What's the wax to protect necks?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by OmegaSlayer, Apr 20, 2016.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Hello guys, can you please share what's the wax you use to protect necks oiled with tung?
    (Basically I need to strip gloss finish from a neck and then oil it and protect it with wax from sweat/dampness/etc...)
    I need to know what kind of wax it is, not the brand, as in Italy I won't find the exact same brand, but I'll have to find something with the same composition.
    Thanks a lot!

2. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Watch uncle Ben's tutorial on refinishing your neck, he uses Birchwood Casey Tru Oil and Gunstock Wax, both of which you can buy off of amazon UK, like I did. Local gun stores might also have it, check their webstores at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDm4JKtICk

3. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Yep, the idea is right from Uncle Ben's tutorial...but didn't get the name and doubted I could find it on Amazon.
    Just checked on Amazon.it and it seems they have it!

4. Manton Customs

Manton Customs SS.org Regular

Any good paste wax will work. Generally beeswax is the most common choice for guitar necks. My personal favourite is Renaissance wax which is made from a byproduct of crude oil. It is superior to all the others in my opinion, being harder wearing, offering more protection and will not show fingerprints like beeswax.

Some other popular brands are Briswax and Liberon Black Bison, both are a blend of waxes such as beeswax and Carnuba. If you can't find any of those brands just make sure you get one without silicone in it (like some of the aerosol wax polishes)