When you realize something isn't quite right...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MatiasTolkki, Aug 24, 2018.

1. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

The thing is I'm used to hearing distorted guitar so that's where I can tell if a guitar sounds good or not. Clean sound almost always sounds good to me...

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  2. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

It
    It just drives me crazy visually, I just can't stand it.

3. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

It
    It just drives me crazy visually, I just can't stand it.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  4. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

My sole contribution is to dredge up the Steinberger stuff from page 1:

The NS guitar has never been available in a production capacity, though several prototypes are owned by a braggart. Last I heard, Ned’s EU distribution was limited to his Czech-built basses. He really hasn’t bothered rebuilding his brand in a competitive sense since the Gibson contract ended. I’m just glad we have Hipshot, ABM, and Strandberg flying the headless hardware flag.

I play music likes this.
  5. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Lol, had to look up what a braggart is :lol:
    I feel like his focus these days is on the bow instruments, they seem to be quite successful (with way less competition I guess) and they actually are in stock in a lot of music stores unlike the basses.
    I hope that the basses will follow though and that he follows through with the guitars as well. That prototype he presented was more than 3 years ago, right?

6. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Ibby trems usually fit the radius of the necks better since it's their trem designed for their guitar.

JB's have floyds which are bodged to a different radius (Floyd is 10" JB is actually 14"). Even a great setup it's not purpose built for the JB.

Thats my theory anyway

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  7. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I can't stand HSH because I have no use for the middle pickup. I prefer HH with a 5 way selector for coil split and parallel settings. I also think HSH is kinda ugly, although I don't really have an issue with HSS.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  8. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

Honestly, this has been a contributing factor to me getting away from Ibanez. I was so enamored with the thin necks for so many years that I didn't realize how counterproductive it was to how I play. I picked up a PRS Holcomb recently and experienced a level of "effortless-ness" that I haven't experienced in a VERY long time. And again, it was just the realization that I should be getting guitars that cater to HOW I play, not WHAT I play.

9. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

Well, to be fair, The Petruccis and a lot of the models in the early 00s had Wizard II necks, which are considerably thicker than the standard wizard necks. My RGR580 has a wizard II and I absolutely LOVE that neck.

auxioluck likes this.
  10. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I tried a PRS Holcomb and the neck felt like a baseball bat to me. I like the neck on my Jackson Dinky though, so I'm not particularly looking for anything paper thin. I recently tried a Majesty again and the neck finish felt super sticky on my thumb. I think I'm slowly developing an annoying set of preferences though.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

for me was to realize how uncomfortable an LP is.

Always love them, finally got a LTD EC256 to kill my LP GAS, after honeymoon period I end up picking up my other guitar (Ibanez iceman) more and more, till the point I was barely using it. Visually its beautiful (although couple things I hate on this particular finish), but I couldnt stand to play with the guitr on my lap. And I thought the "short scale" wasnt gonna be a factor, but every time I pick my ibanez, or more recently a squier strat I end up swaping the guitar over, I found myself at home. So no more 24.75" guitars for me. And as muhc I love the looks of a LP, its a big NOPE

12. auxioluck

Wow, I honestly didn't even think of that. The early 2000 Ibbys were my favorite, and I had a Petrucci in 2006-2008. Huh. Had no idea.

I wish I could give you a million likes; I've been thinking that my disliking of newer Ibby necks was just in my head!

13. auxioluck

That was actually my first impression of the Holcomb neck too, but once I started playing my own stuff through it (80% riffs/20% leads), I realized how much I had struggled with chording on Ibby necks over the last few years at least.

Kind of the beauty of the whole "preference" thing. This thread has been fun to read through, seeing all the other things people prefer and why.

14. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Given that the LTD neck profile and body shape aren't quite LP's, you may still like something like a gibson LP studio or PRS singlecut - just not the EC line. Just a thought :yesway:

Flappydoodle likes this.
  15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I know, but at the same time I didnt had an issue with the neck, I was happy with it. and althouhg I know EC's are thinner boddies, my issue with the guitar was how bad it balanced on your legs and how uncomfortable it was to play. I dont see a ticker boddy fixing that issue. Plus I didnt gell with the combination of short scale, less frets (coming from 24 frets guitars), and single cut body. It all felt weird too weird

budda and MatiasTolkki like this.
  16. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

They havent used the MIJ wizard IIs in forever, but quite a few of the early 2000 RGs had them. I dont know which ones had them outside Japan, but i'm sure you could find a couple :)

EDIT:

Oh and the Petrucci necks were called Viper necks. You could also go through perle guitars and order an MIJ wizard II neck IIRC.

auxioluck likes this.
  17. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Then yes, you're probably right :lol:

A-Branger likes this.
  18. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Now let’s work on the spelling.

19. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Amen to that!

20. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

+1, I've never been able to play comfortably on Ibanez/Jackson-like necks. After going through lots of guitars I found out that it's easier for me to play on thicker U-shaped necks than on anything else marketed for "comfort and fast playing". Though currently my number one is my Strandberg, it's by far the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. So much that I sold all the others except for a Tele because I never played them anymore.

MatiasTolkki likes this.