Whos using Zoom Pedal Here?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by GuitarSetup, Dec 4, 2019.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Agree.

I have a G1On now. Plays nice! Dirts can chug! However... not convincing because of its digital sounding, but good enough. I have no complaint with the amount I bought it for. It's a worthy backup.

2. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Precisely!

3. Rex

Rex SS.org Regular

But the sound supposedly is the same as the G3 - G5, same DSP but with some limitations and plastic construction if I'm not mistaken.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Los Angeles / Nashville / Syracuse / Belfast
    I think I'm going to pick up the G1X Four. If it doesn't work out, I can return it to Amazon and hunt down something better, but I'm only playing for myself, so pristine studio-quality tones aren't necessary.

5. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

My biggest gripe with the newest gen of Zoom pedals vs Gen 3 is the lack of amp sims. Most amp modelers these days have several dozen different amps to choose from whereas with the Zoom, there are only 13. With other processors like the Boss GT-1 or Mooer GE150/200, they have a much broader selection, so the odds of finding a few good ones are a lot better.

6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I have a G5n. Sounds pretty decent for the money, no real complaints.

GuitarSetup likes this.
  7. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

I use my Zoom G5 all the time, for home practice, as monitor during recording (so I don't have to deal with VST latency however small I can get it), and even still use it to record parts that I know I won't want to re-amp / tweak settings. I also take it for jams, just run my hi-gain presets through the clean channel of whatever is available and it works pretty ok.

8. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi The Mario Clash

I have the G1x four and I like it. I prefer playing with amps but with my circumstances I needed something for headphone playing that sounded better and was more uptodate than the digitech rp80 I had.

I like the amps it comes with and the cabs. Yes it can sound digital sometimes, but that badly. You can’t put too many things in a single patch though however. The software on computer is good because of how you can sort effects and patches, save them, add and remove newer ones. Etc.

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  9. TheEmptyCell

Found one on eBay and had a coupon code as well, so for $80ish I couldn’t pass up the G1x Four. I’ll probably be throwing a TC Electronic Mimiq after it for quick and easy double tracking demos.

10. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Zoom B3. I don't use it much but it is cool to experiment or mess around with

Spinedriver likes this.
  11. GuitarSetup

GuitarSetup SS.org Regular

Zoom havent updated their last dont know why but overall im still contented

12. Spinedriver

It does have a decent number of eq effects that work very well with guitar.

13. TheEmptyCell

I've had a few days with the G1x Four and I'm not really into the high gain tones. They're fizzy and a bit artificial sounding, but I'll keep using it until I can find something I like better.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Zoom has pretty damn effects and seems to have put alot of effort into their bass modeling.
    Guitar? Eeeeeh. You can tell it's a modeler. Both Zoom and Boss (sans the Katana) have dated-sounding amp modeling.

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  15. TheEmptyCell

I'm definitely noticing that. The MS70CDR and other MS series were/are amazing for the plethora of synthy sounds, delays, reverbs, and modulations, but the dirty/high gain stuff still basically sucks. Going back to the drawing board. Maybe I just need a good amp like drive pedal and something else for my time/modulation based effect needs.

16. Spinedriver

It's older/low end processors like the Zooms and Boss GT-1/GT-10 that ir loader pedals can breathe new life into. I've never had the chance to try an ir pedal with a Zoom processor myself but I did have a GT-1 for a while and the Mooer Radar helped quite a bit. Granted, the ir pedal will probably cost more than what you paid for the processor itself but I can say that it works wonders for the Pod X3 that I have.

17. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

After owning a few Boss dist modelers, I can say they all have that same voicing I don't like. The ME50 back in the day, the GT8, OD20, GA amps,.. all thesame voicing. The Katana should be better from what I read but I have not heard one in person.
    That whole IR thing something I haven't tried.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It's an improvement for sure. Sounds better than the Cube or previous Boss modelers. It sounded like Boss was using the same modeling tech they made in the late 90s all the way up to the GT100.

19. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I got the same idea tbh. Line6 is another example. They also had their own voicing that I didn't like, up until the Pod Pro X I presume. Both brands needed and got a good update. At this point, I feel the digital modelers sound as great as the mid tier amps. (If you leave the expensive tube amps out of the equision)
    Also try and find an all analogue amp under 500€ these days. Nearly all has some form of DSP in it.

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I didn't mind the high gain sounds on my G1on, but definitely found them super noisy, and without a lot of dynamics. I thought they sounded pretty good considering what all you got for $50 though. Good thing to mess around with headphones to jam. If I wanted to record with it, I would probably disable the cabs and use an IR loader in the DAW. That would probably help a lot.

Spinedriver likes this.