Why are so many guitarists going to fishman?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by SatanicToaster, Feb 9, 2017.

1. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

The market for gear is already flooded with products that some are going to call "snake oil" (i.e. sonic maximizer, high end boutique tube screamer clones, etc.).

With that being said, I went and tried a guitar equipped with the SRC Fluence set and was impressed with the sound of the set.There is already quite a bit of material available on the forums about the Fluence line already. I just ordered two sets of Moderns to replace a set of EMG 81s and a set of Juggernauts. You have to discount the endorsee reviews to some extent but I have yet to hear a review of the line that is negative in regards to versatility. Some people may not like the tone but the ground you can cover with one set of pickups is pretty remarkable.

2. Nag

Nag chugs and screams

/thread.

3. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

So, considering I have no idea about this pickups, I just saw lot of reviews showing how they sound and how amazing they are...

If I get it, they are active pickups ("Are rechargeable on your guitar. Optional lithium-ion battery pack offers weeks, not hours, of playing time.")

That means they would only fit in guitars with battery box?
    How big is the battery? Are there fishman (highouput) PU that don't need it?

4. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

They require a 9v or an optional rechargeable battery pack. If a guitar could be equipped with EMGs without routing it can most likely fit the Fluences with the only difference being the push pull pots required for all the switching you can do. Neither of my guitars had to have a battery box and even with two push pulls, the battery fits. It all depends on the guitar and control cavity.

5. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

It's not so much that they are just active it's that there's no copper windings inside the pickups any more, there a core of layerings,

search youtube for better explanations, but this is a new way of making pickups

they make rechargable packs for strats and gibsons

6. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Thanks for the clarification.

So, as long as the cavity is big enough to place the 9v battery or using one of the rechargeable packs there is no need to modify the guitar.

Looks cool, nice idea.

7. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I'm not sure why the guitarists you've mentioned use Fishman pickups lately but for me it was about trying something new instead of the good ol' EMG or SD active pups.

That being said I'm completely happy about the Fluence Modern, it really sounds like a more refined active pickup. Not sure if it's just the pickup voicing itself or a result of the unique construction.

8. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Then what did you use and like before these?

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Frank had a hand in designing them, and the only reason I'm not just writing them off as the recent "flavor of the month" trend like Kiesel or Bareknuckle is that I've known him for years, and anything he had a hand in I'm at least going to hear out, because he's that good.

So, yeah, he's pretty credible. :lol:

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Wow, what a thread...

I honestly don't care which pickups these guys are using, but I'd love to try out a set of these, simply because they are different, and I like trying things that are different. Maybe they are for me, or maybe not, but trying them on for size couldn't hurt anything. Maybe these endorsements came from people trying out these pickups and actually liking them. :2c:

I've used Fishman piezos for a long time; I was impressed by them the first time I tried them, and it never wore off. I consider this a company who is likely to make a product that I could use. That's not to say I'd write this product off if it were marketed by a company that I don't hold in high regard, but I think that it might give this a little more promise.

I felt pretty excited about Q Tuners at first, but I never managed to get my hands on them... oh well.

If you are totally happy with your pickups, of course, then I guess there's nothing to see here. :shrug:

11. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Even though I've got Moderns and Classics in 4 of my guitars I'm still not 100% sold. I prefer to use them with the hi frequency tilt on which negates what I'm sure a lot of these artists like about them (hence most if not all of the sig sets don't include the "tilt" option).

They're definitely a different beast from the pickups I'm used to.

EDIT: And yeah, Frank's the boss. He did the P-Rails with Duncan as well. Come to think of it, I preferred only one of the different primary sounds those were designed for and it's kind of the same case here.

I play most often with distortion and moderate gain but I've found that the different voices really shine when playing clean.

12. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Used an EMG 81 for a while, then switched to a SD JB which is on my main axe. Tuned to E standard or drop D. Playing thrash and hard rock.

For lower tunings I use a BKP Juggernaut in my 7 string Ibanez and used a SD Blackout for a while in drop C. Juggernaut is a bit bass heavy for my liking and the Blackout was pure mud.

Tried the Modern in E standard and in drop C for a while. I liked it in E standard a lot but it was not too different from a JB. It's a lot clearer than the JB when tuning lower though.

Currently experimenting with it in beadf#b tuning but I'm having intonation issues on my 6 string. It still sounds crystal clear though on the low strings.

13. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Darn too bad. I guess I'll just continue to believe the world revolves around money in ignorance. :lol:

14. juka

juka SS.org Regular

So you are only allowed to play Fishman Fluence when you are a buddy of Ken Susi and get paid top dollars for it???

I knew something was wrong! I play them just because I like how they sound and I even paid a lot of money for them. Stupid me!!!

15. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

If these are active, do they lack dynamics? Closer to EMGs or passives? I have a set of EMG 57/66 which are more dynamic than 8X but still not as close to passives as I'd like.

16. Yodel

Yodel Banned

They have good response to picking and rolling back the volume (can't comment on the tone pot since I don't have one on my Fishmanned Caparison). My Fryette goes from break-uppy cleans to full-on gain in the "active" voice, the dual voicing gives extra room for that of course.

Then again most people on the internet bitching about "sterile EMGs lacking dynamics" wouldn't know dynamics if they bit them in the ass...

17. knispler

knispler SS.org Regular

Maybe the new way of Fishman building pickups is one of the revolutions in guitar building. I mean, we are in 2017 and try to build everything like in 1954 with only minor changes?

Have not played them, so I can not say anything about their quality...

18. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of skepticism I see here that does NOT seem to be based on personal experience. It's one thing if you tried them out and didn't like them, sure. But another to doubt the success and attribute it to other 'hidden' factors without even trying them.

Assuming there's $$$ involved, how did this strategy work for other companies in the past? Probably not very well. And EMG can put 81s in as many guitars as they want, I always change that on arrival, sometimes to other EMGs :D, it doesn't matter but you get the point. Another thing is, money is not exclusive to Fishman, if Fishman can offer $x I'm sure other companies can offer double the amount, so I think we cannot attribute the recent success to that.

My understanding of the new Fluence line, is that we are finally witnessing what many people here have been asking EMG to do for ages, which is to allow for multiple response curves in their active preamps. Hopefully that brings us closer to a completely programmable pickup. Watching Tosin talking about how his sig was being tweaked right before his eyes confirms it.

Before you ask, yes, I own 2 Alnico modern 7s, they not just sound awesome in both voicings, but their single coil sound is great as well.

19. Hywel

Hywel SS.org Regular

I love the Fluence Modern set in my 26" scale 6 string. They are genuinely decent, versatile pickups. The coil splits, voicings, HF tilt and gain reduction controls make them massively flexible and they don't sound like an "active" pickup unless you want them to.

20. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

I just got BKP's. Now you're telling me I need to get on the Fishman Train. Damn.