Who is your favorite band?

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I go through a different flavor of the week favorite band constantly, so picking an actual favorite is tough. That said, it might be Coheed & Cambria, specifically their first couple albums. I liked them for almost as long as I've actually cared about music, and there's never really a time when I'm not in the mood for Second Stage Turbine Blade or In Keeping Secrets, which is pretty rare for me.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Depends on my mood, but one of these five always wins:
Napalm Death
Behemoth
His Hero is Gone
Carcass
Dystopia

For legacy, I can't deny how much (pre-Black album) Metallica, early Anthrax, Faith No More and (early-mid) Ministry have shaped my musical world even though it's been pretty much all death metal, crust and grindcore for 20 something years. The other younger guitarist in my band is also quick to point out how funny he finds it that I'm imprinted with 80s hair metal. No shame there at all.

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
It's tough for me to decide on one band that I could all my favorite, but I guess if there's one that's kind of been huge for me for the better part of my life it's Smashing Pumpkins. Gish through Machina are all amazing and sound like great sounding pumpkins records, and while their new albums aren't nearly as good as the first era of sp, there are still enjoyable songs here and there and moments of greatness and sadness that defines pumpkins for me. I've never really tried to model myself as a musician or a songwriter after any band, but pumpkins especially have me doing things that subconciously I think Billy Corgan might do. I always aim to write incredibly sad songs that are still beautiful and have great melodies, because that's what gets me as a music listener, and I think when sp did it well, they were the best at exactly that.

I'm going to see them tonight! Last time I saw them was in '99 on the tour for Machina... too long in between!

Anyway, this post kind of evokes the quandry of the "favorite band" thing. There are the artists that are my favorites right now based on my current listening habits (Steven Wilson, Type O, Pink Floyd), but then there's the "Hall of Fame" level that, even if I'm not blasting their s**t every day, are totally internalized as far as influence and inspiration (Pumpkins, NIN, Sabbath, Nevermore).

Even if my interests end up all over the place, the Pumpkins were the band I loved when music was becoming a huge part of my life and when I was learning to play the guitar. They were never as "important" as Nirvana, as hip or complex as Sonic Youth, or as heavy as Soundgarden or AIC, but they were one of the most important bands of their era, IMHO.

Richie666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Steven Wilson and his projects. But sometimes it's The Dear Hunter, Oceansize, or Devin Townsend.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Right now I'm REALLY into Jakub Zytecki and Owane. Long lasting favorites will def always be Chon, The Contortionist, and Tigran Hamasyan tho.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
Favorite of all time: Coheed & Cambria.

Favorite metal band: Anaal Nathrakh.

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
Really hard for me to narrow it down to just one, I'd list Maiden, Slayer, old Metallica, Megadeth, Death, Deicide, Sabbath...if I had to say one I'll go with the Blizzard of Ozz band/early Ozzy. Randy has been such a huge influence since I was a kid and partly responsible for me getting into this music, those first two albums are still played daily at my house and I was really enjoying going through all of the bootlegs from 81 and 82 til a few weeks ago when Sharon had them all pulled off of youtube.

TheMasterplan

Creator//Destroyer
Reaction score
As far as metal goes, if I want straight anarchy, I go with Anaal Nathrakh. If I'm feeling more melodic, then it's Dark Tranquillity every time.

BaptizedBurning

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Overall longstanding favorite? Pantera
Although the Misfits and GNR each had their stretches as my favorite years ago.