Who's the cleanest electric guitar player you've heard

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by sojourner, Aug 21, 2014.

1. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Joe Motherf..... Pass!

2. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Chris Letchford is pretty ridiculously clean. StS is one of the only bands I've seen that consistently sounds better live than studio. The only time they haven't is when they've had less great mix engineers than usual. A big part of that is how clean they all play. Travis is clean too, but takes less leads so it's harder to tout him in this thread. Honestly a lot of the stuff Chris plays since the Migration is a little too "shreddy" or mechanical for me, but pulling it off so cleanly at the shows is pretty badass! But think about it... riffs, tapping, soloing, melodic vs.fast, etc... a lot of diversity and he pulls it all off, very consistently.

Just don't show him this post... he already knows and doesn't need to be even more confident :lol:

3. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Fredrik Akkeson... I have a feeling he holds back some. Very good live player as well. I just love that guy's bends.

And Brandon Ellis... anybody who knows that name knows what's up. I shudder to think of what he's going to put out given the chance.

4. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Seriously WTF

I think he's 21 or barely 22. The guy learns sets for tours he gets asked to join at the last minute like it's nothing.

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Finally... I was beginning to wonder where all the JB love was at! There's a bunch of live vids of him and Marty playing through practice amps with very little distortion and he is playing some amazing stuff and quite clean. Most people sound clean with distortion and effects, but as soon as you remove the effects they sound like shit.

Unfortunately, I've heard/seen a lot of sloppy Marty vids on youtube, albeit he is an amazing guitarist (Megadeth - RIP is still one of my fav metal albums of all time). Maybe it's because he doesn't palm mute ever with his right hand?

I'm glad that some people mentioned David Gilmour, too! :)

Also, you youngins need to recognize... :bowdown:

6. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Bingo. Remember watching his instructional videos and not understanding how anyone could be that articulate and precise with that small amount of gain.

7. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

Frank Gambale. That man is so clean when he plays. His sweeping is so smooth. Eric Johnson plays super clean also.

8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

When I was first starting out Chris Impelitteri blew my mind, so kudos for reminding me of him, his playing is even more clean than I remembered.

9. heregoesnothing

heregoesnothing SS.org nub

Guthrie Govan and Frank Gambale.

And in the modern metal/shred realm:

actual solo starts at 0:32

10. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

Hizaki

You would think he would mess up one of his bends just once but nope...always perfect. And when he sweeps you are like, "Here we go, he is human" and then he goes and plays them with "first take in the studio" level perfection. Ugg

11. Randy D

Randy D SS.org Regular

I would have to say JP. Petrucci is so damn amazing and his technique equally awe inspiring.

:shred:

Cheers

-Randy D

12. sunung1188

sunung1188 SS.org Regular

John Frusciante!!!

13. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Paul Gilbert
    Wes Hauch
    Guthrie Govan
    Allan Holdsworth
    Paul Waggoner
    John Petrucci

14. Defi

Defi SS.org Regular

Not my usual cup of tea, but I find watching guthrie play very entertaining. There might be better technical guitarists out there, but shit, they sure don't need to be.

15. ihave27frets

ihave27frets SS.org Regular

I hope you don't mean clean as in personal hygiene! My hair is basically a junkyard. :wavey:

16. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

Some great mentions all over this thread already, but just to add a little to the mix:

Joscho Stephan

Tears are shed at how horrific his right hand is :bowdown:

Matt Palmer

This etude is a son of a bitch, and he plays it like a champion.

Alex Hutchings

Just wonderful playing, and insanely good phrasing!

Daniele Gottardo

I honestly just sat laughing at my screen the first time I saw this...

There are probably lots more I'm not thinking of right now, and I know it says electric and a bunch of these aren't but meh.

Also another mention deserves to go Brett Garsed:

Literally all of the solo in that is improvised, and he's playing changes like a boss, super clean, melodically and at speeds that most can only ever dream of. He is such a boss, words cannot do it justice, I have been studying his playing intensely for the last 2 months as I'm trying to become a hybrid picker and the more I learn the more I realise how monumental a player he truly is, one of the few in this world I would put in that untouchable category with Shawn Lane.

This is only recorded, but again improvised and just draw dropping, man plays a near infinite amount of notes and just never looses it, Garsed first then Lane, the whole album is just hilariously good.

17. starslight

starslight Gimme that wheat!

18. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Richie Allan from Heavy Metal Ninjas doesn't get nearly enough cred in my opinion. Every note, bend, vibrato and dive bomb is absolutely on point. Fun stuff starts at around 03:00.

19. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man

This dude is my homie, and yes, people should go listen to him play (with Arsis, but I think he fills in for a number of other groups too). You don't really need to be any better than he is :lol: To put it into context, Ryan Knight and the dude that replaced Chris Amott in Arch Enemy were once the 2nd guitar in Arsis, and when I spoke to James (frontman/guitarist) when they played in Pittsburgh a while ago, he said Brandon was the best guitarist he's had so far.

These are obvious answers, but Vai and Petrucci aren't being named often enough in this thread. I know everybody knows them, but they are absolute gods of guitar, even if a Dream Theater has been stagnant since 'Six Degrees..'

20. Jlang

Jlang I am Megatron

Al dimeola