Whole octave lower what guage?!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Soubi7string, Jul 6, 2010.

1. MTech

MTech Banned

You could always get like Yves Carbonne, he's using a LaBella Super Step that's over 200 gauge. :yesway: They have one at the factory and not only is it heavy, but I'm quite sure you could beat somebody with it in a self-defense situation :lol:

[​IMG]

2. Haunted

Haunted Dedicated Headbanger

I guess, I used the numbers from guitar pro
    I meant anyway, an octave below an 8 string guitar's low F (a fourth below a standard bass low B flat)
    the guitar pro indicates that there is a lower F (F0) than what I'm going to tune to
    I'm confused...:scratch:

3. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

Yeah Guitar Pro has the octave numbers off by one which is likely a notation & transposition issue.

When you write the standard-tuned low E string in bass clef (E on the first ledger line below the staff) that's E2, but when you play that note on a bass E1 comes out - because bass transposes down 1 octave.

So when you're talking about the actual notes you're hearing, E1 is your standard low E string but E2 is the notation for that note for bass players - where it is always assumed that the sounding note will be one octave lower.

Does that help?

4. Haunted

loud and clear! thanks Durero!

anyway, I need to them gauges as I will be ordering from circle K next week
    and I'm pretty exited about this

sorry to hijack the thread, but I stay on topic

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building

Ppl just can't go low enough, can they? :lol:

6. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Hahaha, I wanted the low C# below F#0 before i decided I'd never use it.

7. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building

damn...

8. josh pelican

josh pelican Banned

Here's a question for the original poster, what bass are you using? What type of bridge? Depending on the type of bridge you have, you might not have to do any modification (aside from filing the nut a little).

What sort of tension do you like? Do you like loose strings? or do you want the strings to be tight. If you like them loose, you could aim for .182 (but I would go for something a little thicker). If you want them tight like your regular EADG, I'd go for a .195 or .200.

I've never personally used Circle K strings, but have heard good things and talked to the dude (knuckle_head) a few times when I was getting my six string set up for F#. I highly recommend ordering from there because their service does not seem to disappoint. You will end up with the correct strings because he will certainly let you know if it will be too floppy or not.

Matt (of MORS) did this with his Epiphone Thunderbird. He opted for the .182 E because he likes looser strings. His didn't sound too bad, mind you he has a more powerful rig than the majority of this board. He is running 600 tube watts into five or six cabinets. This was his setup at one point:
    [​IMG]

I know his rig is a bit different know, but I recall him saying something about not needing fancy amplification or 2,000 watt amps, you just need the right strings. Sure, his rig is powerful as fuck, but think about how old his stuff is. I don't think ANY of it is even in production. You don't need to go out and buy the biggest, baddest amp (although, I'm not going to stop you or myself from doing so).

I will hunt down a video and pictures. I know there's a four page thread on TalkBass. It will give you a rough idea of what it sounds like (through a video camera).

EDIT: Also, the Circle K strings are fairly tapered at the end. I forget the exact size, but I know it's more than 1.5". I will find that, too, if no one beats me to it.

9. josh pelican

josh pelican Banned

Okay, the video didn't take me long:

... and pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. knuckle_head

knuckle_head SS.org Regular

At F the .200 will have good tension and detuning the Bb to G# is a reasonable switch - still leaves a 9 pound difference between the two, but compromise must be addressed.

Look at the .200 balanced set. This might be tight on a 35" scale - drop down to .190 if that's where you are.

11. Soubi7string

Soubi7string WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

I'm still trying tofind out about this whole amp ordeal
    will a regular bass amp just die if I trythis or what?

12. josh pelican

josh pelican Banned

I apologize for not seeing this a while back, but what amp are you using? A "regular bass amp" doesn't quite narrow it down for people like me. To me, a regular bass amp is a full stack. ;)

13. Soubi7string

Well im picking up a sunn 2x15 and I'm still deciding on whether to get the peavey 450 tour amphead or the line 6 hd400 series
    That's "normal" to me lol

14. knuckle_head

A regular rig will handle it fine

15. josh pelican

josh pelican Banned

That should work fine. On most forums, people will definitely argue with you saying there's no way in hell it would work. If you want more, I won't stop you (as mentioned previously).

16. Soubi7string

scratch that Sunn 2x15
    I'm gonna get an 8x10 rig with a peavey 700 tour series.Think that'll handle it?

17. Haunted

OH it works....I just got my bass professionally set up to F with circle k's .190 set
    really dig the strings, super flexible, I'll shoot some pics for ya when I have the time

18. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

To the genius neg repping me about low octaves. I gave advice about a situation, there was no sarcasm, i even said "good luck" as you are gonna have a lot of work to do, to accommodate such low frequencies. If you dont agree with my opinion...fine..your call. But please dont be a baby about it k?

drmosh likes this.
  19. knuckle_head

No notion who negative repped you - and I've gotten the same thing from some so I feel you on this - but I disagree with the characterization that it will be 'inarticulate fart town'

Good strings at appropriate tension will provide quite good note definition. With frequencies this low the player ought to forsake speed as it makes these notes more impactful, but that is purely my opinion.

Any bass that has a shift in string gauging is faced with nut, neck and bridge adjustment.

20. Crucified

Crucified Deathgrind Maniac

what are you trying to accomplish at this point? are you trying to keep up with a baritone guitarist? do you want the really low to rattle some skulls? a regular tuned bass at E is still lower than a baritone guitar at E a whole octave down.