Who likes light strings vs heavy?

alex1fly

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm new to the 7 string world after 21 years on 6 strings. The guitar I have came with 58-10s. Pretty floppy for the brutal riffage I want to unleash. But it seems like most commonly available sets are light like this (I'm in Boulder/Denver). Might need to venture online for strings. So I'm curious who prefers light, who prefers skinny top/heavy bottom, who prefers something heavier like 64-13s, and would love to hear some reasoning behind your preferences!

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Stringjoy is great for mixed/custom sets. Delivered right to you and not stupid priced. I usually play in just B standard so I’m a fan of the 10-60 range.

I may have no idea what the guys in low G and F’s are doing down there, but I like it.

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
10-59 Daddario works for me in Drop A. I've used that set on a 25" PRS SE7 and on my current 26.5" Schecter KM7 MkII. Not too tight on the E-E and the 59 is just enough tension for me in A to not feel overly floppy with my .73 gauge pick.

TrevorT

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use 9-52 in B standard, so pretty light! I don't tend to pick very hard, and in general I like the way lighter strings feel to play -- my vibrato sound much wider, and I can have a lot more fun with bends. I also think lighter strings on the bottom strings tend to sound better.

penguin_316

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I went through my phases but overall, the most moderate amount of tension across all strings. Not too heavy to be a burden or sound dull, but not too light to go out of tune while playing with a heavy hand.

Also, hard to give advice when you don't list the most important info. What is your guitars scale length and what is the tuning you are using?

I use the Stringjoy tension calculator (google it) pretty religiously for a few years now. It saves alot of time with guesswork.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Drop A with a 26.5 scale guitar here. I use a 9-46+64 set. I love it, but a few days ago I tuned this thing down a half step and im loving the lighter feel, so I might drop the 64 down to 60 when I return to Drop A

alex1fly

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I went through my phases but overall, the most moderate amount of tension across all strings. Not too heavy to be a burden or sound dull, but not too light to go out of tune while playing with a heavy hand.

Also, hard to give advice when you don't list the most important info. What is your guitars scale length and what is the tuning you are using?

I use the Stringjoy tension calculator (google it) pretty religiously for a few years now. It saves alot of time with guesswork.
The scale length is 25.5" and I'd like to play it in either B standard or Bb standard. Of course, definitely need to try some other strings and see what feels right. I have an 8 string and baritone set laying around, so it'll be fun to experiment a bit. Light strings are definitely more versatile overall... but for a guitar I want to chug around on like a little Hetfield it's nice to be able to beat on the low strings.

aWoodenShip

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm once again here to plug The String Source. Their optimized tension sets are for players who like light top heavy bottom and have a set selector based on your scale length, tuning, and desired tension.

mechanyx

Some Kind of Munster
Reaction score
I use the lightest gauge I can that isn't floppy. I try to avoid anything larger than a 60 and only have 1 guitar where I use anything larger than a 60.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I use .9s for both my 6 strings and 7 string guitars. I had to bulk buy the 0.9-0.54 sets online for my 7 strings since I can't find them in stores. Now that I think about it, I think I've only bought strings in a store only once in the past decade.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I usually go for a skinny top heavy bottom on my Les Paul (10.5-56 or 54), and I have some kinda equivalent-ish sets from my Strats and 7 (9.5-46 and 9.5-64).

My Les Paul is my go to guitar, so it goes from anywhere between B and E standard, and for me it's just the right size to not be too tight tuned up and not too loose tuned down, and I like some heavier string for riffing. The other 2 I haven't tried out, because I'm lazy and that would involve setting up guitars.

Thesius

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lightest I can get away with but still having tight tension. I gotta find me a nice baritone one of these days cause I can't quite tune that low at the moment with my current set up

penguin_316

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For a 25.5" B standard 7 I'd say a set of .09-.59 is hard to beat. If you want to go down to Drop A I'd beef up the low string to a .62.....for drop Bb I'd move up to a regular set of .10 gauge strings for a 7.

Dumple Stilzkin

Tom foolery is my middle name.
Reaction score
I probably fit into the light to medium camp. I like 9.5-44 for E, 10-46 for 1/2 step down, 11-48 for D, and 10-59’s on my 7 in B standard. But unlike some who like lighter strings I have action on the higher side. I can’t stand the way low action doesn’t sustain as well and the notes seem like they are choking.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I used to do skinny top heavy bottom, now I use custom sets, but basically the tension of .009s at 25.5”. I just bought a 10 pack of .008s, in fact, because I don’t like the tension of .009s at baritone scales. (I play everything in standard tuning.)

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Like @odibrom I use D'Addario 9s for E standard and 54 for a low B string. Whatever tuning I'm setting a guitar up in, I try to roughly match the string tensions of a 6-string guitar in E standrd with 9s.

While plenty of SS.org posters would use a much heavier gauge for a low B, claiming that 54 is too floppy / buzzy, 54 comes as stock on Ibanez 7-string RG models...