Which pickups for PRS SE 277 Baritone?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by PunkBillCarson, Dec 4, 2019.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Okay everyone, so...

I got a PRS 277 and while it's amazing stock... I still can't help but think new pickups would make it even better. Now normally, I'd just throw some Black Winters in and call it a day, but with me being in drop B flat tuning, I'm wondering if there's something else I could throw in that might fit it better. I'm thinking Pegasus or Nazgul, but I'm open to suggestions from others as well!

Thank you in advance.

For what it's worth, suggestions don't have to be Seymour Duncans if there's something else that might fit. Obviously, everyone knows I'm not much of a djent kid, I just want something that's nice and aggressive, with clarity.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

IDK man the possibilities are endless. I have a 25.5" scale guitar in C standard/drop B and its Jazz/Custom 5 set handles that tuning brilliantly. Or turn it into a PRS Holcomb with an alpha/omega set? Something like Gibson 490R/498T would probably be awesome too.

3. PunkBillCarson

Yeah the Custom 5 is another pickup I was looking at.

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Why are you even asking this question? You already know the answer. :D

Actually I would recommend trying a Nazgul. I really like mine, especially the lower I tune, though I only go as low as drop B. It does have more clarity than the BW, which is nice sometimes. It doesn’t have quite as much low end wallop, but that’s not to say it doesn’t have enough low end. The lows are just a bit more focused and punchy (tight). The mids are more focused around 1.5khz-2khz as well, which may require a different approach to your amp settings. Personally I find that the Nazgul requires a little more focus to play because of the extra clarity and it’s a little unforgiving of mistakes. When you get a feel for it though, it is on par with the BW — just a slightly different flavor of brutal.

The only other bridge pickup I can recommend from experience is the Dimarzio D-Sonic.

Choop likes this.
  5. PunkBillCarson

Well, you led me to the holy grail of tone before, so... I'm thinking Nazgul and Sentient is what I might be after. I've heard it has a mid-honk that can get annoying. Is that less apparent on lower tunings and how punchy is it for single note runs? How is it for At The Gates style riffage?

6. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

I'd second the D-Sonic. It was super sexy for low tunings. Throw a Liquifire or an Air Norton in the Neck and baby you've got a stew goin'. On the other hand I've heard a bunch of Alpha/Omega pickups in various guitars over the years and you can't go wrong with that either.

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Yes, the mid-honk is less apparent on lower tunings. It is great for single note runs, and the leads are incredible when cutting through a dense mix. I think it sounds great for At The Gates style riffs where you're alternating palm-muted strings in a riff. I'll see if I can make a quick demo of some riffs for you in the next few days. Regarding the mid-honk, I find that I only notice it if I get lazy in my playing. It is a very reactive pickup in how it responds to palm-muting pressure, pick angle, etc. When I pick up my Black Winter equipped guitars I can get away with a lot more.

8. PunkBillCarson

This is the video that I'm using since the guitar is in the same tuning as the one I'm using. By the way, anyone know anything about the Seymour Duncan Liberator pot? It's supposed to minimize soldering or eliminate it when changing pickups.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

Pretty much any of the pickups I've demoed in my 6 string shootout would work with the basic parameters of aggressive/clear (except for the super 3/parallel axis and a couple others).
    Realistically it's a matter of how much clarity you want versus output and exactly how the voice is "aggressive" eg does it have growly grindy mids like the afwayu/ snarly upper mid focus, or just sheer pummeling low end/output

10. PunkBillCarson

I basically want a lot of grit in my tone with a healthy lowend. So far, from that video, the Pegasus and Nazgul fit my tastes best.

11. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I use a Liberator. You initially have to solder it in, but after that, you use a small screwdriver to clamp wires into a terminal. It is bigger than a regular pot, so not for tiny cavities, but it works great!

12. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Sounds like the Nazgul might work out for you then.

I really like the Pegasus (have a 6 and 7 string model) but its a fairly 'tame' pickup; not to say it doesn't have a little bit of grittiness to it, but its not an aggressive grit, its a pretty mellow pickup.

13. PunkBillCarson

How does the Nazgul do in Mahogany? Also, I'm running through a 6505+, with Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang cab, using an SD-1 as a boost.

14. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

All of the positive reviews I’ve seen of the Nazgul were in mahogany guitars. That’s what mine is in, so I can’t really compare it to anything else. It sounds good though.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

nazgul is good in mahogany. seems to mellow out the croaky/honky quality that it can get in brighter guitars

16. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Actually Mahogany seems to be one of the favored body woods for those you use the Nazgul. I've heard that it tames any harshness that you sometimes get with the Nazgul soloing in the higher register.

17. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

It does. But it's annoyance factor seems to decrease in proportion to the lower tunings you use. At B/A standard using relative lighter gauge strings, I found the Nazgul to be dry/scratchy/chalky sounding. Switching to a .074 for my low string and using a G standard tuning the pup's tone seems to even out a bit.

A good choice, I think, if you're doing a lot of fast picking/tech stuff, but not so hot if you're more into playing slower, doomier riffs.

18. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

don't forget he has a meme djent tone dialed in for that video, it's useful to listen to some other comparisons as well (but they all have their own issues & none are as comprehensive as Merrow's)

the biggest thing I actually like Merrow's video for is comparing the harmonics & the chunk of the palm mutes, since his tone is nothing like what I would actually use

Zoobiedood and Zhysick like this.
  19. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

A lot of grit and a healthy low end?

Ceramic Warpig?

20. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 Member

My guitarist and I used PRS se 277 baritones in the studio a few months back and loaded them with Black Winters and got a phenomenal sound out of them, using .14-.68 strings and tuned a couple of ways (drop-A# as well as drop-G). Also tried out a Nazgul and a Pegasus in one of them and was pleased with those results too, particularly from the Pegasus, which had a certain clarity and bite to it that I thought really worked well with the 277. Side note-- normally I find the stock PRS pickups to be pretty good but was really unhappy with the ones we got in these new 277's. I don't know what changed and why but yeah we had to swap those out right away. Anyhow I'd be interested to hear what you choose and how it works out. I've been sticking with the Black Winters for now but the sound of that Pegasus has kinda stuck with me and considering putting that one in there instead.