Where do you all get your strings?

Iamhated

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a new place to buy custom sets of strings after Stringjoy has decided to screw me on my last order with 2 sets of damaged strings.

I definitely can't go back to ernie ball or something after years of selecting my own gauges...

aWoodenShip

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here's my monthly shout out to the String Source. They make it so easy to buy light top, heavy bottom sets. They have a string calculator to find your preferred tensions and they can do custom sets.

Dayn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I get all of mine from Winspear, and other specialty strings and bass strings from Newtone, both in the UK.

I used to use Kalium, but I can't stomach 10x to 20x the international shipping cost compared to the others.

I also get strings from Stringsbymail, particularly 8-string Savarez sets for my classical, and used to get electric strings from them too.

Iamhated

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
oh nice! checking these out now. I was feeling like I'd run out of air not knowing where my next strings were coming from.

yeah the thing with Dadarrio and some of the other well known guys are they stop making guitar strings at 80 most of my new string buys go on my 8, and I'm starting to think 9 ffs.... so custom is kinda hard to beat

Last edited:

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a new place to buy custom sets of strings after Stringjoy has decided to screw me on my last order with 2 sets of damaged strings.

I definitely can't go back to ernie ball or something after years of selecting my own gauges...
ironically, ernie ball started by selling single strings that could be made into sized custom sets.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Winspear was ok, but the last time I ordered, couple of packs had oxidized strings. And I prefer the sound of NYXL, too.

I can recommend GHS - they make custom sets, I ordered 10x 7 string sets for a multiscale 7-string guitar. Didn't cost too much, I think it was cheaper than 10€ per set. This was in 2018, though.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I went back to Ernie Ball Slinky sets after years and years of giving every absolute fuck i could give about string tension and balanced sets and yada yada. Its really nice to be able to pick up a pack of Slinkies off any GC/MGR shelf and just be done with it.

Thaeon

Cosmic Question Asker
Reaction score
I use NYXLs. I just like them. And they make a set that works well for multiscale 8s with the scale lengths I have.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of .70 strings from Stringjoy on my last round of purchases for the 7th string on my 7's, but I just use d'addario sets of 10's for the rest of the strings. Seems to work fine.

I usually get my d'addario sets from amazon or long & mcquade here in canada.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of .70 strings from Stringjoy on my last round of purchases for the 7th string on my 7's, but I just use d'addario sets of 10's for the rest of the strings. Seems to work fine.

I usually get my d'addario sets from amazon or long & mcquade here in canada.

This is the way, I buy from whoever has the best deal on bulk strings once every 2 - 3 years.

robotwithhumanhair22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use NYXL (10-74) on my eight. I've tried Stringjoy recently (10-80 set) and though they weren't bad, they felt a bit lifeless compared to the D'addario's. NYXL's may not last as long as the Stringjoys but first couple of weeks new they s p a n k .

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Curt Mangan is great for custom sets, you can get like 4 packs of custom set 7 strings for like...43 bucks shipped I think? Pretty decent.