Which amp sims and IRs are you using in 2019?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vejichan, Sep 16, 2019.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

I have been using mercurial reaxis and overloud th-u with own hammer heavy hitters 1.
    I sold my axefx II XL because it wasnt getting much use.

2. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Neural DSP's Archetype Plini and Parallax at the moment. I also have EZMix 2 with some expansion packs but I don't really use them much for amps, and my ol' POD HD500 is still on standby.

That's about it really. Nothing fancy on this front.

3. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Hows plini archetype? I know the cleans are great but hows the hi gain tones?

4. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

I liked them when I had the trial. The quality is top notch for sure but I prefer the Nolly one since it has more options.

5. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Still enjoying the Ownhammer impulses - usually the Mesa and ENGL cabinets, since those are my favourites in real life

Fortin NTS gets a lot of use. Currently demo'ing the Nolly and will probably buy it for the 5150 emulation. Though, you can get 90% of the sound with any other 5150 model and the same cabinet impulses.

Koloss85 likes this.
  6. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Nameless, Softube Metal Amp Room, Softube Vintage Amp Room, Softube Bass Amp Room, bx_bassdude or whatever its called. for cleans usually a processed DI sounds better than any vst or a cheap solid state amp if you got one mic'd up.

7. fproject

fproject Member

I've been using the Celestion IRs. I have the G12-65, G12T-75, V30, G12-50L & G12M-Creamback.
    They're excellent IMO.

8. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

The Mercuriall ss-11x has been my go-to for a while, with the right IRs that have baked-in power amps it can get in the ballpark of anything I need.

But lately I've been itching for something a bit more flexible, so I've been checking out the Neural and STL trials. I liked but didn't love Nolly, Plini has great leads and cleans, Andy James has some killer rhythm tones. The NTS and Nameless are next on my list to try; the Diavlo is my main amp, so I'm expecting to like anything Fortin.

I didn't end up digging the Reaxis, it sounded a little dull. The U530 has an incredible rhythm tone but it's very much a one-trick pony. And I'm starting to really appreciate plugs with standalone versions, which neither of them have.

9. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Some others not yet mentioned: TH-U is killer! Check out the rig player/packs. It can literally do about anything. The FX are very good as well. Helix Native is extremely good, too and the FX are probably the best of any amp plugin. And Bias FX 2 is solid, too. I have a couple of high gain Marshall setups with that that are just awesome.

IRs usually Ownhammer; some Celestion.

trem licking likes this.
  10. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

I use the Sperimental impulses, specifically the Engl ones. I've checked out a variety of stuff and nothing seems to beat those. I've been using the Thermionik stuff for a while, but they've been not doing it for me for a little while. May check out TH-U here soon. I don't normally use sims since I have my heads right next to my desk, but there are times when a killer sim tone is necessary.

11. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I use ownhammer, red wirez, and ml sound labs. I really like the mesa and bogner from ownhammer.

12. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

I don't have any amp sims, other than the ones that come with Cubase, but I usually run my amps into a loadbox and then into the computer.

I have the Ownhammer Producer Pack, but of late I've been using the ML Sound Labs Mikko plugin for cabinet simulation.

It's pretty nifty, basically a GUI that allows you to position a mic on a virtual cab. Mikko says there are literally hundreds of thousands of IRs in the loader.

13. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Forgot to mention I use Wall of Sound as well from Two Notes especially with preamp pedals since it has the built in power amp simulation.

14. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

TH-U and heavy hitters

15. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

Neural DSP stuff exclusively. Plini, Nolly and Parallax (for bass) mostly. Just bought the Ownhammer Heavy Hitters 1 pack last week and I love it.

Also, Guitar Rig 5 occasionally because I still love it. :lol:

16. Quaker763

Quaker763 SS.org Regular

I mostly use Amplitube 4 for everything, their ENGL model is actually quite nice and can djent pretty hard with a bit of work.

I've used PVInvader with an Orange 4x12 IR in the past, which was super tight.

17. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

TH3 + stock IRs when playing/recording myself, but a variety when mixing for others (ie: TSE X50, POD Farm, etc)

not just TH3 though, have a pretty specific chain I tend towards which involves the POD Farm American Preamp right shortly after the amp/cab which tends to liven the tone up a ton

kamello likes this.
  18. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Analog IR's (analog passive reactive load with analog speaker/cab emulation circuitry) No, I'm not trying to be a smartass.

19. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

Is anybody using the EzMix 2 amp sims? I'm curious whether they're a viable alternative. The handful of metal sounds in the trial version are just OK, but some of the metal amp addon packs sound tempting. If the sound quality is competitive, I can live with a lack of tweaking in exchange for a streamlined overall workflow.

20. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

In principle, I'm against any of those packages where they don't provide a full demo and where they will sting you for additional add-ons.

I also don't know what it gives you in terms of work-flow that any other all-in-one suite doesn't.

TSE-X50 has enough for a solid rhythm and metal tone.

STL Will Putney can do clean, rhythm, lead (and bass). It has awesome presets and it sounds very processed already (i.e. not really like a real amp, but rather, an album guitar tone)

NeuralDSP Archetype Nolly too. It also has presets developed by Nolly, and it has great effects. You could absolutely use it for all metal album guitar tones without any other plugins required

Mercuriall stuff also if you like the boogie or marshall vibe