Which fixed-bridge 7?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by keithb, Apr 17, 2005.

1. keithb

keithb Forum MVP

I'm in the market for a nice fixed-bridge 7 - I think I'm going to sell my S540 (I love her, but since I got the Jem, I just don't play her...) and my project UV. What should I look at for nice 7's? I was thinking Carvin, but then I realized I'd just have them build something like an Ibanez 7621 for 3x the price :D

2. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

My Carvin will be here Friday, I'll let you know! I can't wait.

3. Shikaru

Shikaru Mechanical Thunder Contributor

Maybe you'd like a 7621 if you already seem to like the feel of ibanez necks. Plus like you said, it'll be cheaper :D

4. keithb

keithb Forum MVP

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. They're not too easy to find, and I'm open to other options :D

Thanks!

5. Shikaru

Schecter do some really good fixed guitars. I own one of the older models which has a 2pc stop tailpiece thing. The newer ones are string through body, if you're open to that. There's a few guys on here who own shecters like Chris, who give them good reviews. I think they're not too expensive as well.

6. keithb

keithb Forum MVP

I do like the look of the Schecters - however, I'd have to find one to test-drive somewhere, and the music stores around here (possibly everywhere) don't really carry 7-strings.

Edit: The C7-blackjack looks really sweet - I wouldn't even have to replace the pickups :D One question: how is the upper-fret access? It looks like frets 21-24 might be a bit hard to reach over the body...

7. Shikaru

I couldn't say for sure, having never played a C7, but the neck joint looks similar to my Omen-7. It maybe takes a bit more effort to play up there, but i find it doesn't restrict my playing that much. Nowhere near as bad as some neck joints I've seen :D

I'm pretty sure Chris has a C7 now that i think about it, if he'd pop in and give his opinion.

8. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I wanna get a 7321 to tweak, like a project guitar.
    Or a 7621. But there wouldnt be as much to do on that one.

9. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

my RG7621 rocks! i really dig it.

10. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

I have the 007 Blackjack, so I don't know if the cutaway is different on the C-7, but the 007 has the easiest upper fret access I've ever played. It's a set neck, but it's joined to the body in a way that looks identical to a neck through. If I hadn't heard that it was set neck before I got it I would have assumed it was neck through. There's no bulky joint or anything, the neck just seamlessly glides into the body. It sure as heck ain't no bulky Les Paul joint, that's for sure. Just think of a neck through and you'll know what I mean.

11. Papa Shank

Papa Shank Be-otch

I know you're looking for a fixed bridge but have you thought about a 7 with a trem and just blocking it?

12. keithb

keithb Forum MVP

I'm no stranger to floating trems, but I'd like to be able to explore alternate tunings, etc with a bit less hassle. I guess I could buy a fixed-bridge guitar, block the trem and leave the nut unlocked :D

13. Papa Shank

Papa Shank Be-otch

I think you meant to say "buy a guitar with a trem, block the trem and leave the nut unlocked :D"

otherwise, good luck blocking a fixed bridge :nuts:

14. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Thats exactly what he meant. ;p
    In that case, buy a UV. ;p

15. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i love my RG7421... great guitar... totally worth it, even tho i paid 325 for what the auction said was a RG7621 lol... but yeah, it was worth it... put a dimarzio blaze custom in the bridge, but i think i'm gonna try an Evo7 now, maybe put the blaze custom bridge pup in the neck, and wire in a 3 way switch ala my rhoads v instead of the ibanez 5 way

16. keithb

keithb Forum MVP

Yes, that is definately what I meant to say :D

17. uv-7

uv-7 Member

I would recomend a rg7321. great value for the price.

18. keithb

keithb Forum MVP

I played a Schecter C-1 Blackjack yesterday (probably the closest thing I'll find to a C-7 Blackjack). I liked the feel, but I'm a bit worried that the lack of an arm contour might be a bit uncomfortable.

I'm still looking for that 'perfect' 7 - I know I'd like a 7-string RG, so I'll keep my eyes open for one. Carvin is still a possibility as well, and I like the idea of being able to configure the guitar just how I want it (probably mahogany with SS frets) - a bit more expensive though, and I've never played one.