What's wrong with Michael Keene?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Velokki, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

This is not meant to be a thread to defame a person.
    Especially because Keene has been perhaps the most important inspiration for me, in regards to composition and lead guitar playing.

So, after many years of being a fan, I decided to get his lessons late last year.
    Basically, it went like this:
    In the beginning of 2016, I e-mailed him of my interest in lessons, also dropped a couple of mails during the year. His communication was very poor. I mean, sometimes he'd answer and sometimes just not. In the beginning of December, we agreed to have 4 lessons for 150 dollars. I paid the man. We then set the date for our first lesson.

Well, at the agreed time, he didn't show up. Messaged me back about an hour after the agreed time that he thought it was another day. I'm no psychologist, but it felt like an excuse. But yeah, I took absolutely no offense and we agreed to have the lesson the day after. Well, same thing again, did not show up. I think he said that his Skype was not working. Well, absolutely a bull.... excuse. He could've used his phone, tablet or computer. He was unresponsive and did not show up anymore that night. Well, we agreed to push it back for the day after again.

To be honest, I can't remember if we also had one more no-show day like that, but in the end, we had the lesson (after over 1,5 hours of waiting past the agreed upon time, which was a bit of a pain since I do have a schedule). The lesson itself was good, and he seemed allright. It was mainly about production and did get some good information on topics I wanted to discuss, so it was good.

Well, after that we messaged a couple of times and it took a month or so to lock down the date for the second lesson. Well... he never showed up.

After this, now... 5 months? 5 months he's not answered my messages, and still has my 150 dollars. I've been very, very understanding and generous towards him, and gave absolutely no reason for any of this behavior.

Now about a couple of months back he had a Facebook post where he advertised lessons, and said just to contact him and let's set one up. Well, I just commented on the post somewhere along the lines that "perhaps you should do the remaining, paid-for lessons with other students first before taking new ones, you got my 150 dollars still, and haven't heard back from you in months"? Next time I checked whether he'd answered to the comment, the whole post had been deleted. I thought to myself that "duude, he must have a lot of audacity to just delete a post, without caring to answer me at all, since it was evident to both of us that he'd read it".

Also, I've messaged him every now and then (perhaps once or twice a month), and often when I messaged him on Skype, he popped online for a minute or two and then just went offline again. He just read the messages and didn't bother to answer.

Now, I'm not really concerned about the money, but it's the way I'm being treated like here. Him having totally no respect for a paying customer, is what bugs me. I put a request by PayPal for him to pay me back a couple of weeks back - unsurprisingly I never received anything.

Now today my friend linked me this:
    http://lambgoat.com/news/28318/The-Faceless-cancel-tour-called-unprofessional-by-promoter

Basically I'm interested if any of you have had similar experiences with the man? Should I just continue to wait it out, or?

It just seems that he's completely in indifferent and cold. This hurts for me to say, since I've been obsessed with his work for the last 6 years or so, and has been without a doubt my number 1 influence in regards to lead guitar playing.

Does anyone know what his problem is? I'd gladly understand and help him out to the best of my abiity, and work with the situation we have, whatever it would be. I don't mind waiting for the lessons if he's having a tough time in his life or something. But he does not really give me, or seemingly others either, a whole lot of room or reasons to have any kind of respect for him.

TheHandOfStone likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

How does that saying go, about meeting one's heroes?

Sorry this happened.

3. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Ya the whole The Faceless scenario is strange, constant lineup changes, constant cancelling of tours, release date postponing, etc.

I dunno what he does exactly. They don't tour that much, and they've only released 3 album in what, 11 years....

That said, all their albums have been nothing short of amazing haha

4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Great player, but a total tool otherwise.

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

6. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Seems like drug addict behavior and depression.

7. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

I'm really sad to see things like this happen. I can really relate to this.

For 8 weeks i've been trying to get the members of my band to finalize our Album. Everything is recorded. The Engineer is sitting with premixes he's wanting to get reviewed so mixing can be finalized and mastering can begin.
    4 people are unable to properly communicate with one another. I'm trying get something done 3 times a week and always hear the same excuses. We haven't practiced in months. Everytime we agree on a rehearsal date, one to 3 people just don't show up. It's a frustrating situation. I would be fine with everyone telling me they are done. We could then just get the album out and call this thing off. I could then just get back to normal life and focus on my own musical endeavours.

I often have the feeling, that working with musicians (especially when they are not doing music for a living) is really hard. I can't really count on anyone in this situation. Makes me really mad.

I can't stand people giving a word and then breaking it without even talking to me...

8. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

The Shameless

9. WishIwasfinnish

WishIwasfinnish SS.org Regular

I've heard from some people that claim to know him that he's addicted to heroin. Seems like that would pretty much explain all this, and your missing money. Very sad, I hope he gets his .... together before he's dead.

10. Big_taco

Big_taco SS.org Regular

Edit*

decided to stay out of the rumor mill.

DiezelMonster likes this.
  11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Not to make light of the OP's situation, but, in the early 1990's, when I was trying to get lessons with just random local guitarists around the Detroit area, I ran into much of the same sort of shenanigans. The difference being that you guys would have never heard of the guitarists who were paid to stand me up for my lessons when I was a teenager.

12. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

What's wrong with Michael Keene?

Who?

13. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

The Faceless

14. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

That's a real bummer man. Unfortunately, not surprising, given that it's Keene.

:scratch:
    I've never understood the mentality of these sort of posts.

15. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

Seems like the Johnny Craig scandal all over again. Very unfortunate man. I hope somebody makes light of this ASAP.

16. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Hopefully more Johnny Craig and less Justin Lowe... :(

I've been kind of depressed musically... it seems like every time I've discovered a new guitarist lately, I find out he died too young and left far too little material behind.

17. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I think he's being entirely genuine here.

If I didn't know who he was I probably wouldn't understand all the hubbub surrounding an artist who has released three CDs over a decade and hasn't released anything new in almost half a decade.

There's some cosmic irony in that the artist who Keene himself sounded the most like, Necrophagist's Muhammad S., had a similar story: burst on the scene with a couple incredible releases, seem like the future of the genre, only to fizzle into obscurity.

ChrisRushing likes this.
  18. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Fair enough. I guess I could be less cynical.

Funny, yeah. It was a similar thing with Job for a Cowboy, at least success-wise. Their last album was actually really good though. Cool songwriting, and the guitar tone was the most vicious I've heard in a while on anything.

19. Floppystrings

Floppystrings SS.org Regular

People who are very creative usually have very active minds, and it can cause a lot of anxiety, which can lead to other bad things.

20. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

After reading all the facebook comments it really seems he has a heroin problem.

If that's really the case, he should just admit to it, get the help he needs and stop putting his band through these lies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.