Who's Been Drinkin'?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Chris, Nov 9, 2006.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I'm planning my next brew - me and my friend already decided we'll be making some kind of stout, as that's a nice winter drink. I've got a juniper in the yard that I cut down in the summer, and I'm thinking about using that in the brew somehow. Not quite sure how though :lol: Apparently the berries are usually used, but I've only got the actual tree and some branches. Should I chop it into really small pieces and roast it or try smoking some of the hops with those? I tried googling but didn't find any answers :(

2. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Stocked up last week. There's 312 x 440ml cans in the below pic. Had another 15 in the freezer for tonight and got them out in the nick of time as ice was starting to form inside.

[​IMG]

Leviathus likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

indeed brewing (some local shit beer) tastes like ass, but hooo damn does it get me nice and buzzed. it's like 8%alcohol

4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

According to my research, I don't see any coming whiskey shortage, but I cannot go back in time last night to advise myself of that. Two shows in two nights with football today- my liver is going to literally going to burst out of my abdomen just to slap me.

5. KnightBrolaire

West Coast style IPAs are the worst thing to ever happen to beer. The majority that I've tried over the years have been overly hopped, overly bitter and taste like shit. I'm generally pretty open minded when it comes to beer, but I've yet to find a west coast IPA that's remotely drinkable. If I wanted to get smashed on shitty tasting beer I'd buy some natty ice or steel reserve.
    I'm getting fat so I need to switch back to vodka.

6. KnightBrolaire

highballs are disgusting. whoever thought of combining mint with bourbon should be shot.

sezna likes this.
  7. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

Haha, I thought I was in Unpopular Opinions for a second. I agree. In fact I think a lot of the big West Coast breweries (Stone in particular) are in a "hoppiness" pissing contest, and a lot of people drink their beers because they're "in."

Lately I've been all about Bavarian dunkelweizens. They're sweet, malty and roasty--basically the opposite of a West Coast IPA. Ayinger's Celebrator is probably my favorite but the Korbinian from Weihenstephaner is also excellent. Of course, these are not at all conducive to weight loss.

8. KnightBrolaire

sierra nevada and lagunitas are prob the biggest west coast offenders in my book. here in MN we have summit and surly doing basically the same thing (over hop basically every beer they make, even when the flavor profile doesn't call for it). Summit came out with an abomination that they called a czech style pilsner, but it was hopped like a west coast IPA. It was disgusting.

9. KnightBrolaire

vodka sodas are good.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  10. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I might have drank a bottle of red wine and a sixpack of dry apple cider. Might even had something a bit more dry to consume. It was an accident, I swear.

Currently drinking some vodka and listening to music... Currently playing: KYPCK - Imya Na Stene

11. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

Ive been partial to adult grape juice recently, not exactly fancy but I put 1/3 vodka to 2/3 concord grape juice on the rocks recently. I like getting buzzed but absolutely hate the taste of alcohol so it works out pretty well.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  12. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Well im at Catskill brewery right now so

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Had a sauna night with some friends yesterday and drank roughly half a bottle of Jameson and some beer. Today: absolute killer hangover + flu and some fever :lol:

Jarmake and Leviathus like this.
  14. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Hangover + flu = the worst feeling.

15. KnightBrolaire

crystal skull vodka:cool name and bottle, mediocre overpriced vodka.

16. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Doesn't really surprise me... Canada doesn't really shout 'great vodka' to me :)

17. KnightBrolaire

I've been consistently disappointed by high shelf vodka. there's no huge appreciable difference like there is with irish whiskey/scotch when you jump up in price. I'm going back to svedka/smirnoff, it's cheap and does the job just fine :p

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You mean the vodka owned by actor Dan Aykroyd and his artist buddy that's filtered through "magic quartz rocks" at an industrial distillery isn't the best ever? :lol:

The commercial for this stuff felt like a fake commercial you'd see in a Peter Segal film. So, it's pretty great.

Vodka is one of those spirits you can buy cheap, but not too cheap. Really, anything in a glass bottle will do. When you go more expensive you run into goofy stuff like "diamond filtration" and "triple extra filtration" and all kinds of BS. I run Primary and Final filtration systems for a living, and it's all marketing junk.

The biggest factor with large batch production vodka is the mix-down water. They distill to 95%+ and blend with water to hit the proof on the bottle. Go with a vodka made someplace with good tap water, because that's typically what they use to blend. Some make their own water, but that's usually the more expensive stuff.

Personally, I think Tito's is probably the best of the reasonably priced stuff.

19. KnightBrolaire

I'm not going to lie, I bought it just because I wanted the skull bottle :lol:
    titos is good. pinnacle is solid for the price too. It really doesn't matter to me since I pretty much always mix my vodka (only masochists drink it straight regularly). I've tried basically all the 30$ and under vodka I can get my hands on over the years, and so long as it's not white wolf or karkov, I'm a happy man.

20. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I find that basic, off the shelf russian standard or smirnoff is good enough if you want to get drunk... There's some stuff that I wouldn't give to my worst enemy. Like skyy-vodka. Ew.