What's YOUR favorite metalguitar tone?

gunch

Riff Chugman
Reaction score
How long was he using the tone zone, doesn't that pickup have massive bass? Because that's not what I would first think listening to his fast, precise tracking.

TheDandy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My current favourite is Black Crown Initiate's Violent Portraits of Doomed Escape. It has a sort of dry crunchiness that I really enjoy and haven't really heard anywhere else, especially on an 8 string.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
My current favourite is Black Crown Initiate's Violent Portraits of Doomed Escape. It has a sort of dry crunchiness that I really enjoy and haven't really heard anywhere else, especially on an 8 string.

I'm really curious to see what happens with BCI going forward; with the vocalist leaving for the already-submerged ship that is THE FACELESS, and their guitarist leaving not long after that, I wonder if it'll be the same.

TheDandy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm really curious to see what happens with BCI going forward; with the vocalist leaving for the already-submerged ship that is THE FACELESS, and their guitarist leaving not long after that, I wonder if it'll be the same.
Yeah I've been going on a "mourning Andy Thomas" BCI binge lately. I think the vocalist said he intends to continue the band, but with the guy who wrote all the music and lyrics gone I don't see how it can still sound like BCI.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
One of my all time faves for guitar tones is Godflesh's Selfless album:

Arguably not their best album, but the guitars on it are just so crushing sounding. Of course, a bit part of it is how well the guitars fit with the massive bass tone.

akinari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How long was he using the tone zone, doesn't that pickup have massive bass? Because that's not what I would first think listening to his fast, precise tracking.
I'm not sure if its a TZ or a Norton, and which ever one it is, it's flipped backwards for a brighter sound. Rob uses really light strings - .008 to .038 - so they have less low end than 10s or something. But he was using that Dimarzio after his original bridge pup went microphonic during the 95 Japan tour. Used the same guitar on the No One Knows What the Dead Think record too, but they tracked that with Friedmans.

NotAHoarder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Anthrax - Among The Living
Anthrax - Persistence of Time
Dokken - Back For The Attack
Cannibal Corpse - Violence Unimagined
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
Testament - The Ritual
Testament - Low
Van Halen - Fair Warning

BusinessMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dont remember if I said it in this thread before but Vader's guitar tone on reign in blood/XXV is probably my favorite. It's so chunky and clear

jruivo26

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Van Halen - Fair warning - 'nuff said
Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare - there's something about the RYTHM tone (not lead) on that album that just makes me do the "stank face", specially in The Audience is Listening. But what can I say, I'm a sucker for that Universe "hollow bark"

NotAHoarder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Van Halen - Fair warning - 'nuff said
Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare - there's something about the RYTHM tone (not lead) on that album that just makes me do the "stank face", specially in The Audience is Listening. But what can I say, I'm a sucker for that Universe "hollow bark"
If you listen to Fair Warning carefully, the tone is actually different on every song. He tweaked the controls to cater to each song. The "Mean Street" tone is the best on the record