Which to get: 2021 Honda CR-V vs 2021 Toyota RAV4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Xaios, Jun 6, 2021.

Which small SUV should I get?

1. 2021 Honda CR-V LX AWD

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. 2021 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

So yeah, buying a brand new vehicle for the first time in my life. I want something with decent fuel economy that I can also take off the beaten path a bit, and something that stands a decent chance of not crapping out (after working for my current employer, I'm quite confident that I'll never buy a Ford).

So yeah, narrowed it down to two of the most popular vehicles in North America, the CR-V and the RAV4. I'm looking at the Base + All Wheel Drive versions of each (CR-V LX AWD and RAV4 LE AWD). I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with either (a couple model years in the past is fine too, so long as it's in the same model generation), or if anyone who works with cars has opinions on their comparative reliability.

Here's where I'm at. I test drove both of them today, and as far as the ride went, the RAV4 is the winner. Not by a huge margin, but enough to be considerable. It has ever so slightly more legroom in the front seats, an automatic with a sports shifter (something I've been using since I learned to drive, essentially an automatic that can mimic the behavior of a standard) as opposed to the CVT in the CR-V, and slightly more power. However, the CR-V has better predicted reliability, and other notable nice-to-haves such as more cargo space and significantly more legroom in the rear seats. The CR-V is also priced slightly better and Honda is offering a significantly lower interest rate (0.99% compared to 3.69% from Toyota).

One last fly in the ointment is that my parents have a 2009 Camry, and while the car itself has been generally reliable, a few years back they had a very negative interaction with the local Toyota dealer's service department. They were told that the vehicle had a cracked engine block by the service people. My parents, being diligent and suspicious, got a second opinion. It did not.

I guess the dilemma is this. Do I sacrifice a bit in the everyday riding comfort for a) slightly lower price, b) the possibility that the vehicle might be more reliable in the long run, c) features that, while not immediately useful, could be beneficial in the future, and d) access to a service department that might be better than the other.

Alas, decision paralysis overwhelms me. So I turn to you, denizens of Sevenstring.org, known makers of consistently sound financial decisions regarding gear purchases, for wisdom.

(Also, for the record, I'd consider the hybrid variants of each if a) Honda even offered the hybrid CR-V in Canada, which they don't, and b) the RAV4 didn't have a heater that flat out doesn't turn on if the car is in electric mode and the temperature is below 20F, which is definitely an issue for me as I live north of the 60th parallel. As such, they're both off the table.)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

You should be able to get that interest rate from Toyota down some. The dealership doesn't have to use Toyota Financial and if that rate is a concern to you, they should be able to find you a lower rate if you push them a little bit ( and if they want you to buy a vehicle from them as opposed to taking your business elsewhere). That 3.69% may actually be the best that they can do, but I'd at least make sure if you really do like that vehicle better.

My brother in law just retired from Honda and I know that he and I can't even discuss Honda vs Toyota lol, but I've had 6 Toyota vehicles in the past 20 years and between reliability and minimal dealership sales/ service gripes, I'll always be a Toyota guy. Good luck with your search.

3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

I flat out told the Toyota salesperson that Honda offered me 0.99% and he said there was nothing they could do, so yeah, that's where I am on that.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

All things being just about the same, go for the better rate and warranty.

Completely biased and anecdotal: go with the Toyota, I've had long term experience with four across my circle and they're reliable and comfortable.

5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

There's really only one thing I know about either of these vehicles, so I'm going with the all new Honda CR-V. Be a level 7 susceptible.

Mathemagician and Xaios like this.
  6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

You son of a bitch. I'm in.

Do I get to have Billy Zane try to sell me one? Because that would just be the cherry on top.

StevenC likes this.
  7. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

8. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Does the CR-V still have a faulty heater in winter? Wasnt all of them but if it gets cold where you are, that's enough to sway me. Honda basically said "tough shit" too.

9. CM_X5

CM_X5 SS.org Regular

Yeah they never really solved that, other than installing circulating block heaters. They've had a lot of other issues recently too so I'd go Toyota

10. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Having just seriously driven both (I ended up with an A4 but that's a different story), the CR-V was much better, IMO. Last two cars were a Prius and a Lexus and I *really* wanted to buy a Toyota but they've screwed the ergonomics up so badly that I couldn't get comfortable in the damn thing, and the CR-V was noticeably better on ride and much less body roll in turns.

Honda solved the problem with the heater and the antifreeze leaking into the oil by punting on that motor and only offering the tweaked version of the Accord motor, which I found quite drivable even with the CVT.

budda likes this.
  11. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I like the look of the Rav4 much more.

12. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Fred Armisen is a treasure.

I decided on the CR-V. When I did the math, the difference in finance rates was significant enough to sway me. Specced out the way I'd want each, the difference in price was less than $100 before cost of borrowing, but more than $2,200 after it. I know I'm giving up a nicer infotainment system by choosing the CR-V and that stings a little, but I'm just more confident in the rest of the vehicle. Also, while I'd like to have the sports shifter in the Toyota, the Honda's CVT does have modes to simulate lower gearing to allow for things like engine braking, so I'll live.

I did read extensively about the engine heating and oil dilution issues, and my understanding is that, especially in the 2021 models, they've been largely solved. I run a plug-in block heater on a timer, so the former is a non-issue for me anyway.

13. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Enjoy the new ride!

14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

E̶a̶t̶ drive fresh!