Which amp sims and IRs are you using in 2019?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vejichan, Sep 16, 2019.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I do, but still prefer the TH-3 or U

Sollipsist likes this.
  2. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

In my case, it helps save me from hours of obsessive tweaking of any given guitar tone rather than actually laying down tracks :D

I'm not really aware of any other all-in-one packages like EzMix. There's definitely suites that can do guitar better, but the ability to save time mixing and mastering all instruments is what I was really thinking of. But I hear ya about not being able to truly demo the addons.

chopeth likes this.
  3. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

after I've found TSE X50 (the beta version of it) and Catharsis impulses like 6 years ago, they have been my "go-to" for Metal tones. TH3 or POD Farm for everything in the more vintage-y ballpark.
    Also, some Cabs I downloaded in the Fractal forum and a few Redwirez cabs. Ownhammer has a killer Mesa cab impulse too, but I haven't used it in a recording yet, so far it's mostly for practicing

tried the Helix and thought it was nothing that I couldn't achieve with what I have, the Axe FX 2 was better, but I can't justify the price for it for my needs, and will give Neural DSP stuff a try, but the hype off VST after VST is kinda ridiculous sometimes

4. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

if you want good cleans just use the DI you don't need an amp sim

5. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Mercuriall ReAxis & U530 mostly. Neural DSP is amazing too, and I can't really use others than those two anymore. Everytime a new amp modeling plugin drops from other companies I end up being disappointed, because those fit to my needs and what I'm after so well. Impulses? Ownhammer Heavy Hitters I and ML Soundlab Mega Oversize & Boaner is what I've been using lately.

In case of Neural DSP hype is justified in my opinion, they do it really well.

Why not for modern metal djenty type of cleans, but you have to compress it a lot and use reverb and delay also a lot. But for anything else... nah.

6. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

A few of them are actually really nice, I can get back later with more recommendations but off the top of my head the pack with Keith Merrow's tones is fantastic, his ones in particular turned out great

Sollipsist likes this.
  7. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

I think that's Guitar Gods 3. That one and the Modern Metal pack are the ones I'm seriously considering. Toontrack seems to have good sales pretty frequently, so I figure I can procrastinate/ make myself wait a little longer.

8. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

I'm using Line 6 Helix, Neural DSP Nolly, and Mercurial Reaxis. I use the stock cabs for the Nolly and Reaxis most of the time but I use Ownhammer and MLSoundlab IRs for Helix. Mostly the Ownhammer RECTO V70 or he Mesa 412 in the Justin York Collection (Don't think they sell this one anymore). For MLSoundlab, I use the Zilla 412 V30 and the Recto 412 with V70s.

9. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Helix covers all my guitar stuff. I tried Plini but didn't love it. I haven't tried Nolly yet but I want to. I threw together a 5150 patch on the Helix pretty quickly while going through the Nolly demo videos and found I got most of the way to that sound. With a bit more EQ tweaking I think it'll be pretty much just as good. I think I prefer my current lead patches with the Friedman sim as well. I prefer not to overload my shitty macbook's CPU anyway, so that works out for me. Ownhammer IRs for guitar.

For bass I'm using Parallax and calling it a day pretty much.

10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I'm torn right now, as I absolutely love the Nolly, but I really dig the STL Will Putney too, mainly for the Bogner Ubershall & Diesel VH4 models which have been my go to amps in the POD for over a decade. My Nolly demo just expired yesterday, and I'm still playing with the Plini, but overall, I think the Plini excels at cleans but isn't geared toward the high gain application as the Nolly is perfectly suited for. Perhaps I'll break down & use both the Nolly and the Will Putney and I am set as far as all plugin applications go. I did download the Emmisary plugin to mess around with, but that was just last night so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. As I understand it, it's just the amp, with the Will Putney & the Nolly are full packages, both of which have really nice delays and reverbs.
    My only beef with any of this is the lack of Mod effects. Short of that, I can set up a bank of those in my HD500X & hit that before the interface and I'm good to go.

11. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

Finally got around to trying the TH-U, and TBH I have mixed feelings. The Dual Rec and Soldano sims sound pretty killer, but everything else is a bit underwhelming. The Engl sim has absurd amounts of fizz that are impossible to dial out, and why does the Mark II sim not have the GEQ? Am I missing it or does it really not have one? The impulses are a bit weak but probably above average based on my experience. The UI is also not fantastic, I see what they're going for but it's just awkward to me.

12. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

The mark II eq is in pedal form in TH-U, just place it in between the amp head and speaker cabinet. If you hover the mouse over each item on the right side of the program window, a text will pop up showing you what each item is modelled after... Or else it says in the manual

13. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

I’m currently using the Mikko plugin and the York Audio Bi polar cab pack.

14. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

I have the Slate version and I'm not seeing it. Just a Boss EQ and a Overloud proprietary one.

15. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

Ah i see, i hadn't thought about it possibly being excluded on non-full versions. kinda odd that it's not there being that the mark II itself is.

16. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

As for amp sims, I try some off & on but always end up using either my Pod X3 or GSP1101 or handful of pre-amp pedals I have kicking around (Megalith Delta, Sansamp GT2 & MXR 5150).

As for irs, I generally stick to the Guitar Hacks cabs but I also have some 3Sigma and Ownhammer cabs as well. Recently though, I bought the STL Libra and I have to say it's one of the single best programs I've bought. Mix & match up to 8 single irs at once and then you can save the final mix as a wav file that you can load up into either other loader programs or even a hardware based loader like the Helix or Mooer Radar. For all of the amp sims that are difficult to find just the right cab for, this is the perfect solution to take all of the ones that are 'close' and make one really good one out of them.

17. 7ibby001

7ibby001 SS.org Regular

I've been using a mixture of BIAS AMP 2, Helix Native, and NDSP Plini. I almost exclusively use David Maxim Micic's Little Cubes IRs, they're ch0nky af and super versatile. But I have OwnHammer and 3Sigma IRs that I'll use occasionally.

18. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

I'm using Amplitube 4 at the moment.

19. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

Anyone tried Chop Tones IR's? I see that most people recommend Ownhammer Heavy Hitters but I'm always afraid that I'll spend $50 on IR's and they won't sound as great as described or they won't just fit in my needs. And that goes to any 3rd party IR

20. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I just got the full Amplitube suite, Hendrix, Slash and whatever other shredder dujour pack they have, but haven't really spent that much time with it, I usually run my presets from Amplitube 2 that I created long time ago, bypass their cabs and run Zombie Cabs and Kalthallen:

https://zombiecabs.com/

https://cabs.kalthallen.de/

I usually load the in NadIR but also might load them in Ampire or Recabinet if I am using another amp sim, like Studio One's built in Ampire amps or Kazrog's Thermionik.