Who is the new Opeth?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Captastic, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Captastic

Captastic SS.org Regular

Alright...I'm a bonafide Opeth-head. Love Blackwater Park, Still Life, Deliverance, and the other "growlie" goodness from that era. The new "clean vocals" direction is just not as interesting to me. The complex chord work is gone, the dynamics are gone, and the damn organ is overbearing. And honestly Lopez is the Opeth beat. Also the new (old) recording technique Mikael is fond of now is simply terrible. Oh how the mighty have fallen...

So who out there has is similarly interesting? I've listened to Porcupine Tree (yuck), and I don't get their draw at all. I was hopeful with Soen (boring), but nahhh.

Can ya'all recommend some heavy, interesting, clever music that is in the vain of Opeth?

Omzig, Musiscience and Jeries like this.
  2. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Try the band Wilderun and their album Veil of Imagination.

Bear in mind some other parts of the record, veer more toward epic folk or Devin Townsend.

Goatfork, Omzig, Pat and 1 other person like this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

White Stones maybe?

FILTHnFEAR, Omzig and Bdtunn like this.
  4. Enter Paradox

Enter Paradox SS.org Regular

perhaps these guys ?

Omzig, Captastic and davemeistro like this.
  5. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I'd also recommend White Stones as it's Martin Lopez death metal side project that also features Fredrick Akesson on the solos.

Ever heard of Descend? Got some serious Opeth vibes when I discovered them last year.

Captastic and Omzig like this.
  6. SexHaver420

SexHaver420 Oops I'm a girl.

Just listen to Edge of Sanity because they're better than Opeth anyway. If you like them check out Witherscape because Dan Swano is rad. Mikael Akerfeldt does some vocals on Crimson.

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Ne Obliviscaris have a lot of the elements I love in those early Opeth records:

8. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Enslaved has definitely gone in a progressive direction without losing their metal sensibilities. I compare them to Opeth in the sense that their songwriting is epic and unpredictable (the way Opeth used to be).

Another band worth checking out if you haven’t already is Blut Aus Nord. It started as a one man band and still basically is, but lately has had a consistent drummer as well. They are firmly on the black metal side of things but they push the boundaries of that genre in many interesting directions. Very beautiful clean passages and vocals meshed together with all out brutality. Some albums have an almost industrial sound while others leave you feeling as though you just spent the hour on a mountain top in the wilderness.

As a side note, I don’t care that Opeth isn’t doing harsh vocals anymore; it’s their songwriting that has become completely boring.

Damnation is all clean vocals, yet it is far more metal than any of their past four albums.

IAO, efiltsohg, sirbuh and 6 others like this.
  9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I don't hear any similiarity with Blut Aus Nord, I've never heard any of the other bands mentioned in this thread. I'll have to check them out later.

The only two recs I have from back in the day are Novembre and Dark Suns - Swanlike. Dark Suns definitely went more in their own direction after Swanlike, but that album sounds more than a little bit like Opeth.

Novembre was vying for my favorite band with Opeth and Pain of Salvation back circa 2004. They were compared a lot to Opeth cause they had a lot of shifting between loud/quiet parts and clean/screamed vocals, but they really were not similar in terms of guitar parts or vocal styles. It also helped that their first two albums were produced by Dan Swano. I think Novembrine Waltz is their masterpiece, and one of my favorite metal albums ever, but you probably won't get a lot of Opeth vibes from it. Still, they're definitely a band to check out if you liked Opeth. Novembrine Waltz, Dreams D'Azur, Classica, The Blue are the ones you want to listen to for the heavy stuff; Arte Novecento and especially Materia are really excellent but are primarily clean vocals. I haven't really listened to Ursa, and thus can't vouch for it.

This might be my favorite track from them. It also is the most Italian-sounding. It definitely has some "making the pizza" sounding sections.

Here's an older track from the Dreams D'Azur re-recording:

Novembre also had one of my favorite drummers in metal, the guy was an absolute monster, especially on Dreams D'Azur, Arte Novecento, and Novembrine Waltz. He dialed things back a few notches on the newer stuff. Be warned their clean vocals are pretty dodgy on their first albums.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Novembers Doom was another band that was comparable to Opeth at one point. The Knowing and especially To Welcome the Fade should scratch that Opeth itch. Avoid anything newer than those two. They lost their guitarist who was responsible for most of the intricate dual-guitar harmonies and became far less interesting. The first two albums are "doomier" - the second one in particular is still good, but The Knowing and To Welcome the Fade are far less like traditional Doom metal and much more like an Opeth sort of thing.

DOUBLE EDIT: Just remembered Agalloch - they themselves didn't like Opeth and resented the comparison, but Pale Folklore, The Mantle, and Ashes Against the Grain are great and were often compared to Opeth. Lots of long droney acoustic sections, a bit more of a wintery black-metal vibe than Opeth, but definitely a very good band with similar dynamic changes. The musicianship's a bit lacking though, especially on the first album, where the guitarist recorded the drums.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Omzig likes this.
  10. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I think this band is really solid Opeth alternative. It's kind of a side project of members from Moonsorrow, Amorphis, Kreator and Hamferd.

ElysianGuitars and Omzig like this.
  11. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Check out DVNE. They "approach" prog more from the sludge-metal side of the metal spectrum, sort of like Cult of Luna (who you should also listen to).

Omzig, OmegaSlayer and BlackMastodon like this.
  12. Jeries

Jeries Banned

Great topic and post. I am with you on that. Was there a change up besides Akerfeldt's choice to change the writing style, like band wise? I love Blackwater park, so yes, anything like "The drapery falls", meaning any bands that can pull off a song like that, I would love to hear recommendations. Even if its your own band!

Omzig likes this.
  13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Maybe I'm biased, 'cause I am a fan of stuff like Porcupine Tree, but if the production quality is what kills the newest Opeth stuff for some, it could be worth checking out the live versions - I find the production on Garden of the Titans to be better than the album versions of newer material. In the same way that, to me, the Roundhouse Tapes versions of some of their very old material sounds way better than their old janky recordings.

sirbuh, Omzig and Jeries like this.
  14. Jeries

Jeries Banned

I bought the live Blackwater Blu ray, and you’re right, they are the only band like tool - they are almost better live than on their albums and they can perfectly reproduce each song like DT. I gotta check Porcupine tree out

Omzig likes this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dunno about only haha. There's a lot of bands I think sound better live than recorded: Porcupine Tree sometimes is in that camp. Leprous. Devin Townsends most recent material. Opeth, as mentioned.

Omzig and Jeries like this.
  16. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I just stumbled today in Interloper and loved them
    First full length is yet to be released but I'm already amazed

Omzig likes this.
  17. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

I second Ne Obliviscaris. They're not really similar to Opeth in sound, but they're also progressive death metal with their own unique elements like Opeth.

Omzig, Lorcan Ward and BlackMastodon like this.
  18. Captastic

Captastic SS.org Regular

Thanks Bros....some solid recommendations on here. Gonna take some time to listen to them all!

Omzig likes this.
  19. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

20. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I have so much new music to check out. I love threads like this.

Omzig likes this.