When to use extra trem strings?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Chocopuppet, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Chocopuppet

Chocopuppet Woof Bark Woof

Trem springs*

So, I'm restringing my Ibanez Premium RG927BK with a set of 12-52s (dat wound 3rd) + a 65 for the 7th string. Tuning shall be Drop G# fo dat Contortionist and Periphery action.

When I got this beautiful axe, it included a set of extra trem springs for "high-gauge strings." Should I put those in when I put these heavier strings on?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. MBMoreno

MBMoreno SS.org Regular

If you can't balance the bridge with the already installed springs, then yes. Question here is, do you know how to balance the bridge? Quite simple, and I think it is something everyone should learn doing for themselves

3. Chocopuppet

Well, I've worked with the Edge Zero Trem in the past and know how to get it all lined up with the Zero-point system if that's what you're askin'

4. MBMoreno

MBMoreno SS.org Regular

Well then, the same principle applies to almost all trems. If you see you can't balance it with the existing springs, or think they are over-stretched, use an extra one or install the "extra tension" ones.

I recently changed the springs on a guitar I have with a Wilkinson trem and instead of the two I had, putting the new DiMarzio ones, I had to put three.

5. Chocopuppet

Many thanks, broseph. I appreciate it.

6. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Of course you can also angle the springs to increase their tension.
    I'd suggest using whatever it takes so that the claw screws are in their middle zone.
    You don't want to add springs and then have to back the screws way out to their last few threads.
    Sometime when the strings/springs are off it's a good idea to take one of the claw screws all the way out just so you know what you are working with.