Which 7 string guitar to keep

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Matx, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Matx

Matx Ninja

So, I've come across a few deals that I can't pass up, but I can't rationalize keeping both, so I need to figure out which 7 string to keep.

1) 1999 Ibanez RG7420 with trem blocked off (making it hardtail)
    -It's got Duncan Blackout Phase I's loaded (which took some routing in the body to do, and I don't want to do that to the other. I like them for playing stuff like unearth, but they're definitely not the most versatile pickups. (just a tiny bit too hot for me)
    -It was an earlier production 7420 that used the 1 piece maple 7620 neck that is ever so slightly preferable to most- I can't tell much of a difference.
    -I have a feeling that I could fetch a nicer price for this one on eBay

2) 2000 Ibanez RG7421
    -Stock V7-7 and V8-7 pickups (which are beautiful clean, but a bit lacking in punch for metal. Pickup swap wouldn't be a big deal if I sold the other one, I could have my pick of the litter on used pickups.
    -I never use the trem on the other guitar anyway
    -I can't quite set up the action as low as I want.. it will take some tweeking.

What do you guys think?

2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I would keep the 7420, it seems like it's the one you're most invested in. The other one is still stock it seems, so if I were you I would sell the 7421. There's a lot of people providing soapbar pickup options so I say do a pickup swap on the 7420.

3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Sounds like you're not that in to either one. But if you're going to keep one, keep the one that plays better in your opinion, which sounds like the 7420.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'd keep the 7421. You never use the trem, you could probably get a little more for the 7420 used, and you're not wild about the Blackouts so it's a good opportunity to get rid of that guitar and find a good set of passives for the 7421. The setup will take some tweaking to get right, but learning how to set up a guitar well is worth doing anyway. So, spend some time really dialing that one in, and when you've got it right, sell the 7420.

5. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

If you're not into the blackouts and feel you can get a better price, then sell that one and keep the 7421. That will be enough to pay for pickups you really want and then more. Setting up a guitar shouldnt be a reason to sell it, because once you get it right, you'll be happy with it.

6. Frostod

Frostod SS.org Regular

Definitely the 7420 imho. Played one with the 7620 neck too and it was awesome even with the stock PUs.
    The 7420 has better PUs, better neck and you would have to tweak too much on the 7421 so actually a nobrainer

7. Vhyle

Vhyle Jackson Shill

You sound like me in the context of trems. I never use them, and I prefer not to have them. I would sell the 7420, since you seem fairly unsatisfied with it. Use the cash to swap the pups on the 7421, and whatever else you want to do.

I love simplicity, and I'm assuming you do too. That's why I would keep the 7421 - it's just a basic, solid workhorse of the Ibby 7-string world. I love my 7321 (as we all know as the predecessor of the 7421), and it has everything I could ever need in terms of playability. The stock pups aren't bad, but I'm not in a hurry to swap them out.

8. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

Sell both and buy something that really suits you!

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

+1

10. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

This. Sounds like you don't really like either.

11. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

This. Do this.

12. Zerox8610

Zerox8610 SS.org Regular

Keep the one in the best condition over all. They're both on about the same level and you can swap out the mods you've done from one to the other if need be.