Which beginner 7 string to choose?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by VitoV, Apr 7, 2017.

Which beginner 7 string to choose?

1. LTD H-207

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. LTD SC-207

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Schecter Omen 7 Extreme

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. Jackson JS22-7

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  5. Jackson JS32-7

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  6. Other

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VitoV

VitoV SS.org Regular

Hi, boys and girls, need your advise:
    I've decided to please myself for a year of good work and to buy a first 7 string 🙂 I don't want to get a very expensive as I want also to go for a vacation after.
    After reading and choosing I got stuck with this one's:
    1. LTD H-207
    2. LTD SC-207
    3. Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
    4. Jackson JS22-7

Which one is better to choose? To play alaround styles.
    I also considered JS32-7, but I read that the difference between it and 22-7 is not so vast as price difference. Is it really so?
    Or maybe I should go with SGR C-7 or Damien 7 (but I'm not sure about it's quality)?

P.s., do not propose Ibanez, as the one I like I don't want to spend so much and the one I can - I didn't like.
    Agile is difficult to find in Ukraine and I don't want to get into delivery issues.

Thanks 🙂🤘

2. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I have the omen extreme, it is actually my first (and only) 7 string!

I really like it, feels pretty sturdy but not too heavy. A few people who have tried it hate the neck profile, I personally don't mind it. I'd recommend giving one a shot. The 26.5 scale is nice too if you plan on tuning low.

3. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

My vote goes to the JS series Jackson's for sure. They're built well for their price point, the 26.5" scale length is IMO perfect for 7's, and they make fantastic mod platforms.

4. VitoV

VitoV SS.org Regular

Yeah, I've read about their modding possibilities. And they look quite impressive (especially, JS32 in Natural color - which is stunning).

5. VitoV

VitoV SS.org Regular

Thanks for sharing experience. I have a B.C. Rich Mockingbird and it doesn't have thin neck. So, I guess there will be no problem with the Schecter. And in red color it looks very lovely :)

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've never been particularly impressed with any sub-300 level Ltd stuff. I've never played a bad Schecter though.

7. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

The Jackson is my vote - my only gripe with their line these days is that the floyds they use on the JS line are terrible, but hey, you can replace them pretty easily if you want to, and the fixed bridge versions (Which is all of the 7 strings) are pretty hard to beat for the price - 26.5" scale length, compound radius graphite reinforced necks?

Gonna be honest, on spec alone the jackson ....s on the rest.

8. Bforber

Bforber SS.org Regular

I've had a LTD H-207 for... ever? I wanna say around 15 years or so.

It's a great guitar. Admittedly, I've changed the pickups from the Duncan Designed they came with, but all these years later I still pick it up and play it regularly.

I will say if you're planning on downtuning a lot, just ignore my post and go for something with the 26.5" scale. I keep mine in standard or drop A at the lowest.

Also, cockstock.

9. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

An old Korean H-207 will be the best built when it was new, but you should take into account whether or not you want a new guitar or one that's seen some use and has dings or potentially functional damage

Out of the models you listed available new I'd go with the JS-227 if you want baritone scale length or SC-207 if you want the nicest neck joint, because the Schecters and Jacksons have square neck heels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. randomas

randomas SS.org Regular

Agile from rondo music ...

11. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I've played nearly all of these guitars and personally I think the Schecter Omen Extreme 7 was the highest quality instrument.

12. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh

The Jackson JS22-7 is incredible for the price. You can't go wrong.

13. VitoV

VitoV SS.org Regular

Thanks everybody for opinions and ideas. This thread shows the things in my head: we have pros and con for every guitar :)
    The poll is near to my intentions: now I follow some lots (with ineresting prices) and will decide on the moment when I'll receive my bonus :)
    If nothing extraordinary happens, I will go with JS32 or Schecter Extreme (because of their conditions and good price discounts). Others goes in a worse conditions than 2 abovementioned or already got sold. When I'll buy I'll upload photos :)
    However I'll be glad for a new opinions here :)

14. VitoV

VitoV SS.org Regular

Yeah, Agile is a good variant with a reasonable price. However, there is too many actions are necessary to deliver them to Ukraine :(

15. randomas

randomas SS.org Regular

Yes that is a problem, I only got mine in Italy cause my brother lives in the US. You can check out Thomann.de carry the same guitars (from same factories) under the Thomann brand.

16. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Agile from RondoMusic to anyone in the US or nearby reading this thread wondering for themselves.

For you, Ukranian op, I would say the Schecter. I have the Damien Elite (actives and abalone inlays). It's very nice and the only reason I'm getting rid of mine is because it's a 6-string and I've switched to 7s.

17. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Having never owned any of those, but having played at least 3-4 models of each at the showroom, you can take my advice with a grain of salt:

But that low price Jackson, to me, is the best bang for the buck. QC seems to be pretty consistent, and the basic features are all good. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with any of those choices, but that'd be my suggestion.

Concerning Agile, those are rather nice guitars for the money, but they do tend to be a little on the heavy side, in terms of weight, and although every Agile I've played has been great, there are some stories floating around about QC issues sometimes. Here in the USA, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another instrument from Rondo, but internationally, it seems like it'd just be enough of a hassle for me to weigh other options. :2c:

19. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

Try to find a Schecter Banshee. I got mine brand new for $450. It was a Banshee 7A TBB actually. Sweet guitar for the money I paid for it.

20. VitoV

VitoV SS.org Regular

Cool. I will try to search one. Thanks:yesway: