Which MC?

hswirlmaster

Reaction score
I thought I'd see what the general concensus is on MC Universes: Which do you all prefer and why?

- 2010 Ibanez Universe MC Swirl Reissue
- 90's Ibanez Universe MC Swirl ATD
- 90's Ibanez Universe MC Swirl MKR

I'm pretty knowledgeable regarding all these models but I want to see what the rest of the community thinks of these MC's. I personally like the Japanese swirls for the more color and lack of black paint. The ATD's are very nice but I find it harder to find swirls that I like with ATD compared to the MKR's. Also reissues are hugely overpriced compared with normal ATD, MKR swirls but thats my opinion and am hypocritical because I do own one.

Discuss? :)

For argument sake I consider this RE a 6/10
2hcq0ko.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Visually, I'd take a nice ATD over just about anything. The Reissues are really nice too, I really like how they went with more vivid shades.

The only mustard, ketchup, and relish I like is on my hot dogs. ;) There's a reason those go for thousands less in the market.

So for me:
1) ATD
2) RE
3) Anything else ever. :lol:
4) MKR

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
IMO the reissues look the nicest. Every one I've seen has had a very even balance of colors. I don't really like it when there's too much yellow, something that was more common in the ATDs. Also reissues will be MINT, so that kinda justifies the cost a little, as near mint ATDs go for A LOT nowadays. Japanese ones are always hit/miss. The good ones are amazing though...

hswirlmaster

Reaction score
Visually, I'd take a nice ATD over just about anything. The Reissues are really nice too, I really like how they went with more vivid shades.

The only mustard, ketchup, and relish I like is on my hot dogs. ;) There's a reason those go for thousands less in the market.

So for me:
1) ATD
2) RE
3) Anything else ever. :lol:
4) MKR

Your opinion and I appreciate it :) I agree most MKR's are not brilliant and original ATD's are great. I prefer the more yellow! I am hypocritical because I own a reissue but that is where my dislike comes from, the experience of owning one.

hswirlmaster

Reaction score
IMO the reissues look the nicest. Every one I've seen has had a very even balance of colors. I don't really like it when there's too much yellow, something that was more common in the ATDs. Also reissues will be MINT, so that kinda justifies the cost a little, as near mint ATDs go for A LOT nowadays. Japanese ones are always hit/miss. The good ones are amazing though...

The good Japanese ones are so hard to find yes, but they are amazing when found. I see your points about the RE but I still can't justify in my mind the price. The neck is 5pce and not as good as the originals (in my mind). Thanks for the input!

dsquared

Reaction score
I prefer ATDs to MKRs, and reissues to originals if price is not a consideration. Taking mojo out of the equation, the reissues are just better made guitars. Improved specs + more modern technology + Fujigen = better, imho.

That said, the reissues are ridiculously expensive and out of my price range. If I was actually going to try to buy one, I'd look for an original or MKR in good condition with a swirl I liked. Not every ATD swirl is great and not every MKR swirl is bad, although it seems that way sometimes.

Latest posts