Who's Been Drinkin'?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Chris, Nov 9, 2006.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

Harpoon dragonweisse is pretty good. Not overly sour or sweet. Pretty balanced.
    Allagash Witbier. A decent witbier. Drier and less ester heavy than most witbiers I've tried.

Captain Shoggoth likes this.
  2. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Got 6 (small) bottles of sake from someone I know FOR FREE last weekend so I got that going for me.

BMFan30 likes this.
  3. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

First time I tried it in a restaurant, because I'm no uncultured swine so I tried it hot.
    I honestly just wished I tried it cold though.

Kaura likes this.
  4. Kaura

Hah, funnily enough I've never tried it hot even though I once put some into some hot green tea (tasted terrible, lol).

For me, today was the first time trying "sparkling" sake. That was surprisingly sweet, both figuratively and literally speaking. Felt more like a sake based pre-mix than actual sake.

BMFan30 likes this.
  5. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

That actually sounds kind of good. I didn't know they had sparkling sake. I think I would have actually enjoyed it cold. Hot sake was just too much of a culture shock for one local night out.

6. Kaura

Yeah, to be honest sake is not really the most delicious drink in the world but I have a weird fascination for alcoholic drinks that taste what most people would call "bad" and I can only imagine that drinking sake hot would make it pretty unbearable. Although, from what I understand is that people in Japan actually heat up cheap sake to make it taste better. It's the good shit that you want to drink chilled.

Speaking of which, after drinking that sparkling sake the normal ones just don't go down so I'm taking a quick run to a nearby 24/7 gas station to get some lemonade and see if that fixes the problem. :lol:

BMFan30 likes this.
  7. Kaura

Now that's better. Bought some Sprite. Pretty close to what sparkling sake tastes like although I think peach Sprite and sparkling water could get closer.

BMFan30 likes this.
  8. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

I know what you mean about liking the taste of mostly bitter things people don't usually like. I'm the same. If they sold Gherkhin juice like they do OJ then I would buy it all the time and drink it like water.

I can't imagine that hot sake taste could have been improved that day lol
    Thanks for reminding me about sake. I actually want to give that another shot because I gave up since then.

Kaura likes this.
  9. Kaura

I was planning to drive around tomorrow but decided the hit the bar up the street so after a white russian and a G&T that plan went straight out the window.

Leviathus likes this.
  10. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Haven't been this drunk in a while! Went on a boat cruise with a couple of friends yesterday, drank my first beer before I even left home. We were in the harbour ~ 3 hours before the ship departed, because everyone had to do a covid test, so we figured we'd better play it safe. After the test, we drank more beer in the harbour until it was time to board the boat. At around 11pm I started having a hard time downing any more beer, but my friends bought a few rounds of shots and those went down just fine. Then I took a little break before drinking more beer. Then after the bands had played I slept for a few hours before drinking more beer, basically until I got home. It was great!

Hollowway likes this.
  11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I kept thinking the next sentence was going to be, "then I threw up," but it wasn't! :lol: Sounds like a good time, though!

12. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Haha... Yeah, I guess I know myself well enough these days that I know when to take a break. And yeah, it was awesome.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

Found a really nice local witbier from Boom Island brewing. Wish I'd found it earlier in the year because it's such a good crushable beer. Kind of has that neat banana/fruit trace that certain hefeweizens can get from the yeast

14. Kaura

Put this nasty 3-week open half bottle of sake into a Monster Energy Drink. Not my proudest drink but it does the job. :lol:

15. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

I think that cocktail is called "self-respect."

Kaura likes this.
  16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Holy crap, to this day I still almost throw up just reading the word "sake" :lol: The associated story is quite legendary though, so here you go:

In 2011 me and a group of friends went to Tokyo. One night we went into one of these karaoke booth things that you'd hire for 3 hours, and then you'd use the intercom to order drinks, which were all included in the price.
    The catch was that you had to finish the previous drinks before ordering new ones... So we drank "kaksinkäsin pohjanmaan kautta" as we say in Finnish, but then at some point the intercom system started to drag behind and we ended up waiting long times (probably like 2 minutes) between drinks... So we started ordering the next drinks when we were halfway into the previous ones, and that worked pretty well for beer and cocktails etc.
    Then some genius decides to order a round of sake, and turns out it wasn't glasses of sake but these half litre ceramic bottles. One for each drinker. It was pretty bad sake, so we decide to try to drink up quickly and order some cocktails or something to flush the bad taste down. We see the waiter bringing the next drinks from across the hall, and we still have like 4 bottles of sake left on the table, and since I'm "the best drinker" of the group, the phrase "Pauli, nyt täytyy juoda" was invented (Pauli, now you have to drink). That's been a recurring joke since then.
    I drank all the sake in like 2 minutes and then ran off to the toilet. I didn't throw up, but I spent a little while there getting my shit together again.

Then, after the karaoke time ended, we ate some convenience store fast food and headed to a strip club, were my friend (who was so drunk he could barely talk) negotiated "free entrance and 2 free drinks, then we'll come". Inside the strip club, I threw up in a champagne cooler - then the waiter brings me my second free drink and the party goes on :lol:

At some point we got out of there and figured we're done for the night. If we'd been somewhat sober, we would've walked to the hotel in 10 minutes, but since we could barely stand up, we decided to take a taxi, but since we were 5 guys, we didn't fit into one taxi. So me and my friend get into the second taxi, and we give the driver the business card of our hotel. But, we didn't know there were two hotels of the same chain, one in Asakusa and one in Akasaka, which are pretty much on opposite sides of the city (well, a bit of an exaggeration really, they're roughly 12km or 7.5 miles apart). We both passed out at various times during the trip, which took an eternity, and in the end we were outside the wrong hotel. I don't think we ended up paying anything for the ride because the driver was as confused as us. Then it was already early morning and we ended up taking the subway to the hotel, in the middle of rush hour with all the locals going to work.

So that's my experience with sake :drew:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Dumple Stilzkin and Kaura like this.
  17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

New Belgium Domingo Mimoss Sour. Suuuuper crushable citrus forward beer. Very well balanced and does a great job of mimicking a mimosa considering it's a beer. It's so goood

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

Fun fact: mint juleps were considered a breakfast drink back in the day.
    I made some mint julep and moscow mule syrup earlier today, and I've been "testing" them all day. I should have bought cheaper booze lol

Leviathus likes this.
  19. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

Schofferhofer does a 2.5% grapefruit witbier which works great for late breakfast/lunchtime on account of the lower ABV, I recommend

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

yeah i like it. the stiegl radlera are also excellent for that situation.