Who's Been Drinkin'?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Chris, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Kaura

Kaura metalist

True. To clear it, when I said sipping I meant taking swigs straight out of the bottle. :lol:

2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

The sipping-comment was more of a reply to @LiveOVErdrive, but yeah, no harm done :lol: What a nice topic to think about while working by the way :lol:

Kaura likes this.
  3. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

Back when my drinking was bad I tried red bull and vodka. I liked it, but when you can drink like that, by the time you're drunk I'm pretty sure that's what meth feels like.

4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep... I used to drink a lot of it back in the day, but I have a super high tolerance for caffeine so that helped, I guess. These days I'll just drink one between beers if I'm starting to feel tired. Over here we don't generally use Red Bull because it's expensive, but the cheaper alternatives taste (and do :lol: ) roughly the same.

5. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

Ah yes... in my circle we did “Jägerbombs,” which is a similar concoction: drop a shot of Jägermeister into a glass of Red Bull and pound it. Tasted godawful.

Back then there was a guava flavored Rockstar energy drink that was 40% juice. I attempted to elevate the alcohol-caffeine combo of the Jägerbomb by mixing Patron with the guava Rockstar. It was actually delicious. I’d be walking around sipping these margarita-like concoctions while other people at the party had 4lokos.

But then, the meth-like effects of not being able to fall asleep after being up for almost 24 hours... I actually felt great the whole time, but it probably wasn’t good for my nervous system. :lol:

Nowadays if I wanted to get really wild I’d follow a shot of espresso with a glass or two of wine and probably feel like garbage for the next two days from staying up too late.

6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

My sister used to drink a lot of those... I don't like Jägermeister myself so I just don't :lol:

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Been watching Star Trek (the original series) with a couple of friends, a couple of episodes every two weeks, and we finally finished it. So now we decided to watch the first ST movie, and decided that it's such a slow movie that it requires booze. So we made mojitos throughout the movie :lol: Ended up spending almost two full bottles of rum... Went to sleep at 4am, and 7.30 the alarm rang to take my daughter to swimming school. Here I am and still somewhat alive. Very tired though :lol:

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  8. Kaura

Kaura metalist

Was browsing the selection of the national alcoholic beverage retailing monopoly on the internet last night and noticed they had some Polish mead on sale. Went to grab a bottle today and damn. The first impression was kinda lame but more I'm sipping it the more I'm liking it. Now, I've tried mead or honey wine before once but I didn't like that certain brand.

This on the other hand gets pretty close to what I always imagined mead tasting like when I was playing Skyrim back in the day. Kinda tastes like mild red wine with a lot of spices and a somewhat strong but not overpowering taste of honey.

Actually, I was thinking this had a very familar taste to it and I realised that this tastes very close to portwine (which I love).

p0ke likes this.
  9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Actually when someone mentions mead, my mind thinks sahti. Which is sort of like beer but ... I just don't like it :lol: It's a bit of a trend thing at the moment that small breweries make that, and I haven't liked a single one I've tried. On the other hand, I tried some authentic homebrew sahti straight out of a barrel 10+ years ago, and that was really good.

10. Kaura

Kaura metalist

Yeah, I'm not a fan of sahti. I remember it just tasting like overripe banana. But mead is far from it. Kinda weird that mead is usually categorized as beer even though it's definitely more like wine. And funnily enough, there's this thing called "barley wine" that actually tastes like beer despite the name. Go figure...

11. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

In the UK and US, barley wine is just beer, specifically a type of strong ale. The word “wine” was put in the name just to signal the high alcohol content. I’ve had a few that clocked in between 12-14% alcohol.

I’m pretty interested by this mead/sahti/sima discussion. I’ve had a few locally made meads and most of them were close to wine strength but were very smooth and drank kind of like a blond ale. I’ve had a couple that included fruit and were OK, but I preferred the stuff made only from honey. Never heard of sahti or sima before this thread.

Now off to Wikipedia to do some research...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  12. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Pretty traditional Finnish things. Sima doesn't actually count as an alcoholic beverage as it usually has something like 0.5% alcohol if even that. Sahti on the other hand is a bit difficult to explain - it's basically strong, unfiltered beer, I guess. The homemade one I tried was sort of orange in color and really thick, where as the brewery-made ones I've tried were more like regular beer with a chunk of mud in it :lol:

13. Kaura

Kaura metalist

Was waiting for a short work day but ended up working 10 hours. Oh well, time to get fucking annihilated with some Captain Morgan, beer and cider. :metal:

p0ke likes this.