Which 7-string for metal recording?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Tulzcha, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Tulzcha

Tulzcha SS.org Regular

Hello guys,

I am starting this topic because I am a bit lost. I want to buy a new guitar and I would like a 7-string. I mainly use my guitar for black metal recording (if you want to have an idea
    --> )
    I am currently using a Cort G 290 (2003 model) with EMG 89 humbecker. I would like to upgrade my guitar to a next level of sound, I really would like to hear the difference in term of sound. I record myself with a Pod HD Desktop. I also have a Scarlett with Amplitube but with my Cort, I can't have a good sound on it (at least not as good as my Pod HD).
    My budget is 1000 - 1500€

So today I went to a metal guitar shop retailer in Paris and the guy advised me to grab the Legator NF0D7. I tested it and it was really cool to play with (I did not know this brand) through I noticed the finitions were not so great. But after reading the multiple threads about bad quality of the Legator guitars, I am convinced it would not be mine!

Nevertheless I have also seen that the LTD 1007 or the Schecter Hellraiser c7 were potentially good choices though it was below my budget.

So the French frog is looking for your expert opinions guys!

Best

Tulzcha

2. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

go for a new or used Ibanez prestige!!

Cole Justesen likes this.
  3. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

used ibanez prestige/japan made or a used kiesel/carvin. I wish the admins would just sticky this answer. I swear it gets asked all the time and the answer is always the same.

Bdtunn likes this.
  4. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

In that price range I'd probably check out this one: https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/c-7-multiscale-sls-elite-detail or the C-7 FR SLS Elite or C-7 FR S Apocalypse should you want a floyd. I think in the price range slightly below 1500€, Schecter has some convincing models. The Ibanez Prestige models I'd like are usually above your mentioned budget.

5. I play music

Those cost way more here in Europe than in the US I think so at least used Kiesel still is not a good value for the money here with the prices I have seen them on sales platforms.
    Used Ibanez you can sometimes be lucky and find them for a fair price. Especially ones with model names no one remembers that they existed and therefore no one has search alerts for them :lol:

6. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Schecter KM7 MKIII that I'm conveniently selling

fps likes this.
  7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

ESP and Schecter have tones of models in that price range and below. And they are priced even more attractively used.

Cole Justesen likes this.
  8. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Maybe an Edwards or used Mayones/new Mayones Setius Alpha?

Might fall within range since you're in Europe

9. Cole Justesen

Cole Justesen SS.org Regular

I just got an Ibanez Prestige (RG752) and it is pretty amazing. If you like a thin neck, then it will be a sure fit for you. I also have two E-II Horizon FR-7s that are amazing instruments too, and I can say without any doubt that I like my RG752 as much as I like my Horizons. If you can't find an Ibanez, keep in mind that FGN (Fujigen) makes these guitars for Ibanez. They have their own line that you might get for that price too. Had the Prestige I bought not been available, I would have went for one of the Mythic models from FGN.

Good luck in your choice!

Cole

10. Tulzcha

Tulzcha SS.org Regular

Thank you everybody for your answers!
    So yes I did not mentionned it but I would prefer avoiding 2nd hand, I would like my guitar to be new.

I see that a lot of Ibanez Prestige RG have a Di Marzio mics. I don't know them, are they good? Especially to play and record metal?

More over I have hear that for recording it is better to have a passive than an active guitar. Is that right?

11. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

Dimarzios (even the ones with lower output) are usually great for metal and many records, from Morbid Angel to Behemoth, have been recorded on stock Ibanez 7 strings.
    The active vs passive debate has been going on for decades and to be honest it's simply a matter of taste.
    Can't comment on Schecter these days since I haven't played on in ages but in terms of playability you can't go wrong with Ibanez.

12. Cole Justesen

Cole Justesen SS.org Regular

Did you like the LTD neck profile? If you did, the Ibanez/FGN neck profile will be flatter where the LTD is more round. My Horizon FR-7s are really comfortable without being too thick. I don't think you will score an E-II in your price range (definitely not feasible for that price in the USA for new). The LTD Deluxe line could be a great option for you. Do you know what scale length you want? From my research, Schecter makes 7 strings with a 26.5" scale, whereas ESP/LTD make 25.5" and 27" scales. I personally own 25.5" 7 string guitars after owning two 27" scale models (E-II Horizon NT-7B and Jackson USA B7 DLX). The scale length works better for me both playing wise and sound wise. Ibanez makes 25.5" and 27" scale guitars as well, where FGN only makes 25.5" (from what I have seen).

My Horizons have EMG pickups; one with the 57-7/66-7 set and the other an 85-7X/60-7X. My Ibanez has the Blaze Custom and PAF7 pickups in it. From what I have found, all these sets will do metal. After listening to that video, I am in no way convinced that passive would be better than active, or vice versa. I would encourage you to try a 7 string with passives before committing to a purchase, since you are used to EMGs already. If you go with EMGs, I would recommend the X series for the extra headroom. As far as DiMarzio pickups, they are an excellent company that make excellent pickups. My Jackson B7 had DiMarzio D-Activators in it and they ripped! The PAF7s sounded excellent in my current Ibanez, however I wanted a bit more output and mids that the PAF7 in the bridge wasn't providing. I wanted the same character as the PAF7, which lead me to discover the Blaze bridge. When I found there was a version that had slightly less top end and more mids I was sold! The Blaze Custom is damn good too, easily on par with my EMG loaded guitars.

I hope you find yourself a great guitar! Good luck hunting!

13. Tulzcha

Tulzcha SS.org Regular

Hello guys,

Thank you very much for all your answers. After making some researches, I saw an Ibanez prestige that could fits with my budget and that is sold in the Paris guitar shops:
    Ibanez RG2027 XL Prestige. What do you think about this guitar?

Also what do you think for the same price of the Ormsby Hype GTR6?

Thank you very much!

14. I play music

I love that one!
    Edit: Is that one within the 1500€ you wrote before? I thought they were more expensive, cool if they are not!
    It's missing a string!

15. Tulzcha

Tulzcha SS.org Regular

It is more 1 680€ but if I am ready to go a bit further the 1 500€ to get something really good :)

sorry, I wanted to talk about the GTR 7. I don't know the Ormsby brand

16. Tulzcha

Tulzcha SS.org Regular

Hello guys, I have finally bought an Ormsby Hype GTR7 with the blue birst finish. She is beautiful!
    [​IMG]

Edika, fps, Masoo2 and 4 others like this.
  17. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Nice like that finish and style of that GTR!

HNGD

18. Metal Mortician

Metal Mortician Ninja Lurker

I just picked up a 1999 Ibanez RG7 620 for $250 with case from FB marketplace.

She has some finish cracking from being in a storage unit, but the price was worth it for the lo pro edge alone! 88CCB5E6-EA02-465A-9300-F12A1A1B1EFE.jpeg

Keep an eye out. There are many gems out there for cheap, especially 7s that people don’t know how to play and give up on.

aesthyrian likes this.
  19. KGINDI7

KGINDI7 SS.org Regular

Wow. Thats a steal..

20. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Fixed that for ya.

fps likes this.