When did Cort start making such nice guitars?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Hoss632, Feb 14, 2021.

1. AleaG

AleaG SS.org Regular

New video from Fluff:

josh1 and Wuuthrad like this.
  2. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I saw it. Guitar sounds and looks cool. Though I'll say the choice of scale length is a bit odd.

3. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

A bit awesome you mean ;)

Zhysick likes this.
  4. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

if it feels good I'd play it. I guess I just don't see the point of a multi-scale that's 25.5 on the low end to 24.75 on the high end myself.

5. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

I think it’s a great idea to have a fan fret of traditional scale lengths, as it will probably appeal to more players. It does for me anyway, I don’t see the need for multi scales to be limited to extended range instruments.

HoneyNut, Wolfhorsky and Zhysick like this.
  6. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Valid point. I pretty much have no experience playing a Les Paul scale length so I'm pretty much use to just a 25 inch or 25.5 inch scale guitar wise.

Wuuthrad likes this.
  7. danbox

danbox SS.org Regular

I could see it being nice for standard/drop d or half step down? A little more slinky-ness for the top strings.

I don’t know if it’s just me being old/weak/whatever but bending a full step 10s on 25.5” sometimes still feels too hard. even tuned like a full step down... maybe it’s always been this hard and a decade of not playing let me forget.

Zhysick and Wuuthrad like this.
  8. bjjman

bjjman SS.org Regular

I just got one of their B4 Artisan Plus basses today and I'm impressed. Mine was shipped direct from the distributor, so no local setup, but it came out of the box playing very nicely. Roasted fretboard is so dark and feels great. The MarkBass preamp is better than the preamp in the Ibanez equivalents, so sounds better to my ears with the same Bartolini MK1 pickups. Spec is amazing for the price.

It's not perfect, with a couple of cosmetic blemishes. Some of the masking for the finish wasn't perfect and there's a strand of dust stuck in the finish in one spot on the top. No issues that affect sound or playability and I still think it looks killer. Very happy.

Wuuthrad likes this.
  9. AngryPossum

AngryPossum SS.org Regular

I currently own 2 Cort guitars. Awesome guitars. This is one of my baby's. A Cort MGM. Amazing guitar. img1563476404736.png

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  10. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

Bump. Was wondering if anyone did end up getting the G300 Pro that started this thread?

Cheers.

11. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

ATM they seem kinda hard to come by. Only place I've been able to really find them is on reverb. I don't know what retailers in the U.S carry Cort. I'm still waiting on a couple more reviews from some guitarists that I trust as well.

12. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

A few shops here in Portland, OR carry Cort if you're interested.

Hoss632 likes this.
  13. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

No idea what happened, but around like 2018, Cort just took a massive leap, introduced a ton of new models that are comparably cheap imitations of the modern shredder stuff we already love (from like Suhr, Jackson, Charvel, and even a model super akin to the Washburn WM526, etc.), and Cort seems to have bumped their quality quite considerably in their Indonesian factory because some of the specs, finishes, and details have all come across as spot-on according to many gear reviewers.

The fact that Cort is strictly cheaper produced guitars from an Indonesian factory still kind of has me a bit hesitant personally, as I've played some pretty shitty guitars from the lower-tier, mass-manufacturing plants in Indonesia, China, etc. The specs on some of the Cort stuff still looks cool though, no doubt. Especially on some of their offset models. At least, the offsets are definitely cooler than Cort's take on the more traditional, classic designs that get regurgitated endlessly by every brand and their mother.

Speaking of offset designs, Cort's decision to license a line of Manson designs was also a huge power move since Manson stuff was relatively unavailable outside of Europe (specifically the U.K.) and cost a premium previously. Now, Cort makes cheaper, super affordable, super beginner-friendly Manson guitar models.

The Cort Artisan basses all look wonderful and definitely fill a bit of a void in the market for "big box" brand, mass manufactured stuff. (A void that Ibanez seems to be the only other competitor in.)

14. jwguitar

jwguitar SS.org Regular

They have been making good guitars since the late 90s but I would say kicked things up a notch since about 2015. That is when they were bought out by the same distributor that does Washburn and Hagstrom. They have been putting out some fabulous guitars that are on par with other big brand names. In fact they build many brands such as Ibanez and PRS SE at their factory. Cort can offer their guitars at lower prices to the customer because their brand is not as advertised. However, they have some or all of the same features as the bigger guys. Here is my Cort CR300 Les Paul. Every bit as good as the real thing:

15. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

I think it's a stretch to say Cort has been making consistently good guitars for decades. While they do have the capacity given their OEM function, their house brand guitars do suffer from issues which plague small brands, which is QC consistency. I try not to generalise, but a buddy of mine growing up had an X6 with a warped neck so it's always buzzing on the bass side despite high action, and the licensed FR cannot handle the slightest of bends. My cousin I grew up with had a G2XX series that I felt wasn't anything special beyond being a beginner's guitar, and locally there are stories of their acoustics having their tuning heads come loose after some years.

That said, as mentioned in this thread, this G300 Pro is quite something. It ticks all the boxes so at their street prices, they definitely look like loss leaders.