Which Metal Drum VST to buy?? Urgitone, SD3?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Politics of Ecstasy, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

Hey guys

There are so many metal drums VSTs now. I dont know where to start.
    I have always used Toontrack; i have SD 2.0 and EZ drummer 2.0 [also Steven Slate]
    They are somewhat outdated, but still useful

However, I saw urgitone has a sale for like 50% off and they have a lot of drum/midi samples and libraries that i might be able to use....

Anyway, I’m looking at Urgitone Northern Artillery+KVLT II+all the midi for $90

Anyone know of other drum vsts on sale? That you recommend for metal? Especially if they have a lot of pre. Made grooves, midi etc

Thank you

Gmork likes this.
  2. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Following. Just got my setup to where I can record again. Using Nameless Suite (and trying Nolly, etc). Would like to buy some nice drum stuff.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I've been REALLY impressed with the dynamicism of SD3 - the realism of ghost notes, accents, etc - but that stuff is probably more critical for more laid back, dynamic stuff than full bore metal, and a lot of guys around here have complained about 3.0 for hits not sounding terribly "hard" even near or at full velocity. I've only been using the stock kits (there's a ton), though so maybe some of the add-on packs are better in this respect.

4. NoodleFace

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out.

Good to see you, I remember trading that 1527 in person at Longhorn many years ago!

5. Aewrik

Aewrik SS.org Regular

Death & Darkness is heavy and punchy as hell, especially Death for modern metal.

If you want to spice up the core library, stacking is the way to go:

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, for the stuff I write and record (sort of bluesy shred in the Andy Timmons, Joe Satriani, and Nick Johnston vein) the stock kit is actually about perfect, and nothing some judicious saturation and parallel compression can't give some mass to. I'm just not really the typical user here, I suspect. :lol:

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Oh no shit! I didn't recognize your user name. Dude, that guitar is the one that got away for me. I didn't get on with the DActivators at all but that was the best Ibby necks I've ever played, and I've owned and played some absurdly nice Ibanez 7s over the years. I sold it to a buddy of mine (He evidently ran into you on another board) who slapped a "Top Secret" sticker on that behind the bridge, so I've always kept my eyes open for a 1527 with a sticker like that (it was actual govt issue so damned near impossible to remove) on it. How've you been? Glad to see you're still playing, I remember you feeling like it was tough to get the time for music back then.

8. ghostOG

ghostOG SS.org Regular

I've been using a kit in Addictive Drums 2 with Metal Foundry... and I bought the Ugritone all midi pack. You can hear it on my bandmix page. On the first "song" there, the intro tom beat, and the last bass & drums section are Ugritone midi tracks.

It's just some backing drum tracks for riff ideas... as such I don't usually mess with velocities or humanizing or writing interesting drum fills, so you could probably get better results.
    https://www.bandmix.com/nytrix

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 4:17 PM
  9. NoodleFace

Yeah I think he was on my gamer forum, if it's the guy I'm thinking. Doing much better now, thanks. All graduated with a career and family and stuff. Hope you're doing well. I did love that guitar

10. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Urgitone's Kvlt Drum 2/Northern Artilerry for budget-minded.
    Perfect Drums if you want tons of processed samples + out of the box playing
    GGD Invasion if you a fan of Nolly or just a good all-around drum VST that won't break the bank too much as well as get it up and running with minimal fuzz
    Room Sound Jay Maas/Blasting Room/Kurt Ballou if you want a more raw/natural tone but with bells and whistles
    Superior Drummer Death and Darkness if you have the cash and are willing to do post-processing to make it good.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Oh no shit, congrats man! No family yet, but a girlfriend (who's pretty awesome) who wants one, so my days are probably numbered there. Still playing a ton though inasmuch as my job and cycling will allow. I'm stoked to hear you're doing well, and know that there's a couple guys keeping a close watch out for that particular guitar. :lol:

12. atoragon

atoragon SS.org Regular

perfect drums has the best pre processed samples I've ever heard