Who is the closest we have to virtuo in the guitar world.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by jonajon91, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ENGLShred7

ENGLShred7 How Do I Djent?

From a technical standpoint, Emil Werstler. For me, he may be the best guitarist in the genre, and he's certainly one of the most underrated. He's also got one of those signature sounds, you know it's him when you hear his playing.

https://youtu.be/vFHxkxNTP7k

2. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Hmm Mattias Ia Eklundh Is maybe even better - because he is doing alot of original things with the guitar and I think he can play pretty much everything.

3. Chemical-Pony

Chemical-Pony SS.org Regular

He may not be the fastest or flashiest but that's not what he's about. I think he's one of the few rock intrumentalists who can actually write memorable music that non-guitarists enjoy. So hardly a 'studio musician'.

It's unfair to compare him technically to the younger guitarists around now. You need to look back to the 80s to see how influential he was.

4. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

That dude is f*cking ridiculous. I thought I knew about extended technique on guitar but seriously.... Incredible player :hbang:

5. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

As a source for theory building? What is that? To get background information on something quickly, there would be no reason not to. Also, I happen to use wikipedia ;)

6. guitarfan85

guitarfan85 Banned

Yes emil is the man. He's a culmination of all different influences. He's very melodic as well

7. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

You've said some really off the wall stuff on this forum before... but this has to be near the top of your list.

:scratch:

8. crik

crik SS.org Regular

9. crik

crik SS.org Regular

10. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Django Reinhardt? The dude basically created a whole new genre with two fingers on his left hand.

11. guitarfan85

guitarfan85 Banned

Not sure what your talking about. Anyways, yeah. Joes music doesn't do anything for me. I'm not bashing him, but I just don't see "it".

Sure he's got a lot of fancy tricks, including alot of whammy wankage, which is cool and all. (Not sure who takes the cake on whammy wankage, him or vai?) But I've never been moved by his music. Not to mention his tone is too digital and unnatural sounding.

How about this, I'll give you a chance to change my mind with one song. or even two. Embed a youtube video on here of a song that shows his virtuosity. (You cannot use flying in a blue dream, or any other popular song. Choose a lesser known, deep cut track please) If you will.

12. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

You called him a studio / session guitarist - in spite of the fact that he in the best selling rock instrumentalist of all time. He was the guitar instructor for Steve Vai, Andy Timmons, Kirk Hammett, Charlie Hunter, Alex Skolnick and many, many more top notch musicians. He is a virtuoso. You don't have to like his music, but there is no denying the influence that he has had on a generation of players - and generations to come.

Can he have crap tone? Sometimes. But who didn't have an over-processed tone at some point in the mid-80s? :lol:

13. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I feel like the issue with assigning a modern guitar virtuoso is that modern, guitar based music has diversified so much compared to the classical examples you mentioned. I'm by no means an expert in classical music, but while classical music has some of the most skilled composers and musicians in the world, it still seems to have a more defined set of rules that you can use to better compare musicians on their virtuosity.

With guitar right now, how do you compare a player like Guthrie to someone doing percussive acoustic stuff like Andy Mckee? You can't compare their techniques because they utilize such vastly different styles, and they both write great music that is loved by many.

If we use solely technique, there are countless amazing musicians who can play just about everything under the sun. If we instead use what was mentioned in the original post about music that is remembered throughout history, it will probably be none of the people in this thread, but the pop culture icons like Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen.

14. guitarfan85

guitarfan85 Banned

To answer your last question, yngwie and Gilmour still had pure tone. Note, none were super-strat players like joe, vai, macalpine, Gilbert who all had unnatural overprocessed tone.

I do understand Joe taught all those players, which yes it is amazing by itself.

I just want to like his music but have found none that moved me.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not to nitpick, but Dave Gilmour was using a San Dimas with a humbucker in the 80's, which would qualify as a super strat.

16. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

I love this thread, there are so many names of great musicians Ive never heard of... so much ne material to listen to ��

17. Buffnuggler

Buffnuggler SS.org Regular

I think Satriani, despite his impressive pedigree, often gets overshadowed by Vai. It might seem silly, but they are both two of the most prevalent instrumental guitarists and seem to get brought up together quite often. Satch is an awesome guitar player who has released some of the catchiest and most fun instrumental guitar music you'll find, but while he does have virtuoso technique it is simply not at the level of Vai or some of the other guys you'll find mentioned in the same breath. He's often held in that regard by magazines and fans, but I don't know, he just doesn't have the extreme technique or the off the wall artistry that a player like Vai has.

And I'm not even some sort of Vai superfan, I don't listen to him a ton, but I can't deny how utterly insane and inventive that guy is at the guitar. From being Zappa's stunt guitar to Passion and Warfare, one of the most insane guitar albums of all time, his playing is as jawdropping as it gets even if I don't listen to him a ton. I can't think of a more "virtuoso" player than Vai, who not only has perfect technique but also really pushed what the guitar can do.

Satriani is amazing and again, definitely a virtuoso, but when you consider him in the context of the players he is compared with his technique isn't quite as insane as Govan or Abasi for example, who he just did a GW cover with, and he just doesn't have that unmistakeable yet unnameable artistry you'll find in a guy like Vai. Even Vai's stuff still tries to push boundaries. Satch just boogies, rips it up, and creates really pleasing catchy and nice music, he's well rounded if nothing else but not someone who I think has pushed boundaries in a really long time, if at all.

And the fact that he is in Chickenfoot really drives that home IMO. Vai has released some questionable material like his stint with DLR, but let's be real, he was the guitar player and he made it work as well as anyone ever could've. And Ladies Night in Buffalo is about as perfect a solo as I can imagine. The DLR album is pretty damn bad but I'll still listen to it just for the ridiculousness of it and the guitar. Even Jason Becker, who is one of my favorite guitar players of all time, couldn't make it work with DLR quite like Vai did (although admittedly the disease was starting to affect him at the time and he still put out some wicked guitar playing on A Little Ain't Enough that adheres to a more traditional template than Vai moreso than actually being inferior).

And that's not a shot at Becker who I love even more than Vai, Perpetual Burn is as good as it gets and like Hendrix I can only dream of where his playing might've gone. Vai's playing on Eat Em and Smile rips though.

18. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

*cough* :lol:

19. guitarfan85

guitarfan85 Banned

No, thats nitpicking alright. Gibsons have humbuckers and sound completely different. They sound natural and "woodey" as compared to the "80's Ibanez super strats Which sound digital and over processed. Fender Strats with humbuckers sound more natural as well. To me and I'm sure most. I think of Ibanez/jackson/Hamer type guitars when I think of a superstrat.

20. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

Evh and malmsteen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.