Which BKP's for Uncle Ben's FF 8 string?!?!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by HumanFuseBen, Jul 8, 2019.

1. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

Hey kids!!!! Uncle Ben here. I’ve got a question for you all.... let’s say you were having a 26-28 inch scale H-H 8 string being built; let’s say it had a swamp ash body, rosewood board, and ovangkol/wenge/maple neck. Let’s also imagine you hated ultra hot pickups (Invader, X2N), loved Meshuggah’s Koloss tone, and wanted great splits for slappy clean stuff. What BKP set would you choose, and why??? Thanks for the help! I’m a babe in the woods when it comes to 8 strings, I need all the opinions I can get!

2. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

I haven’t played the 8 string model, but own the 6 string model. Vastly different tunings, I know. The juggernaut can pull off fantastic cleans, splits pretty damn good for single coil stuff and can definitely “Djent” for that Meshuggah tone. They are definitely not super hot and react well to your picking dynamics.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

Yeah juggs would work. I had them in a swamp ash bodied 8 string with an ebony top/wenge neck and they worked well for the kinds of things you want to do. The better option is just to get some lundgren M8s though. If you want meshuggah's tone then those pickups will get you like 90% of the way there :lol: They don't have that great of split sounds though. Plus their cleans are pretty meh.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Sdrizis89 likes this.
  4. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

I really love both the Ionizer and D Activator. Neither feels like a super hot pickup, both have good clean and split tones.

coffeeflush likes this.
  5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

If you're sticking to just Bare Knuckle offerings, the Impulse set is quite nice

6. KnightBrolaire

they don't make 8 string impulses though

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Hey, uncle ben, I follow your channel and it's great, cheers!

I'm waiting for the same kind of guitar, same specs and similar tone preference. I'm between the jugg set or black dog/cold sweat combo. Some people also recommend some guitarmory here. Your mama would probably like the foxbats

8. KnightBrolaire

If you want a really versatile setup then I'd go foxbats. Juggs are better if you're focusing moreso on djenty tones and you like really picking hard to change the dynamics.

chopeth likes this.
  9. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Oops, forgot about that :lol:

I feel like the Guitarmory Polaris set does the same dynamics thing but isn't quacky. I ditched the Juggernaut set because of that. And the response for the lowest string is also better. It was fairly flubby with the Juggernaut set. I had both sets in mahogany when I tested them though, not swamp ash.

Foxbat wouldn't be a bad choice though. I'd go for the ceramic version for an 8-string probably. The alnico 5 set was a bit too warm for me.

10. KnightBrolaire

I went alnico for the foxbat 8s I had specifically because the swamp ash 8 needed to be warmed up, not brightened

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Which BKP sounds closest to the Lundgren M8?

12. KnightBrolaire

none of them that I've tried. I've yet to hear a pickup besides the agile cepheus that does a good job of aping that sound.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  13. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Still undecided, have 4 months yet. I think I'm going to follow your advice for the foxbats alnico as my axe will also be swamp ash and my amps are metal machines themselves, a 5153 and an Ironball.