who is the best guitar player on this forum?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by RG503, Aug 18, 2017.

1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

He looks like a muppet of Tim Heidecker.

Hollowway likes this.
  2. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

I'm pretty sure Christian Muenzner (Obscura/Alkaloid/ex-necrophagist/ex-Spawn of Possession/also on some Hannes Grossmann stuff and his solo project) has posted on here before. I remember for sure, him asking the forum if anyone wanted tab books for his solo project. I wouldn't consider anyone "the best player on the forum" but he is one of the best guitarists out there in my opinion and certainly on here. Definitely one of my favorites.

3. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

That's how the music 'industry' works these days. Anyone else on here got more kids pirating their albums than Misha?

I've been in guitar stores here in the U.K. and heard kids playing Periphery riffs, I've been in guitar stores in Tokyo and heard kids playing Periphery riffs. I've not recognised any other forum member's tunes being played around the world. If you have, let us know who...

4. littleredguitars2

littleredguitars2 green canaries

the dudes a beast

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

You guys are actually managing to make one of the stupidest harmony central style threads on here in a long time entertaining :rofl:

6. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

No i cant name one as far as what the KIDS are into these days. Since its mostly KIDS who listen to Periphery. (No offense)

7. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

this :D And on top of that: "who's the best", "the most difficult" and "dat speed" (and similar) threads regularly pop up. That is funny in itself, but not only because it is obvious that "best" and "difficult" is subjective and "speed" interests some and not others etc etc, but also because you know there will be a handful of experienced chaps dropping by to share that 'the experienced thing to do is to recognise that it is subjective and thus pointless to discuss these things'.

I would suggest there's an experienced way to still contribute if you feel like it next time: give -your- definition and -your- opinion based on that definition instead :D Example: Since best is subjective I'd say they'd have to have posted here, released stuff and then I'd pick one of the dudes whose technique I adore the most (I like tech death), So Bryssling, Suicmez and Muenzner would be good suggestions for me.

8. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Exactly, just like it was the 'kids' listening to Van Halen in the late 70s and 80s and Vai in the 80s and early 90s. It's kids that have guitar heroes and its guitar heroes that get signature gear and world tours...

Fraz666 and Casper777 like this.
  9. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

That's why I always quote my opinions with a "IMHO". I always see people writing, "Eddie Van Halen is the best guitar player". I always write it as, "IMHO, Eddie is one of the best guitar players".

To me and you, Suicmez and Muenzner are awesome but others may disagree.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  10. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

The best guitarist of the forum? I have always preferred nuance and expression over technical prowess. So my view on who would be the best guitarist would likely not align with the majority.

11. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Having a bunch of fans doesn't make you a great guitarist otherwise John Mayer would probably be the "best" guitarist ever. Respect to Misha as a person because he seems like a pretty cool dude, but from a musical/technical standpoint, he doesn't even deserve a mention in this thread.

12. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Maybe not from a 'technical' point of view, maybe... but from the point of view of playing something that other folks here want to listen to, that has a level of complexity and focus on the instrument that still has his stuff regarded as 'guitar music', he's got it sorted.

There are lots of guys who get their technique to the point that it ceases to be a limit on their playing, but as guitarists, rather than just technicians, they haven't got a sense of melody, they lose the musicality to the point no one can be bothered to listen to them. And, as a 'guitarist' rather than a pure technician, that is where they lose out.

I understand what you're saying about Mayer, but i'd suggest (to other guitarists at least) the chap is regarded as a singer who plays guitar, rather than a guitarist. Hell I'd say he's regarded as a pop star, more than a singer or a guitarist to be honest.

13. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Does anyone else imagine Misha cringing at how hard this dude's been redefining words and standards to make the case to literally everyone else in the thread that Misha deserves to win this hypothetical registered message board member contest?

WHAT IS EVEN AT STAKE?

I say we rename the thread to "who on ss.org most resembles Lawrence Limburger from Biker Mice from Mars?"

https://www.google.com/search?q=law...q-XVAhWDxYMKHdaLASMQ_AUIESgB&biw=1024&bih=653

Then Misha can win a big, sloppy kiss from_MonSTeR_

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Fraz666 and AxeHappy like this.
  14. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

If all you want to do is post vacuous fire and forget opinions, might I be so bold as to suggest you head over to Facebook and update your status with who you think should be the winner of your contest? You can change it again tomorrow if you have something nice for lunch and want to share a picture too!

I'm trying to engage in debate about who I think is the best, most complete guitarist who is also a registered message board member, rather than the most one-dimensional bedroom nerd with a YouTube channel a hellish practice regime and no tunes at the end of it all. Maybe I've misunderstood the whole idea of what message boards are used for these days. Maybe I should just post 'tech death rules all' (does it need a 'z'?) and let folks with momentary attention spans just post up the 'nodding' smilie?

works0fheart likes this.
  15. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Me.
    Source: my mum.

Fraz666, AxeHappy, Nlelith and 4 others like this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Reminds me of when Mr Burns was looking for an heir to give his money to, and Milhouse tries out. Mr Burns says, "I specifically said no geeks!" And Milhouse replies, quite defeated, "But my mom says I'm cool. :(" :lol:

17. purpledc

I don't like anything about john mayer. But I think you are projecting his public lifestyle and image over his musical contributions. If he was just a pop star I doubt he would have the vast amount of high end signature equipment that is tied to his name.

18. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Part of the issue that I have there (and probably the reason for my oversight) is a lack of general exposure to him and his music, he's never really been anything mainstream here in the U.K., we only see him because of his celebrity love life, as someone said earlier, even his ex Taylor Swift has a signature guitar! Here, he's more famous as her ex boyfriend than as a musician here. But, oh my! Doesn't he have a lot of expensive toys!!!

He's not a member here is he?

19. MFB

MFB ExBendable

This.

You don't get a $3-5K signature Two Rock amp just for plowing hot, female celebrities. Dude can play and sing his ass off, and he's got the gear to back it.

20. purpledc

and now he has a $6,000 prs amp.