Which Cab for my Herbert?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by submergedindirt, Jul 25, 2019.

1. submergedindirt

submergedindirt SS.org Regular

Ok so I just got a Diezel Herbert MKII head and I'm trying to get pointed in the right direction as to which one of my current cabs I should place it on top of.
    I want everyone's opinion on this because I have amp heads and rack effects on all 5 of my cabs, so it will be a bit of a PITA to move it around to each cab. If I could get a good idea of a starting point, that would be awesome and much appreciated.
    Anyways, I have a mesa oversized 412 with V30s, 1 marshall 1960a with 4 G12T75s, 1 marshall 1960 cross loaded with 2 G12T75s and 2 Warehouse veteran 30s, 1 EVH 412 with 4 celestion greenbacks and finally a carvin 412 with 4 carvin GT12s (supposedly their take on a V30...).
    Whichever cab I use, I will have to take the current amp off of it. Currently I have a mesa tremoverb on the mesa cab, a marshall SLX on the normal 1960, a 6505+ on the cross loaded 1960, a framus cobra in the EVH and a Fryette Pitbull 50cl on the carvin.
    How would you guys move these around if you were to swap the marshall SLX for the Diezel Herbert?
    Thanks for everyone's help.

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

You already own all the cabs?

Put the time in and try them all.

FILTHnFEAR, Ribboz, Korneo and 3 others like this.
  3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Try them all. It's worth the time to tinker for the sake of tone :yesway:

That said, I saw Beartooth a few years ago and one of their guitarists was playing a Herbert through a Mesa OS 4x12 and his sound was absolutely killer. Maybe start there?

4. submergedindirt

Thanks guys. Yes I own them, but I guess the tricky part about it is that I have the cabs matched to their current amps pretty well, so I almost hate to move them around unless one of those cabs is known to work exceptionally well with the herbert. So really I guess a starting point in the rotation would be good enough for me.

5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

You should try it with an Ampete 88S

6. submergedindirt

I've considered something like that, but man, the price of that thing seems unjustified for what seems like a simple patch bay type setup.

7. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Just unplug each head and move the herbert. You dont even have to lift the cabs.

8. TheWarAgainstTime

Start stacking amps vertically. It looks badass, puts all of your cable runs in a more concise layout, and gives you an excuse to collect more amps :metal:

[​IMG]

9. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

You've only really got room for one more amp though. Only 7 amps? What is this, victorian ages?

Elric, StevenC and cult like this.
  10. TheWarAgainstTime

:lol: :rofl:

Nah, I can fit one more on top of the Bogner, and probably two more on top of the road case since the room has a vaulted ceiling. Still not double digits, but I can invade other parts of the house with gear if it comes to that :D

11. submergedindirt

I started with TWAT's advice earlier and moved the Herbert to the Mesa cab, then put the Tremoverb on the 1960 with 4 T75s. I've ran a normal Dual Rectifier through that setup and it was still pretty mean sounding so I should be able to make it work with the Tremoverb. Of course, the Herbert kills through the Mesa Oversized cab. I think in the long run I'll be picking up some sort of speaker switching device.
    ...I've gotta ask, how do your Pitbulls sound through your Mesa? I haven't tried that myself (the 2 components are across the room from each other).

12. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yea, and do you have any Fanes in the Mesa cab? Because I've been sort of debating about it for my Pittbull (getting the actual vht cab) but don't have a ton of space.

13. TheWarAgainstTime

My Mesa cabs are my absolute favorite for any amp I've owned, including the Pittbull heads. They're the Traditional model, so a bit smaller than the Recto/OS and with less extreme low end. I also have a pair of VHT Fatbottom 4x12 cabs with the P50E speakers, but I don't use them much since I really only like the VHT amps through them. Go figure :lol: I'll usually just roll one in front of the Mesa cab when I'm in the mood for that sound. I've never tried the Fane-loaded version to compare, though.

The Mesa cabs put out a bit more total low end than the Fatbottom, a lot more mids, and are a bit rolled off on the extreme top end. The P50E is pretty neutral in EQ overall, great clarity, super tight and punchy low end, and the front-loaded construction makes the sound super focused, like a laser beam coming from the cab. I would probably like my other amps through the FB more if I took the time to really dial them in to work with the different characteristics of each cab, but I've never bothered since the Mesa cabs always get me to "my" sound anyway. I'm really accustomed to that spitty/gnarly/grainy upper midrange thing that V30's have, but the P50E is very "clean" sounding by comparison, if that makes sense.

D-EJ915 and narad like this.