Which Amp sims has the best 5150 sound?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vejichan, Nov 28, 2019.

Which Amp sim has the best 5150 Sound??

1. Neural DSP Nolly

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. STL Andy James

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. TSE X50

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

I am after that original 5150 block letter peavey sound. Which amp sim is the closest?

2. atoragon

atoragon SS.org Regular

in my opinion peavey revalver, it's the closest to the sound of the first model.

USMarine75 and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  3. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Nolly, but TSEX50 is really good and much cheaper, if you're on a budget

STL isn't so good IMO. I tried the Will Putney suite and the 5150 doesn't really sound like a 5150.

4. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

STL Will Putney does nicely, but I think the Nolly based on his own personally modded 5150 takes it to another level.

5. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

Neural Nolly hands down

6. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Is molly much better at the 5150 sound than tse x50?

7. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I’m loving the Toontracks EZMix Mark Lewis pack, that has a preset called ‘Iron 6550 Rhythm’. I’m 99% sure it’s a 6505 amp, and it’s so bloody impressive. I’d never need to record my 6505 with this preset ready to go.

8. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

It's better in terms of feel IMO. The Nolly has that low end chunk of the original 5150.

But with double tracked guitars, post-processing etc, you'd never be able to tell the difference in the final result.

The Nolly has 4 cabs and several mics which you can tweak. Nolly did the IRs, so they're good

TSE includes a bunch of commercial impulse responses. Some are great. Some not so great.

In terms of value for money, TSE is better IMO. It's also a complete suite with a TS808, noise gate, amp, cabs, effects/EQ. But in terms of versatility, Nolly is best. If you could only have one, and don't mind paying more, get the Nolly.

9. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

I'd get the Nolly if you can afford it. Better feel for sure. The TSE is great too although it sounds a little more cloudy. Too many mids in the 800hz range, but it's still really good, especially for the price.

10. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

I'm also going to say the Nolly. The other heads, effects, and cabs included in the Nolly are great as well.

11. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I have the Will Putney STL, and the 5150 there is top shelf too, but, the Nolly is based on his own personal 5150 that he himself has modded quite particularly, and if you want that 5150, then definitely get the Nolly. If you don't want his 5150, then the Will Putney owns quite well. I went with the Will Putney largely because the Bogner Uberschall and the Diezel VH4 amp models have been my "go to" for a decade & a half.

12. allheavymusic

allheavymusic Well-Known Member

My favorite amp sim is the insanely underrated Kazrog Thermionik. It has 3 5150 models and IMO they sound awesome. Disclaimer: I've never owned a 5150, but I did grow up listening to metalcore, so the 5150 sound is pretty ingrained in my brain.

Unfortunately you can't buy Thermionik right now. Shane took it off the market while he works on the sequel. But when it drops I'm going to instantly upgrade.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I always throw love at the TSEX50. It is just really good at doing what it says right out of the box.

Not knocking any of the others as I have no experience with them. But I do own a Helix and Kemper and if you just want to drop minimal cash for practice and scratch tracks? TSE.