Whats the song it seems "Everyone" can play that you did/still struggle with

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Louis Cypher, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Eruption, too. The timing on the main tapping line feels weird, the stretches feel hard, if-not impossible to just 'drop in place' and when you actually do get them, having my hands stretched so much lock them up so that they don't want to release to open string when you descend. I've been working on that for like 20 years.

Mind you, I'm a tapping guy. I could play most White Lion or Winger in my sleep but I can't play about 75% of Eruption at all.

Another one for me is the ascending run at the end of the Bark at the Moon solo. Hard to sync up and down strokes for the string changes on that, in time and cleanly in one position muchless three.

Rosal76 likes this.
  2. Nonapod

Nonapod SS.org Regular

Playing the lead line of ACDC Thunderstruck at the correct speed is much harder than it seems like it should be. And once you get it to speed it's a true test of stamina to keep it going.

In the same vein, on bass, some of Michael Anthony's lines are tough to keep going despite bing super simple two finger pulsing on a single note. Try playing Poundcake or Seventh Seal for their entire durations without your right hand cramping up for example.

Alex79 likes this.
  3. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

The 2 hand tapping part in Van Halen's Spanish fly song is also pretty tough to play with it's long finger stretches. To me, it's more of a finger stretch exercise than a song. LOL. To be fair, though, the Van Halen guitar tab book I use could be totally wrong.

4. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

So many lead guitar parts by Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and early ( Kill Em All) Metallica... most songs are relatively easy until it gets to that "one part"... and then I'm like "Ah yes... this is why KK, and Iommi, and Kirk are considered gods".

JimF, setsuna7 and wannabguitarist like this.
  5. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Many parts of Sultans of Swing. I suck at chording/arpeggiating the high strings with any finesse.

iamaom likes this.
  6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Back in the day, I didn't know any guitarist who could comfortably play or try to play any part of Sultans of Swing :shrug: Knopfler is known as a beast on guitar, and Dire Straits somehow managed to have a few hits that combined technical skills with sounding good to a large audience. Hell, the bass on that song is just as groovy as the guitar lines, and while I can "play it," you'd think I was a kid playing Guitar Hero struggling to get through Expert mode by the end of it.

The906 likes this.
  7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

One of my favorite solos is the one in Bark at the Moon. I love the scalar run that happens at the end, and leads into the main riff again. But damn, I have a difficult time doing that run. It’s not hard, but I just mix up the note order every damn time. It just doesn’t seem natural to me at all.

8. Avitus

Avitus SS.org Regular

Blood and Thunder. I eventually get the riffs right but I can never remember them right without hearing the drums too.

iamaom and setsuna7 like this.
  9. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Lamb of god - Laid to rest.

The last bar of the first riff. Mostly I can't stay in time with it but sometimes I screw it up completely. :facepalm:

10. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Freaking Bleed for me, no matter how long I practice with metronome and that, it doesn't click

11. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Great replies so far and I am glad I'm not the onlly one suffering on Eruption!
    The overriding feeling it seems is the same I have it seems, when you look at what else you are capable of playing, there "should" be no issues with the tracks mentioned! haha!

I will also +1 on Master of Puppets being a pain in my ar$e

setsuna7 likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

lynyrd skynyrd- simple man (the picking pattern for the main riff is very specific, but I always end up cheating and just strumming it)
    blood and thunder-those damn sliding powerchords usually mess me up at some point
    Anything by Necrophagist or Kreator gives me a shitload of trouble

13. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

What was difficult with Kreator? Riffs? Guitar solos?

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

alot of the rhythm stuff is very fast shifts and slides often multiple in the same measure

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Alex79 and Rosal76 like this.
  15. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

For the love of fuck, I cannot get the correct timing down for the intro riff to Blackened. Something about the drums when they come in just completely fucks me up.

setsuna7 likes this.
  16. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

"Everybody" can play Eruption only because "everybody" plays it wrong.

That being said, Eruption.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  17. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I could say Eruption, but I never even attempted it. Actually, only Van Halen song I think I ever even bothered trying to learn was Dance The Night Away.

Anyway, I'll add Master of Puppets CORRECTLY I.e. all downpicks.

Edika and setsuna7 like this.
  18. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

John Petrucci didn't (couldn't?) even play Master of Puppets correctly when DT did those tribute shows!

I don't even try to downpick the whole thing, the tendonitis isn't worth the slight difference in sound. :p

Blood and Thunder's main riff is a good one! I've heard people (I think including Mastodon themselves) describe it as an incredibly easy riff that anyone could play. But yeah, those slides at the end just don't work for me consistently. It's whack. It reminds me of the slides on the Master of Puppets verse, coincidentally, which is usually the one part where it sounds strangled when I play it.

19. brector

brector SS.org Regular

All this talk about MoP and down picking is kinda funny to me. When I was a kid learning to play (in the late 80's), I would always down pick. I thought alternating picking was weird and changed the sound.

setsuna7, Alex79 and BenjaminW like this.
  20. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

Canon Rock. I remember learning the song sans the sweeping parts when it was first released and trending on Youtube. Got back to learning it around last x-mas. Still can't play those sweeps anywhere as cleanly as I want to. :(

21. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

Edit: Wtf... a quad post. I really need to get a new mouse. These unwanted multi-clicks are a pain in the ass. :lol: