When you realize something isn't quite right...

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Ibby trems usually fit the radius of the necks better since it's their trem designed for their guitar.

JB's have floyds which are bodged to a different radius (Floyd is 10" JB is actually 14"). Even a great setup it's not purpose built for the JB.

Thats my theory anyway

Well, I know that they shim the bridges to fit with the radius of the guitar for OFRs, at least I think they do. Last I remember I asked Chris Hong about it and he said they did, but i dont remember exactly because it was a long time ago.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
+1, I've never been able to play comfortably on Ibanez/Jackson-like necks. After going through lots of guitars I found out that it's easier for me to play on thicker U-shaped necks than on anything else marketed for "comfort and fast playing". Though currently my number one is my Strandberg, it's by far the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. So much that I sold all the others except for a Tele because I never played them anymore.

Do you think that a lot of people's discomfort with thin jackson/ibanez necks is because they started on standard strats or something? I started on Ibanez so it feels the most at home for me.

Reactions: Vyn

cip 123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, I know that they shim the bridges to fit with the radius of the guitar for OFRs, at least I think they do. Last I remember I asked Chris Hong about it and he said they did, but i dont remember exactly because it was a long time ago.
They do (unsure if they did for mine, it's a mess)

But my point is an Ibanez trem is designed for an Ibanez guitar and neck. A floyd is bodged to work for any neck it's still only Radius'd for 10" while a JB200 is 14". A good setup is a good setup, but imo a guitar designed as a whole with similar hardware (such as Ibanez) will trump it.

C_Henderson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you think that a lot of people's discomfort with thin jackson/ibanez necks is because they started on standard strats or something? I started on Ibanez so it feels the most at home for me.

It might have an influence in some cases, but I doubt it's the main factor. I didn't start on a Strat but I quickly gravitated towards them because I found them more comfortable. My first few guitars were Washburn, Ibanez, Epis... none of them lasted long. Strats and Teles fit me a lot better and I still keep one. Had a Vigier for a while too, and while it's a great guitar I didn't feel really at home with it. I think personally my issue with the necks isn't the flatness (my Strandy's Endurneck is thick but as flat as it gets), but the thinness. If I look at my thumb when playing an Ibanez or something similar, its position is very forced most of the time, whereas on my Tele or Strandberg it's effortless.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
They do (unsure if they did for mine, it's a mess)

But my point is an Ibanez trem is designed for an Ibanez guitar and neck. A floyd is bodged to work for any neck it's still only Radius'd for 10" while a JB200 is 14". A good setup is a good setup, but imo a guitar designed as a whole with similar hardware (such as Ibanez) will trump it.

Oh no I'm not denying that fact, just bringing it up for the sake of argument, that's all :)

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, The Petruccis and a lot of the models in the early 00s had Wizard II necks, which are considerably thicker than the standard wizard necks. My RGR580 has a wizard II and I absolutely LOVE that neck.
My ex-axe JPM P2 had significantly thicker neck with very pronouced D shape. It was too thick for me. After years of struggle i stopped loving it for looks/sound because of that neck. I sold it.
I love Jackson speed neck and Ibanez prestige wizard 17mm necks. I also really deeply love the shape of the Skerv Lupus neck profile. While it has some meat to it, it’a still very ergonomic for me. The fact that there is only 1 mm difference in thickness from the nut to the heel is something incredible.

Last edited:

stevexc

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I went through 3 7-strings - Ibanez RG827Z, Ibanez RG7321, and a Schecter Hellraiser 7 - to realize 7-strings aren't for me.

Avedas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It might have an influence in some cases, but I doubt it's the main factor. I didn't start on a Strat but I quickly gravitated towards them because I found them more comfortable. My first few guitars were Washburn, Ibanez, Epis... none of them lasted long. Strats and Teles fit me a lot better and I still keep one. Had a Vigier for a while too, and while it's a great guitar I didn't feel really at home with it. I think personally my issue with the necks isn't the flatness (my Strandy's Endurneck is thick but as flat as it gets), but the thinness. If I look at my thumb when playing an Ibanez or something similar, its position is very forced most of the time, whereas on my Tele or Strandberg it's effortless.
Maybe it's the unconventional shape throwing me off but I don't find Strandberg necks feel thick at all. I enjoy tele sounds but I find all the typical Fender style teles completely unplayable. I'm really hoping to get a modern specced tele somewhat soon.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Reaction score

I think this has some merit. That being said, the first electrics I ever played were the highschool sx squire strats, yet I've ended up prefering Jackson/Ibanez profiles (especially the Ibanez Prestige 7 profile).

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
I think this has some merit. That being said, the first electrics I ever played were the highschool sx squire strats, yet I've ended up prefering Jackson/Ibanez profiles (especially the Ibanez Prestige 7 profile).

ibanez 7 string necks are the best i've played. the thinner necks make playing 6th and 7th strings so easy.

C_Henderson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe it's the unconventional shape throwing me off but I don't find Strandberg necks feel thick at all. I enjoy tele sounds but I find all the typical Fender style teles completely unplayable. I'm really hoping to get a modern specced tele somewhat soon.

That's what I like about it, it doesn't feel like it, but it's definitely quite thick compared to most modern neck profiles (on the flat part that is). I don't have the measurements but it's a bit thicker than my Tele's, and that doesn't have the modern C-shape either.
It's true that Teles are not the most comfortable guitars to play, but you get used to them quite easily, they have a charm and a sound of their own, and I personally love their U-shaped necks. With the Strandberg and the Tele I've got both modern and traditional ground covered. That said, the Salen is very tempting...

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Not to me. Jackson’s are fine, but Ibanez are unnecessarily wide toothpicks. They have extra wide string spacing compared to say a JP7/JP6, and have so much more “shoulder” that it feels like work to just play the notes I want. And then there is the fact that it’s so thin that my left thumb/hand gets uncomfortable pretty quick. To my preferences Ibanez’s “thickest” neck the Wizard 3, is the only remotely decent profile they have.

I started on a strat knock off with only 21 frets, but my preferred radius is 16”, and ESP’s extra-thin flat (M series bolt ons) or extra thin U (the M1 neckthrough). Jackson’s are a D shape but at least the string spacing is closer than Ibanez, and it doesn’t feel like shoulder city to me.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
For me, it's flying v's. I always loved the look and the idea of all that upper fret access, I just don't feel comfortable playing any of the v shapes I've tried.

This was the expensive realization I had recently, which was the premise of starting this thread in the first place: I wasnt getting on with my Kiesel v220 or my Charvel CRR-068 and I couldnt figure out why, and I realized it was the lack of comfort I had playing them: No belly cut, no forearm contour, none of the things that my JB200, Ibanezes, or my new (to me) Cobran give me.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've stuck primarily with the same guitar for 10 years. No regrets. It wasn't my first custom guitar, so maybe it takes an iteration or two to figure out what you really want.

Maybe you should just go ahead and pick up an Oni.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

Try out the charvel teles.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
Great thread. Reflects the sentiment of my 50 or so guitar flurry over the last 4 years soo well. Grew up on an Ibanez Wizard neck. I go through months where I'm convinced Ibby necks and RG bodies were sculpted in heaven from the shred gods and I sell everything else. Then I about-face and have these moments of self reflection and shock that I could have ever formed that view because they are so damn hard to chord on and play patterns down the neck like 3-5-7. Then I sell some of them and buy others. Then I go into the I need an LP style guitar for chunky tones. Then I remember I hate playing LPs. They literally hurt me. Then a 7 string. Then clearly not. Oh and Floyd Roses just don't work for me. My hand hits the tuners and drives me insane. I've tried and tried and I can't get over it and won't. .......Rinse and repeat. I'm in a slump right now. Can't figure out how to solve for the chunky tone axe, and can't settle on a locking trem guitar that works for me. The only thing that is working for me right now is my Schecter Banshee (first run of them MIK) that neck SLS ultra-thin 12-16 compound 41.3 FR / 42 HT neck seems like the perfect middle ground between all the others. Crazy how after all these guitars I land on probably the least expensive one of them all. Which was another learning - price does not correlate whatsoever to a guitar I will like.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Great thread. Reflects the sentiment of my 50 or so guitar flurry over the last 4 years soo well. Grew up on an Ibanez Wizard neck. I go through months where I'm convinced Ibby necks and RG bodies were sculpted in heaven from the shred gods and I sell everything else. Then I about-face and have these moments of self reflection and shock that I could have ever formed that view because they are so damn hard to chord on and play patterns down the neck like 3-5-7. Then I sell some of them and buy others. Then I go into the I need an LP style guitar for chunky tones. Then I remember I hate playing LPs. They literally hurt me. Then a 7 string. Then clearly not. Oh and Floyd Roses just don't work for me. My hand hits the tuners and drives me insane. I've tried and tried and I can't get over it and won't. .......Rinse and repeat. I'm in a slump right now. Can't figure out how to solve for the chunky tone axe, and can't settle on a locking trem guitar that works for me. The only thing that is working for me right now is my Schecter Banshee (first run of them MIK) that neck SLS ultra-thin 12-16 compound 41.3 FR / 42 HT neck seems like the perfect middle ground between all the others. Crazy how after all these guitars I land on probably the least expensive one of them all. Which was another learning - price does not correlate whatsoever to a guitar I will like.

I find myself going through that too. I still think Ibby wizard necks are the best out there (for me***) but having different neck profiles around (OG wizard on my rg5000, super wizard on my 550, Wizard II on my 580, then the Thinner profile on the JB200, and that jackson neck on the cobran) has taught me a lot that what I really like are thin necks because my fingers aren't long enough AND they kinda curve in towards my middle finger. That makes stretches REALLY hard sometimes and only thin necks have worked for me with long stretches. I'm not against thicker necks mind you, I DID own an RC1720SGM before and that thing had a baseball bat for a neck, and the Ibanez AZ necks are chunky as well.