Who's YOUR favorite builder/brand/manufacturer???

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Lionsden, Feb 6, 2017.

1. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

1) ESP japan.. because their QC is very good and I like the looks and specs
    2) Wanting to try out Mayones but their 'no inlay' design philosophy is really killing it for me. For 2000++ euros I expect basic things like inlays to be a free option when ordering...
    3) Wanting to try Aristides because I actually live in the same city :)

2. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time... Contributor

1. PRS
    2. Daemoness (love mine), back on the waitlist again.
    3. Excited to try Aristides, build will start in a few months

3. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

J custom neck with velvetouch and SS frets is unbeatable. Best feel and finish out there.

Edge variant trems are also unbeatable.

Bodies and pickups are all the same stuff regardless of who makes it.

4. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Aristides. The concept was intriguing as there was something interesting as to how they presented the research goals for the composite they use, and I got my hands on the 070 prototype #2. They have been getting even better and my 080S is mind bogglingly amazing.

Do note that this has vast amounts of personal preference thrown in, as fortunately there are some great companies and luthiers out there making absolutely top notch stuff.

Due to the insane attention to detail and the form factor, right now Teuffel is really high up the list.

5. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

Best Guitar Played: G&L Legacy - It belonged to a well-known guitarist amongst certain circles so it was older and setup to perfection. I did not know guitars could be that easy to play.

Guitar I Would Like To Play: A Zachary 7 string out of sheer curiosity.

6. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

A) GKG Turbulence 7. Fantastic ergonomics, fret access and great neck shape.

B) Strandberg - I'd like to try but hard to find one to try in the neighbourhood...

7. amonb

amonb Les Paul Fever Contributor

I really dig the Edwards brand (a sub-brand of ESP, like LTD) as they sell reliable, affordably-priced Gibson clones, and I am in love with Les Pauls. I may be wrong, but my understanding is they are manufactured/assembled in China and are then sent to Japan for checking and release. The only thing I don't like about 'em is the finishes, which are extraordinarily thick. I would adore MIJ Fenders as well but have found on the ones I have played that their necks have amazingly thick poly coatings, like they've been dipped in glass, and feel awful.

So yeah, Edwards.

8. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

After playing a Regius for one year now, I like the no inlay design, but miss an inlay at the 12th fret. Other than that I love the small thumbnail inlay of my Gretsches and the inlay concept of my Schecter Hybrid. But I hate the monstrous block inlays of my Les Paul. But what I hate most are those standard dots in the middle.

But I think small inlays shouldn't cost much ... maybe ask them by mail.

9. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

A) Ibanez, because their quality has always been consistent, they have a wide variety of designs, and a lot of guitarists I listen to play/have played their guitars. I actually think my Premium RG is better than my MIJ Jackson.

B) I would love to try out a custom shop Fender or a Strandberg.

10. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Currently it's a tie between EBMM and PRS. Something about the JP's is just right to me and as far as PRS goes they're just wonderful instruments. My McCarty and CE are absolute workhorses and my SC245 I'll never get rid of. Can't wait to get my new Singlecut.

2nd place has to be a tie between ESP and Ibanez as well. Every ESP I've owned has been fantastic (4 Eclipses and 2 Horizons + a handful of LTD's). And as you guys know Ibanez Prestiges have a very large place in my heart haha

11. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Production wise? Ibanez, its not even a question. I conect with them in some way that is just right.

Boutique i'd have to go with Paul Reed Smith or high end Ernie Ball. Ive never picked one up that didn't kill.

I'd still pick a Japanese Ibanez over anything though. Especially if it's a Saber.

Edit: to stick to the original post.

A) Ibanez

B)Keisel, Strandberg, Caparison

12. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

That reminds me, that if it comes to non-Metal guitars, I forgot to mention Gretsch.

Their Japan made Proline models are also of superb quality and are the guitars with the sweetest clean tones I can think of.

But even the G542x and G562x midrange hollow body models got drastically improved in the new generation, which is made in Korea. The G5622 is also pretty much usable for high gain stuff, but come stock with low output pickups.