"Who am I?" Any fellow lost musicians?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by terran236, May 25, 2015.

1. facepalm66

facepalm66 The Master of Joints

I've given up my hopes of doing something music related in life. So from passion it became a hobby. I still write some stuff now and then, but I do it slowly and lethargic; followed a 'rush of spontaneus creativity'

2. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I haven't touched a musical instrument since March. Just have had so much negative sh*t going on and haven't been feeling it. Anytime I think about it, I quickly lose motivation or feel like I will be "forcing" myself to attempt to play or attempt to write, which isn't good. So I've just been taking some time off. And like facepalm66, I've given up hopes of ever doing anything music-related in life.

I understand where the OP and others are coming from.

3. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

I guess you could say I'm in a rut as well; I haven't written a full song with guitar in it for close to a year. I've been writing electronic stuff but lately I feel like my creativity with guitar is in a stalemate. It'll pass though. This isn't the first time I've had a writers block. Keep your head up man, the most important thing is to have fun with it.

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

A lot of my peers are getting discouraged because what it means/takes to "make it" musically has drastically changed compared to what it was in the 90s. Everyone can get a guitar, a laptop and and interface and flood the Internet with so much music that you can feel lost.

I feel this is a little OT but I needed to put that out there. I'm almost 30, on my second marriage and have two kids on top of my full time job. I have little free time, and that alone motivates me to play. I've had a running ad on CL for months now (I too have horrible social interactions/autism/anxiety) and im actually getting tons of responses. Making music by myself takes so much time/energy/focus that I don't have anymore. I've learned (quite recently) that I need to suck it up, get out there and make things happen, because depending on outside sources to get yourself in gear is a waste of time and a ....ty excuse

/rant

5. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Les Paul said something very similar in his later years. I remember him talking about it in the documentary 'Chasing Sound'. I tried to skim through it to find the exact quote, but I couldn't find it. For anyone who hasn't watched it, yet, it's worth seeing, anyway:

But, yeah, he talked about how he spent years chasing his guitar heroes and trying to squeeze as many notes in as he could, until one day he realized he could say a lot more with one note than he could with several.

6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

The only way you'll find your voice is to keep making sounds whether you like them or not. Eventually you'll find what you like. Another thing that might help is studying some music theory. Chord theory will help a lot because it can help you to recognize hearing different things and that will help you to more quickly express your ideas on your instrument.

Often I feel like the reason I don't like my songs is because I either don't have the chops to play what I've heard in my head yet OR I didn't play it close enough to what I heard in my head melodically.

Some folks choose to learn music theory so that they can cram as much of it as they can into each song. For me, that approach is what leads me to feel the way you do. Instead, I use music theory to explain/communicate my ideas to other musicians and to help me quickly identify and play back what I'm hearing in my head. I prefer that it be an after thought than my driving force. :2c:

7. terran236

terran236 Iridescent Noise

Wow, didnt expect this many responses after my last post. Great stuff!

Great vid, watched a piece, will defintely watch the rest. Interesting for Sure.

Awesome attitude, i also suffer from anxiety/social issues as well as random bouts of depression/hyper happiness(bipolar?)

Im glad to hear some people have that sort of epiphany xD May never happen for me but at least i know it happens!

Thats how its been lately for me as well. Last song i wrote and recorded was during october 2014, wrote a 14 min song in the matter of a week this week. Now in a rut, i cant finish it. Damn brain!

I kind of gave up many years ago at 17, before i even tried . Now at 27 prog woke me up enough to care enough to learn to play at a higher than i thought my self possible. But like you I just dont see my self on a stage. I just see my music as a painting I put out there for people to hear.

Good attitude to have. Sucks when one is impatient type. Makes getting out of the rut feel like its taking for ever. Especially if all some of us have is music. Keep the positivity going!