Where You Ever About To Give Up On a Piece of Gear, And Then...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Carl Kolchak, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

I have this 7 string Kiesel. It's rock solid build-wise, keeps excellent tune, and has great ergonomics. Unfortunately, it's still flubby sounding as hell even after swapping out the stock pups for some BKPs with a reduced bass response. I kept trying different amp settings, different IRs, but I just couldn't get it to sound good to me. Eventually, I just said, "F this, I'm done", and decided to just sell it. Turns out I was being a bit hasty. Going through my box of pedals the other day I came across an old Boss Power Stack distortion, and figured why not? I plugged it in, and instant sonic satisfaction. Only thing is I got to use a noise gate with it, but otherwise it doesn't sound half bad. Go figure, right? I owe you one Boss.

Deadpool_25, Matt08642 and Edika like this.
  2. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

My Cobra, thankfully this forum set me straight because I love that thing. Noisy ground loop almost made me sell it.

Floyd equipped Ibanez’s, I had a UV777 I couldn’t stand the sound of that really turned me off from the brand. I’ve got them figured out now and I’m keeping my latest RG.

3. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I have a Carvin DC600 with a similar situation. Have had it since, well, they were Carvin, and while it sounds it never set itself apart from my other guitars, most of which are of the <1/5 of the price persuasion. Then one day I brought it to jam with someone who had a Fender amp and it sounded awesome. One would think that a bright guitar (walnut neck-thru, Holdsworth pickup) into a bright amp would be all icepicks but it wasn't: it was so punchy & lively.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

I fucking hated my F100 head for about a week straight. Then I tried some more extreme settings vs what I use on my f30 and I quite like it.

Same thing with my DC600. I could not get the lithiums to sound good and fought it for weeks. I put about 4 sets of pickups into it as a way to try and tame the guitar before settling on the current holy diver/javelin. It sounds and plays great now.

I tried and tried to make the pittbull ul I had work for me, but it was just too dry and boomy for my taste. I fought that damn amp for almost 2 months trying eqs, different IRs, and all kinds of crap. Nothing worked for me.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  5. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

I put a BKP VHII in my DC700, and that helped, but really only sounds good coil-split. That's when I got the bright idea to try a P90 Warpig in it instead. Should know how that sounds in a couple of weeks.

Merrekof and Ribboz like this.
  6. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

P90 Warpig. You have my attention. I did not know that was an option.

Merrekof likes this.
  7. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Isn't a Power Stack kind of close to a JCM 800 sound?

Have you ever considered trying the different kinds of Marshalls?

sirbuh likes this.
  8. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Both my Stratocasters. One is a 1984 MIJ that I got after my uncle died, and the other is a 2013 Squier Bullet Strat I got it a few years ago as a Christmas present and have had a huge love/hate relationship with it.

Even though I say that I swear by Les Pauls, Strats have a special place in my heart and they're actually quite fun to play.

The biggest issue I have with my '84 is playability, and my biggest issue with my Squier is the pickups/sound.

The action on my '84 is higher than what I normally like, and all I need to do to cure it is do a setup that's gonna be a bit of a hassle. Main things I need to are lower action/adjust truss rod and then re-apply the nut because when I put a new nut on after the original cracked and was a pain in the ass to get out, there's a nice gap between where the nut sits now and where it's supposed to sit. On the other hand with my Squier, I don't like single coil bridge pickups and have been wanting to add a humbucker to make it an HSS Strat. Problem is that I end up realizing that it's not a bad guitar and I'm probably gonna regret modding it, which leads me into a never ending cycle of wanting to mod it and then changing my mind.

9. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

Since it's a Bullet, why are you even second guessing the pickup swap? Especially since you know it's a good guitar. Even when there was a quasi-cult following on Squier-Talk back when these were launched at US$120 12 years ago, they were all about swapping out the pickups along with nut, tuners, trem base.

10. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I always try a lighter string set or just a thickest string if it has too much flub, this usually has worked with sevens.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

this. I usually buy 7th and 8th strings as singles in bulk, then add in whatever 6 string set I want for that particular guitar.

Mechayoshi and Metropolis like this.
  12. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I almost gave up on my johnny marr jaguar. I hated the setup on it. It was the first guitar I ordered, and I like really hated the setup. I took it somewhere and they said there was nothing they could do. It was as good as it was going to get....

/me watches some youtube videos on how to do a setup. Plays friggin' great now. It's not my go to guitar by any means, but I don't hate it anymore. It's great for some jangley stuff when I want it.

wakjob and Seabeast2000 like this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

see this is why I push for people to do their own setups and tech work as much as possible.
    1. it doesn't really cost you much, if anything to try it on your own
    2. It's usually not that hard (especially with all the youtube vids and blogs out there to guide people)
    3. you can set stuff up EXACTLY the way you want.
    4. that feeling of accomplishment when you get stuff set up the way you want

I had an 8 string that I custom ordered, and there were a few unlevel frets, and the fretboard started shrinking, so I learned how to level frets and do fret ends from youtube/practicing on cheap guitars. After I was confident in my abilities I did the same work on my 8 string. It plays so much better now.

CM_X5 and laxu like this.
  14. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Agreed! When I was younger I was always afraid of messing something up and there weren't really any videos or anything out there to easily learn from... and I didn't know anything... Like literally zero on what I was supposed to do. Nowadays though there are loads of great tutorials on pretty much everything, and it's so much easier to learn. There's almost no excuse to not know how to do a setup.

And also agreed. If you know how to do it then you can set it up exactly how you want. Asking someone else to do it is always going to be a guessing game for them.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  15. MFB

MFB Banned

Thanks, EA

16. Breeding The Spawn

Breeding The Spawn SS.org Regular

I've had my Ampeg SS70 for about 6 years now, It nails that early 90's Death Metal tone extremely well, but over time I have been wanting a modern tighter high gain combo amp and was about to sell it but I just can't see my myself letting it go since I'm a huge fan of Old School Death Metal.

17. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

XXX had a weird volume drop problem that I couldn't diagnose, but it completely went away when I switched which wall socket I was plugged into

18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

It's taken literally a decade to figure out how to make my JVM sound good.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

My red Hagstrom Swede. Tried so many pickups and kept almost selling it.

Then I got a Fokin Demolition. Made the guitar growl.

Same with my Hagstrom Ultra Max. Had a Duncan Black Winter that I liked at first, but it was getting very bassy at times. On a whim I installed an EMG HZ H4 I had lying around and just like Swede, turned it into a different beast.

20. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

To put it lightly, my Squier complaints come from when I'm not playing clean since I've never been a fan of how the bridge pickup on its own sounds under overdrive/distortion. However, when I go to play clean, I tend to use the bridge + middle position and really enjoy that sound.