Which bands use the lowest tunings?

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Within the Ruins - C right above a five string bass B and is actually pretty tight the way they've dialed everything. (Warning: Noise gate overload + video game top strings)
(instrumental playthrough)

Had a guitar I used to keep in this tuning and it's pretty wild to mess with.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
^ That "bomb tuning" makes me think it's the Pentagram/Sylosis style where the lowest string is actually dropped another full 5th below the 5th string. So in B, they'd be using an F# as they're lowest but it still sounds muddier than that.
Originally, it was a broken string that just sounded rad. After some experimenting with gauges, they arrived at having two 70s for the slack string and the low A (the 'bomb string' tuning is *AADGB). Steve still uses the tuning often, even on the last Torche album.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Within the Ruins - C right above a five string bass B and is actually pretty tight the way they've dialed everything. (Warning: Noise gate overload + video game top strings)
(instrumental playthrough)

Had a guitar I used to keep in this tuning and it's pretty wild to mess with.

Oh man, that one hurt a bit. I don't know whether it's the guitar tone or just how low it is but it just sounds so off to me. It sounds like someone took a frog ribbit and somehow turned it into their guitar sound. I like low-tuned chunky stuff as much as the next guy, but this one missed me.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Oh man, that one hurt a bit. I don't know whether it's the guitar tone or just how low it is but it just sounds so off to me. It sounds like someone took a frog ribbit and somehow turned it into their guitar sound. I like low-tuned chunky stuff as much as the next guy, but this one missed me.
Active pickups can get really weird and spikey in the midrange when you tune that low. The looser the strings, the worse it gets. It doesn't bother some people but it drives other people (like me) up the wall.