame Koa justice.

Attached Files:

5. Roth

Roth SS.org Regular

Welcome to Suhr guitars!

Attached Files:

6. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

Masterworks pricing from Schecter is excellent. Like all things, if you go crazy with 5a woods all the way round, crazy inlays, etc. the price gets up there. Having played several exhibition grade NAMM ESP guitars and many Masterworks, the quality is about equal to me. In general I would say a basic Masterworks is $4500 and up and ESP $5500 and up. But for those prices you are getting premium woods and every single spec made to order. It gets nutty with custom made hardware and inlay, then you are easily in the $8k range and up.

And I agree about Tom Anderson guitars. They are consistently amazing and between Schecter USA custom and TA I would have a hard time picking...but Masterworks Schecter is the best I have come across for getting exactly what a customer wants without insane pricing.

7. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I have played a couple of newer ones and they were total crap - very pretty crap, but crap. The older ones only ranged from meh to good, with an occasional spectacular one. Not the case now.

RevelGTR likes this.
  8. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

I’ve had my Standard 9 years and didn’t appreciate it as much until the first time I gigged with it. It is stellar and never will be for sale. Sends out all the right frequencies when playing live! My GG ain’t no slouch either but, I have sold and played some Suhr models that were in my (and some of my friends’) opinion(s) too bright and I haven’t found that with a Tom Anderson as of yet (Yes I’m sure they exist too but, not with my experience of about 20 of them so far). Truthfully I just lucked upon my TAG 7... wasn’t looking for one but I’m a sucker for rosewood necks and it was sold on a forum where I probably knew 10% of the members in real life (including the seller) so I bought it. Don’t regret at all! Wouldn’t mind a 24 fret 7 from Suhr myself honestly—just probably would rather play it first to make sure I like all the frequencies it puts out. Never need to worry about playability and craftsmanship with Suhr’s just some of them are too dang bright for me (or accentuate certain midrange tones I’m not fond of).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I had to go back and pull up the spec sheet from my inbox (and I can now confirm this was a late 2012 order I picked up in 2013, so I've had her a bit more than 7 years), but this was in fact a 5A birdseye. I'm actually a little surprised by that, it's very nice figuring but it seems a little unlike me to go for SUPER premium birdseye, I'd have figured I'd have just gone for the 3A and been done with it.

I played an Anderson and Suhr 7 back to back before ordering this, and it was definitely the feel of the neck that was the thing that tipped me towards Suhr - I'd always wanted an Anderson 7, back in the day. As far as diminishing returns, yeah, absolutely... And, my 752AHM isn't THAT much inferior to this guitar, no argument. But, that last couple percentage points of awesome is what seperates a stellar guitar that you never get out of your head from a merely "nice" guitar, and if you're in a position where you'll appreciate the difference, know exactly what you would want in a custom-spec'd guitar, and can afford to do it, then it's definitely worth it. I've been playing guitar nearly 25 years and have worked my ass off professionally to get to a point where I can buy expensive guitars if I want. I haven't gone nuts, exactly, and one of the guitars I own that still gets the most playtime is a 1997 American Standard Strat I saved up for years in high school to afford, but I'm fortunate enough to have been able to order a couple extremely nice guitars that do exactly what I want them to do.

But, Suhr is definitely one of a handful of good options if what you're after is some variation on a "nicer Stratocaster/superstrat." Sort of a modern feature/classic vibe, and extremely high build quality. I've played a bunch of Suhrs over the years, and none of them has been any worse than "very nice" while a few of them (my modern 6 first and foremost, I got extremely fortunate there) have been truly spectacular.

budda likes this.
  10. Themistocles

Themistocles SS.org Regular

Its so tricky because I can pick a wonderfully built guitar and it plays like impeccable furniture, but not much of an instrument personality wise. I started with viola so coming from the world of acoustics I just assumed all electrics were you know, kinda dead where the tone was mostly pickups, the amp and fingers. About 20 years ago I got a carvin 747 but what I really wanted was a 7 string holdworth (which they didnt do then). Still I ordered the 2 piece alder quartersawn neck and on a 7 it really is alive. I dont think it effects the fundamental tone but the overtones and haptic resonant feedback is great. Its weird and such a crap shoot when having something made vs. trying something out off the rack and see if it speaks to you. I think custom guitars are even more complicated and fraught than bespoke tailoring.

I think the real trick is having a clear design philosophy of what you want then great communication with the builder. My carvin certainly wasnt bespoke but they did take my communication for lively alder neck... with some chaotic grain in the maple top and alder neck... I figured I wanted character and they took their time with the alder and top. Finding someone who listens, comprehends and executes is luck and dilligence on the part of the commissioning guitarist? Some builders dont take any direction (violin builders are the worst at this) but sometimes they know better than the client. Question is how refined and practical are your tastes in what you ask for? I kinda want to work with some mad scientist who builds idiomatic guitars for the challenge next... make it a journey.

If I were looking at Suhr 7's Id just want to try an existing one... not order it ahead of time. If you already have 1 then perhaps a special order is the next step.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Robotechnology likes this.
  11. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

I agree...and I’m one of those guys. As an Ibanez enthusiast for years, I’ve hesitated to buy an ESP (E-II M-II NT7) but I’m glad I did. It’s an amazing guitar.

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

While I played a Suhr 7 and ordered mine when I fell in love with the neck, the main reason I ordered one was because I wanted a seven string superstrat with a maple neck and fretboard, and either an alder or ash body, and some kind of a trem, and there really wasn't anything on the market that met those criteria at the time. I wouldn't hesitate to custom order one if there was a specific feature set you were after, as while some of the Suhrs I've played were certainly better than others, all of them have been very nice guitars. I have yet to play a true dud.

Themistocles likes this.
  13. dbrozz

dbrozz SS.org Regular

Thought I'd chime in here..

I've owned my Suhr Modern 7 since sometime in 2014.
    Killer guitar, absolutely love it. Wanted a high end super-strat and that's what it is.
    Craftsmanship is stunning, pretty much perfect! Neck feels fantastic to play. Comfortable guitar.

I do sometimes wonder what this guitar would sound like with different body/neck woods. Basswood or alder body, maple or pau ferro neck.

Definitely have gotten the urge to sell it and fund something more modern and metal a few times, given how much these do fetch for.. But it's still here.
    Besides, the incoming Aristides H/08r should hopefully solve that problem :D

StevenC, Deep Blue, sakeido and 2 others like this.
  14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't know if "rare" is the word, exactly, since it's not like you can't get one - call up a dealer, place an order, and in maybe 3-12 months you'll have one. They're just not ordered all that often, but it's not like the supply itself is somehow limited, so much as the demand has been.

@dbrozz - that's gorgeous.

dbrozz likes this.
  15. dbrozz

dbrozz SS.org Regular

Thanks Drew! It really is. Yours is beautiful too!
    For anyone on the fence.. If you love the look of the Suhr and money isn't really an issue.. I'd say go for it. They're unreal guitars!

16. RevelGTR

RevelGTR Fender, Suhr, ESP

Suhr is absolutely massive among the TGP types. The Suhr in my profile picture was, new, about $1500 less than the average Fender CS, and has a roasted neck, stainless frets etc. I can honestly say it’s the best guitar I’ve ever played.

In my honest opinion, with significant experience with all of them, something like a Caparison or Ibby Prestige isn’t close when it comes to attention to detail, overall quality, feel etc. Those are definitely badass guitars, but the Suhr was worth every penny even at its relatively expensive price.

I want to love Capas, especially given that so many of my favorite bands have played them. But I’ve owned Caparisons that I didn’t think were even as good as my most recent 1000 series Ltd.

17. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I loved my Suhr 7 initially, and it was an absolute spec beast. Had all the exotic wood options you could ever want (Waterfall Burl Top/Flamed Black Limba Body/Cocobolo Neck/Macassar Ebony FB). So it was an overall extravagant, well built instrument that embodied the best thing that Suhr could do.

But at the end of the day I didn't enjoy playing it, I personally feel like the Modern body doesn't translate ergonomically well into a 7. As a 6 it's definitely comfortable, but how much wider it is as a 7 and how thick the body is doesn't do it many favors.

If you look at the top the only ergonomic carve is the body's arm contour. And on the back there's a very minor carve to help wrap your hand around the neck joint to reach the higher frets/belly cut on the main body. It really just isn't the most comfortable 7 string out there, and it went directly against a Jackson Broderick/EBMM JPX7/Aristides 070. Those were all designed to be "out of your way", and the Suhr saw more limited playtime because of it.

I'd love it if they could revamp their Modern 7 and further modernize it a bit. It definitely wouldn't be anywhere near one of the first 7 strings I'd recommend to anyone, but it was undeniably fantastic from a build and quality standpoint.. Pics of my old one below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  18. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Gorgeous!
    Cocobolo Necks are the BEST.

RevelGTR likes this.