Which guitar brands have you taken the biggest loss on resale?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Womb raider, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Hachetjoel

Hachetjoel Ibanez whore Contributor

I'm a big Ibanez guy but I will say that you're going to take a hit selling new to used because I mean seriously how many used basswood body maple neck rosewood fretboard hum single hum with a Floyd Ibanez guitars are out there on the used market. It's an absurd amount.

Carvin is always going to be a huge loss because the only reason to buy a carvin is because you can pick your own specs.

I disagree with ebmm they regularly are listed and sell for close to retail value.

2. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I've lost big on a carvin and a few schecters over the years.

3. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time... Contributor

4. rx

rx I drink water.

Also Dean and Washburn. :)

5. tjrlogan

tjrlogan SS.org Regular

ESP Japan signature guitars (I've seen 4K SRC sigs regularly go for less than half that), Ibanez J-Customs, Washburn USA and Dean USA.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Anyone buying a new guitar has to understand that you don't make money from reselling them.

Anything custom is going to take a bigger hit in price. Also, the weirder the design, the worse the price drop.

Just looking at brands, though, I think Parker might win. I've seen people I know buy a Fly Artist for $4k+, and a couple years later, sell for under $1k. I think that's insane, but it comes back to the weirdness factor.

The only guitars I've been able to sell for what I paid for them (used) were Fenders, Teiscos, and Danelectros. I have a couple historic BC Rich USA guitars that I might have done okay selling if I had found a buyer just at the right time, but I think they're not going to do well at all now.

I was hear broken when I sold a bunch of cool guitars along with a cheap Epiphone that was barely playable, and got a better price on the Epiphany than the RG570 or Brian Moore.

7. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I tend to buy new guitars nowdays when they are heavily discounted or I've played the guitar and I'm sure I'm keeping it. Although all of my latest purchases have been used and preferably close to the price I can sell them again without loosing too much money if I don't bond with the guitar. The only guitar I had a quite big loss was my BC Rich JrV deluxe NJ that I bought new and manage to sell for 2/3 of each original price. Not as bad as other people have done but damn. I had also sold a Ravenwest guitar I had bought for half price but it wasn't that expensive to begin with.
    I did sell a basically mint Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4X12 for 450€ less than new price. It was still under waranty :'(.

8. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Funny some of you have mentioned Ibanez which I find funny, because the story of my RG is kind of the polar opposite, if you don't mind me sharing.

The last new guitar I bought, (if you don't count my warmoth) was my RG1421F, it had been on the floor at GC for about a year, and was on clearance for $600. Action was ...., fretboard was dry, frets were filthy, but it had a really nice flame top and I knew it had potential. So I bought it, and today it plays like buttah. Frets are perfect, action is perfect. It has a few battle scars from being my #1 guitar for the past 5 years. After replacing the stock pickups with a JB/59 combo, and being lucky enough to get it signed my Paul Gilbert, and Guthrie Govan, I've gotten offers for her in the $1k range. Though I would never sell her :cool:

Though my Warmoth, despite spending close to $1500 on it, would probably resell for about $800. If it said "fender custom shop" on the headstock, it would probably go closer to $1500-$2000 with the specs I have.

9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Add me to the Carvin list.

10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I usually only buy new two kinds of guitars: "limited" Gibsons and cheap Ibbyu models when they are just released and I don't want to wait.
    There is no way I'd buy an expensive Ibanez new. ESPs aren't really an issue since I don't want to sell them. ^^

11. Sparkplug

Sparkplug Limp Bizkit Lover

probably everything, since buyers needs and audaciousness seem to grow more and more.

12. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

I lost around 50% of a Dean Razorback V, but I was definitely just glad to be rid of it.

13. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Pretty much everything in this day and age, just near impossible to make any profit selling gear.

14. Gravy Train

Gravy Train SS.org Regular

I love Ibanez and they are my preferred/favorite brand, but the resale value isn't very good. I lost about 50% on both of the Ibanez S series I just sold.

Needless to say, I don't buy my guitars with resale in mind, which I probably should :lol:

15. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

Unless you have something REALLY desirable by collectors like a 59 les paul it's impossible. I don't have an issue with not making money on resale, but geez, it just kills to resell a guitar these days.

THIS THIS THIS. I think it cuts both ways a little, but buyers are always looking to get a "steal" or a "win". They can't just think "I like this guitar and I'm willing to buy it at a reasonable price." I always feel like they are trying to screw you and many people don't know how to negotiate. Don't offer 50% off of what I'm asking.

Seller sometimes though are unreasonable as to how much their gear is worth, but in my experience, are wayyyyy more flexible.

16. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

smaller less well known builders for sure. Even though the quality is great the names just don't demand high prices. I will never buy anything from a small builders again for that very reason. I Like my suhr moderns : )

17. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

:wavey:

What models did you have?

I'm a huge fan of B.C. Rich, both U.S. custom shop models and imports, so naturally, I'm curious in what people have/had. :cool:

18. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

That's awesome! If I saw a 1421 at the music store for $600, I would definitely buy it in a heartbeat. Prestige neck, flame maple top, limited edition. Yes. I will take it. :agreed:

19. bzhan1

bzhan1 Banned

Biggest loss was $50 on a Carvin

-only buy used crew
    -only sell for profit crew

20. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I very rarely buy guitars brand new, but I let my Jackson WR1 go for a grand about a decade ago. But that was far back enough (2002) that a USA WR1 with an upcharged finish option (Yellow Gold Pearl) only cost me $1600 brand new through my local Jackson dealer. Still a pretty big hit.