When Does A Guitar Become Too Expensive?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by XtremeMetalGod1, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

You sir are a wise man :yesway:

/thread

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Actually if you look and see what most touring musicians use, compared to bedroom shredders, you'd notice that typically they play cheaper guitars, using cheaper amps in comparison.

3. Evil7

Evil7 LowCrushingMetal

:yesway: alot of touring artists dont want to mess up a really nice instrument/amp on the road.

4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I'm a cheap guitar guy through and through, so I'd have to say that my definition of too expensive is when the price reflects more of the intangibles (brand-name status, sentimentality, collector value, etc.) than the tangibles (value of actual hardware, quality of construction).

5. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

It's not because they're cheaper so much as they are 'easier to replace if they get busted', which often leads to cheaper. Example: touring artists often use 5150 / 6505s even though they used Uberschalls, Diezels, etc in the studio because the Peavey gets the job done and they're easy to replace anytime / anywhere if it explodes, lights on fire, is hurled at the guy that threw his water bottle at you, etc.

6. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

I love my humble 7321, and if anyone thinks its a cheap shitty guitar, then screw them. I love it. :hbang:

7. Zahs

Zahs Hmm, Upgrades?

Well, this is a great thread,

In my opinion, a guitar is never too expensive, whether i can afford it is the difference... factors such as quality, features etc come into play as well. but what i do find is that with the more expensive guitars i own, for example js1200, i baby it too much, i become too careful because i have that fear of getting it damaged or whatever, therefore i believe the mid-range guitars for example, in comparison with the js1200, the Rg1570 is just as good plus they don't destroy your wallet.

8. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Thread should've ended here.

Sebastian likes this.
  9. Evil7

Evil7 LowCrushingMetal

i own one as well....Didnt want to shell out alot if i didnt like the seven strings..... Ended up loving seven strings .. Twas my first seven. not the greatest guitar but its still my back up.:agreed: My Agile Owns my 7321 in every way tho.
    so glad i upgraded a bit.

10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I agree with that, I'm currently ordering a guitar that is WAY overkill for my playign skills but I can afford it and want it. Resale value is probably going to be very bad, and I don't really care since I'm ordering my "dream instument". (And at 37 it's not something that will change in 2 weeks)

11. BurialWithin

BurialWithin NAM SAND!!

when it says gibson OR when it says prestige but it is still made out of basswood, crappy paint, and no name pickups and cost over $1000.00

12. Gameboypdc

Gameboypdc SS.org Regular

I guess I should have said what I really felt and that was...

A guitar becomes too expensive when it's a Gibson because it's a Gibson.

13. XtremeMetalGod1

XtremeMetalGod1 Rythm Player of Deth

i agree as well, when i had only been playing for 1 year i bought myself a $750 guitar which for me def was overkill because $750 is alot at 14 years old, but now it fits my every need.

Malacoda likes this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You know, the cost of basswood compared to other woods is negligible when guitars are made on a large scale. Also, basswood is not bad, not by any means, hence why it's been used for so long, and it's still a desired wood by many.

What has happened is guitarists have fallen for one of the biggest marketing ploys in the entire guitar industry. The fact that certain woods are a premium. Are there truly unique woods, with great properties, and cost a ton to procure? Of course, though the typical Ash, Alder, and Mahogany are not. No matter what Gibson or Fender has said over the years in order to alter your perceptions and take your money.

The only thing the separates Basswood from Mahogany are the preferences of the player.

I've done the foot work pricing out hardwood in huge quantities, and really, the price difference for each is literally pennies per board foot, if any at all. You're not getting "ripped off" for buying an expensive Basswood guitar.

Just take a look at LMII, how incredibly cheap some of these "hallowed" materials really are. Then look at what some companies charge for these "upgrades".

15. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

When you have to ask how much costs. :lol:

Joking aside I would say it's whatever you can comfortably afford.

16. Solstafir

Solstafir SS.org Regular

A guitar is too expensive when you've thrown an enormous amount of cash to obtain one, and are afraid not to ding/scratch/leave fingerprints, and can't enjoy playing it; it's lost its purpose.

17. AliceAxe

AliceAxe SS.org Regular

it becomes to much when the price is etremely inflated , just because someone famous played it like Clapton:

Eric Clapton's guitar auction

so what? he is just another guitar playing dude to me, so what if he was the one who put the wear into them?

on the upside, in this case, these are prices of guitars that sold in an auction for charity, so the price served a noble purpose, which then makes it justified in light of that.

I feel the same thing about stuff autographed. I'd rather have something without someone else's scribbles on it , thank you.

18. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

You're right! There's nothing wrong with basswood. It just happens to be more available right now, which makes it cheap. It also just happens to have great tonal qualities. The guitar companies would like to make you think that basswood isn't nearly as good as another wood, but the wood is just one small part in what you hear with your ears.

If alder, ash, or mahogany were highly available then they would be cheap too.

19. GigantoRobotico

GigantoRobotico Well-Known Member

I've always had this figure of £3000.

I can't see a guitar being worth that much to me, ever.

Having said that, if, in a few years time, I find myself lusting after a guitar built on the moon with diamond inlays, platinum frets and mammoth ivory nut, I might readjust that figure.

Also have to get a better job.

20. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

Imo for production companies the cut off number for me is getting anywhere close to 2,000$ usd.

At that point you could start looking at full customs from luthiers who will build you what that same company will charge you 4000$ for.

Honestly the difference your getting in quality past around 1200~ish$ for most companies is pretty negligible. Your talking about small leaps in quality for HUGE leaps in cash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.