Which amps are the best for metal for 1000€?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Juan_sa, Apr 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Juan_sa

Juan_sa SS.org Regular

Hello,

My Randall RG100 broke a week ago and I need a new amp. I'm interested in a 50 watt (more or less) tube amp for technical / prog death metal (I will use them with an OD before the input. My main options are:
    - ENGL Fireball 60
    - Randall Diavlo 45
    - Randall Thrasher 50
    - EVH 5150 (50 watts)

I'm not interested in second hand amps and I already know that the 5150 sounds good but I want to hear your opinion about the other amps. I can't try them without traveling for at least 3 hours so it's really difficult for me to do it.

Suggest me other amps for that price that could sound good for what I want.

Thanks!

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Thrasher or 5153.

The 5153 is a tighter, smoother 5150 sound, so it'll work perfectly for what you want.

The Thrasher is very unique sounding. It's a dry sound that has tons of cut and bite. And you won't even need the OD pedal since the input gain stages can be tailored to tighten your sound. It'll also work really well.

Just depends on if you want the established sound of the 5153 you KNOW will work, or a unique sound like the Thrasher.

I think if you're getting the Thrasher, you won't want the Diavlo. The Thrasher is the Diavlo on steroids. The Fireball 60 is a no go, due to problems with it cutting through the mix.

3. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Go for the 5153, mate, I'm at the same place as you and it rips! btw, where are you in Spain?, you might come over and try mine.

4. Juan_sa

Juan_sa SS.org Regular

I live in a small town in Huesca, too far from where you live. I will probably go to Barcelona to try some of this amps but I'm 80% sure I'm going to buy the 5153 unless one of the others surprises me or Randall release a 50 watt Satan.

5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I actually live in Castilla La Mancha at the moment, but still 500km from you so yes, you better go to Barcelona. Good luck and hope to see your NGD around soon. :metal:

6. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Peavey 6505 perhaps?

7. Juan_sa

Juan_sa SS.org Regular

How does it sound compared to the EVH? They are more or less the same price.

8. Stooly

Stooly SS.org Regular

I'd get the EVH. But I've never thought it needed a boost out front. I play mainly on the blue channel because it is so friggin tight. I did put higher gain tubes in the blue channel gain stages and I run it dimed on the gain. Red channel I put a lower gain tubes in the gain stages to tame it and tighten it up a bit, gain about 1/2. But, for me the blue channel is it since it tracks so fast for fast picking.

9. Juan_sa

Juan_sa SS.org Regular

Anyone has tried the Randall Thrasher?

10. xero7

xero7 SS.org Regular

How is the thrasher a Diavlo on steroids? I ve owned both and the Diavlo blows the thrasher away by miles. Thrasher doesn't have nearly as much gain as you would think either. Anyway to the op the 45 watt Diavlo doesn't have the blue channel off the 100 watter I believe. Should have plenty of gain boosted though and the built in boost is ts like. The evh doesn't quite sound like the peavey version. Just played one the other day it sounds really good not as hairy sounding as the peavey. No boost needed for the red channel either. I was impressed by it for sure. I would buy one for sure.

11. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I've owned 6505+ and a Diavlo 45.

I will strongly suggest going with the 5153 over the Diavlo. I liked the Diavlo, but it wasn't very gainy. It was VERY dry sounding. Quad tracked for recording I'm sure it'd be more than saturated enough, but it really doesn't compete with the 5153 or it's peavey cousins. If it had a resonance knob and 25% more usable gain, it'd crap all over pretty much anything, but alas we don't live in a perfect world.

12. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I'm gonna vote for a used 5150/6505