Which budget mic?

thedonutman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I need an all round mic for recording vocals, for the our singer to use at practise and for occasionally micing amps:

I don't really want to get something expensive like a SM57/58 or something around that price.

Here are some I've come up with after a quick search:
Behringer ULTRAVOICE XM8500 | Dolphin Music
Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 (really, really cheap, a copy of the SM58?)

Sennheiser E815s x | Dolphin Music
Sennheiser E815s x (I assume it might be good since I like their headphones, brand name whoring, I know)

Shure PG58 - QTR | Dolphin Music

Shure PG58/57 - Asian made copies of the SM58/57s?, again, brand name whoring for a ignorant guy like me.

Anyone else got any recommendations? I'd say I have a budget of around £40 max.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Behringers are 58 clones, and better ones than the Shure PGs, IMO.

D

Desecrated

Just for the recording studio or something that you will take with you to play live as well ?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
I live by sennheisers for vocals, especially live. I asked my buddy about those ones once, and while he was disgusted with me buying something 800 dollars, he said it would definately get the job done as well as anything in that price range. My vote goes to those. stay away from the pg58's and pg58/57s

thedonutman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just for the recording studio or something that you will take with you to play live as well ?

I'd prefer something that will be reasonable at everything, ie live vocals(mainly band practise actually), recording vocals/random noises and reasonably good at micing amps.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I live by sennheisers for vocals, especially live. I asked my buddy about those ones once, and while he was disgusted with me buying something 800 dollars, he said it would definately get the job done as well as anything in that price range. My vote goes to those. stay away from the pg58's and pg58/57s

Those are pretty decent - I've used them for live vocals a couple of times - especially for the money...

D

Desecrated

I'd prefer something that will be reasonable at everything, ie live vocals(mainly band practise actually), recording vocals/random noises and reasonably good at micing amps.

As the dick I am, I have to say that you preferable need 3 different mics then, and a good choice is to look into the behringer mics, since you will get 3 mics from them at the same price as a rode :)

But if you insist on going with a all in one mic, I think I have to vote for either the sennheiser or buying the behringer for live and one oktava MK 319 for homerecording. Or a behringer b1.

thedonutman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As the dick I am, I have to say that you preferable need 3 different mics then, and a good choice is to look into the behringer mics, since you will get 3 mics from them at the same price as a rode :)

But if you insist on going with a all in one mic, I think I have to vote for either the sennheiser or buying the behringer for live and one oktava MK 319 for homerecording. Or a behringer b1.

I actually have a Behringer B2 lying around somewhere (its my Dad's), but he uses it with this field recorder thing that has phantom power. But I can't really make use of it since I don't have an interface that will provide phantom power.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you think a Shure SM57/58 is an "expensive" mic, then you REALLY need to go mic shopping.

Every band and/or studio should have at least one SM57 and/or 58. They're essentially the same mic, but the 58 has the wire "screen" on it. The SM57 is the industry standard for micing guitars, and they're pretty reasonably priced. The SM57 is a workhorse. You can't go wrong with having one.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:agreed:, and you can get by with a 58 on most things - guitar, bass, drums, vox...

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, the SM57/58 are "budget" microphones when you consider how much use you can get out of them and how long they last. They're pretty much indestructible.

With cheaper mics, you may save on the initial outlay, but you'll spend more time getting decent tones out of them, and they'll probably break much sooner, especially if you plan to use them live.

Demeyes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd say to go for a 57 or 58.
They really are cheap enough. You'll have them for ages and can use them for everything. They are a great investment. Everyone one in my band has at least one each.
I've gone down the really cheap route before and now the ones that still work just lie in the bottom of a bag somewhere. They sound bad and break easily. Its not worth wasting your time on. You'll probably end up buying a decent mic in the future so I'd save the hassle and get one now.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Best advise is to get a Shure SM 58. If it's too expensive for you, then you need to reconsider your recording strategy.

As for a studio mic, you are going to have to spend over $100 to get anything live-able. I would say that AKG C3000 is a good studio starter. But they cost well over $200, unless you can find a very good deal on a used one.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Dont EVER consider anything with beringher on it
itl work for a year then break and never work again.
u checked out RED5 on teh bay? i got a amazingly good condenser for £50 including stand 20ft XLR bump holder thing and pop screen and its awesome! such good quality.
Not sure if they do dnamics tho
worth finding out

D

Desecrated

Dont EVER consider anything with beringher on it
itl work for a year then break and never work again.
u checked out RED5 on teh bay? i got a amazingly good condenser for £50 including stand 20ft XLR bump holder thing and pop screen and its awesome! such good quality.
Not sure if they do dnamics tho
worth finding out

I have behringer gear that's about 3 years old, not only do they still work, they are working very nice.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
If you think a Shure SM57/58 is an "expensive" mic, then you REALLY need to go mic shopping

The man speaks the truth; an SM58 is pretty much the bottom rung on the ladder of mics worth spending money on, in my opinion

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
I have behringer gear that's about 3 years old, not only do they still work, they are working very nice.

hmm 2 mixers and 3 mics iv lost thanks to that logo
guess im not that lucky with em
altho alot of ppl i know agree with me

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
hmm 2 mixers and 3 mics iv lost thanks to that logo
guess im not that lucky with em
altho alot of ppl i know agree with me

My Behringer monitors are about 3 1/2 - 4 years old and they're still going strong, and my dad's had a Behringer compressor for as long as I can remember and he's never had any problems with it. I guess Behringer stuff is just inconsistent, more than anything

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Bob (The Dark Wolf) actually swears by those Behringers. He says he prefers themto the Shure they're based on, I believe.

Everyone who's posted here has raised a good point, in that a SM57 or 58 is really a budget mic in the bigger picture, both because compared to anything else "pro" quality they're cheap (a SM57 is sort of "the" guitar cab mic - if you were to swing for a similarly "industry standard" vocal mic, you'd probably be out thousands), and because they're damned near indestructable. I've heard anecdotal evidence that you can use them to drive in nails and they'll suffer only cosmetic damage, but to be fair I've never tried this.

Considering the Behringer mic is going to cost you $30 or so, and a SM58 would be n the $80 ballpark, it's tough to justify. Ninja-ing into your profile to check your age, if you just need something REALLY cheap for live reinforcement/learning to record while you're finishing up school and on a tight budget, then the Behringer is probably fine - I used first one of those old whammy bar looking computer mics, and then a Radio Shack (budget US electronics chain)$30 SM58 clone for years while I was just learning how to record. However, if oyu want a mic you'll still be using heavily in 10 years, go for the Shure if you can swing it without undue hardship.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
I've heard anecdotal evidence that you can use them to drive in nails

I can drive in nails, both acrylic and natural. I just have to be careful not to catch them on the stick when I change gear :stitch: