Which should come first?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JEngelking, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

Yes, yet another thread where you tell a person how to spend their money.

Anyway, I'm currently saving up for an HD Pro. A couple months ago I realized I didn't have a six string with humbuckers (as my single coil six doesn't sound very good), and my seven obviously does have HBs but doesn't sound all that amazing. Therefore I decided that before I get the POD I'd want a nice sounding guitar to play through it right when I got it, rather than getting the POD and not knowing it's true potential due to a not-so-great sounding seven.

The guitar I got sounds alright, but I think could be even better if I had the pickups swapped. However, I've been GASing for this POD for a while now. :D

My friend says "My advice is to get the pups before. That's the best thing for your tone, although the POD will help a ton."

TL;DR- My question: Would it be best to get the pickups swapped now and wait to get the HD Pro, or could the pup swap wait while the POD could handle the majority of the tone?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

2. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

More of your tone is in your amplifier (or modeler) than any other part of your rig. Get the Pod first. It'll take you a few months to navigate the bastard and by then, you'll have enough for a set of pickups. Or have decided that pickups aren't necessary.

This way, if you get the pickups, you'll be able to objectively tell the difference and whether it's worth it.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

The POD will have a much larger effect on overall tones then your pickups. What are the guitars and what are the pickups?

How does your SC 6 not sound good?

Great amps make cheap guitars sound decent :yesway:

4. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

America comes first, always.

I would also echo what these guys are saying about the POD. Think about it: The best guitar you can think of still wouldn't sound good through some off-brand, 15w practice amp that was pissed on and then thrown around in some redneck's garage.

Interesting story - One time I stepped in dog shit, left my shoe outside because I was too lazy to clean it, and then came back a few months later to find that a baby possum had climbed in it somehow and died. Not only did it die, but all that was left was the skeleton. I kept the shoe.

I still wear that pair, too.

5. JEngelking

Yeah, that was my train of thought. :D

The SC 6 just doesn't sound good no matter what I've played it through, I don't really know how to explain it. :lol: Just like... crunchy but not in a good way. Like sizzly sounding.

The guitar I most recently bought was a Douglas Gravity NT HUM AS NA Semi Hollow. Had GAS for a Tele or semi-hollow but not the money for a Fender, therefore that haha. Despite the low price, it actually is a pretty good guitar, nice and comfortable to play. It just has stock pickups (generic Rondo ones I guess), and I was thinking of getting a set of Tesla pickups for it.

I figured getting the POD and using the Gravity with it, I'd be able to get some good tones out of it. Then later, a pickup upgrade would just be the cherry on top. :yesway:

6. JEngelking

'MURICA. :lol:

But yeah, I definitely see what you're getting at.

And also: dat story... dat story.

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Did you re-EQ for the single coils? They have more high end, bite and sizzle - that's what to expect from them.

8. JEngelking

I did yeah, still wasn't very good sounding to me. Regardless, it's an old no-name Strat knockoff that's not very comfortable to play anyway, so it's not a huge issue.

9. JEngelking

Sounds like I've got the plan now, but gonna go ahead and :bump: this up once just to possibly get a couple more opinions.

10. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

deffo get the pod first you may find the 7 sounds ok through it.